Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bond/security deposit for campervan rental

Bond/security deposit for campervan rental

Old Oct 15th 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice
Default Re: Bond/security deposit for campervan rental

"So preauth is certainly not standard across the campervan industry."

It would appear so - but I was alluding to cars, not vans. I had no intention of wading through each individual campervan T & Cs. For me, the idea of staying in a campervan for any length of time is similar to having a tooth out without anaesthetic. However, they seem to be the vehicle of choice for UK visitors. Each to their own.

As the cost/charges are spelt out, obviously the OPs parents will need to stump up the card - and hopefully use one with the lowest surcharge, if they intend to hire.

I still wonder why book with a reseller?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

danbushell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for all your tips and advice.
hopefully my parents have got it sorted now.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danbushell
hopefully my parents have got it sorted now.
Can you let us know how? It may help others in future.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

danbushell is an unknown quantity at this point

They've had to pay the security deposit by bankers draft in advance which will then be refunded to them at the end of the hire period.
hopefully there's not too much of a fluctuation in the exchange rate in the meantime.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

OverRun is an unknown quantity at this point

Local advice is to get an Amex card. This is without limit, and you use this for security deposits, while leaving your normal card free for normal transactions.

BTW is it only me or do the Australian campervan hire companies all seem to have the same terms and conditions - one would think they are all owned by the same group.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'll never be hiring a campervan. That's nuts.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We hired a KEA last year and I'm fairly sure the bond wasn't debited upfront.