Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

bommeranging back

bommeranging back

Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

cpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nice
Default bommeranging back

I have posted a few times on BE but I thought I should introduce myself. My name is Claire (37 just) married with 2 boys 8 and 6. We left the Uk 11 years ago and moved to galway on the west coast of Ireland but after 3 years of rain decided to make the big move. My husband (carpenter) and myself had backpacked 15 years ago liked oz and nz and so made a tentative application to Oz. Unbelievably we applied in May and had our visas by Nov the same year - we made the move in June 2000 with 1 yo in tow. Settled in Adelaide (liked it first time round) bought a block up in the hills in Stirling and built our own home.Hubby set up own business - seemed to all be going well - had 2nd child and then after 5 years he started to miss things !!!!!!!!!!!!! Came back to UK for holiday and then sold packed up and moved back by June.
Currently living in Newbury, Berkshire (our home Town) have sold our house and currently in rented accomodation. We have had many bottles of red wine and many hours of soul searching but we have made the decision to move back ( we have citizenship). He says prefers to go to Brisbane although we haven't been there just been to Noosa on hols one year.
That sums us up - I would love to hear from anyone planning on moving towards end of year or from anyone willing to give a bit of advice on good suburbs/schools. We are looking to build ourselves again. He finds it easy being in the building game to meet people but I was a bit stuck before - I am determined it won't happen again ! Appreciate any help/advice etc thanks
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:33 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bommeranging back

nothing of relevance on Oz but I used to live in Hampstead Marshall and went to the Preparatory School in Newbury - think its closed now though.

went to Newbury a few years ago ... holy crap its changed from the 80's!!
Old Mar 25th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

cpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nicecpdods is just really nice

just live 5 mins from hampstead marshall and you're right Newbury has just about linked up with Reading it's rubbish. Only 1.30 pm and already feel rising blood pressure at prospect of battling the traffic to pick kids up from school
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cpdods
I have posted a few times on BE but I thought I should introduce myself. My name is Claire (37 just) married with 2 boys 8 and 6. We left the Uk 11 years ago and moved to galway on the west coast of Ireland but after 3 years of rain decided to make the big move. My husband (carpenter) and myself had backpacked 15 years ago liked oz and nz and so made a tentative application to Oz. Unbelievably we applied in May and had our visas by Nov the same year - we made the move in June 2000 with 1 yo in tow. Settled in Adelaide (liked it first time round) bought a block up in the hills in Stirling and built our own home.Hubby set up own business - seemed to all be going well - had 2nd child and then after 5 years he started to miss things !!!!!!!!!!!!! Came back to UK for holiday and then sold packed up and moved back by June.
Currently living in Newbury, Berkshire (our home Town) have sold our house and currently in rented accomodation. We have had many bottles of red wine and many hours of soul searching but we have made the decision to move back ( we have citizenship). He says prefers to go to Brisbane although we haven't been there just been to Noosa on hols one year.
That sums us up - I would love to hear from anyone planning on moving towards end of year or from anyone willing to give a bit of advice on good suburbs/schools. We are looking to build ourselves again. He finds it easy being in the building game to meet people but I was a bit stuck before - I am determined it won't happen again ! Appreciate any help/advice etc thanks
Hi Claire,

We have been in Cleveland, Bayside Brisbane since the begining of March. Has everything you need, and in easy reach of CBD and surrounding shopping centres. Last train stop in Cleveland. I'm biased, and it all depends what floats your boat, but we prefer Clevaland, its cooler with the sea breeze, and seems more open & less congested than other suburbs we have visited. But I guess this will be true of most outer suburbs further away from the city.
Lot of development going on in the Redlands, although you will pay a lot more for your block than you did in 2000, you may get a big one Mount cotton way, but haven;t really looked into it in great detail as we have yet to sell our house in the Uk so no $$$$$:curse:
My kids are at Cleveland high and CLeveland state....seem ok so far. Omiston is a good private college, Manly and Wynnum lovely but more expensive & not much building land available.
Hope it goes well & you find the right spot for you

Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for replying I will get the map out later and realestate.com and have a look. Good luck with selling your house -what area of the country are you selling in ? We have been surprised that the SOLD signs have started reappearing again in the past couple of weeks hopefully people are looking again. Fingers crossed for you
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Originally Posted by cpdods
Hi Claire,

I'm Louise, Same age three girls,(9,9 and 7) and we plus OH are planning to move to Southeast queensland as well towards the end of the year.

I suppose I'm boomeranging back to. I lived on the North gold coast with my family for eight years and moved back to uk when I was 18 which was 1988. My Dad never settled in Aus (Mum's and aussie)so we all moved back to blighty.

Now my mum moved back to aus a few years ago(dad died 12 years ago). My brother moved with his family last year, and we are following them. However, i'm incredibly nervous about moving back because i feel the move on my shoulders, even though my husband and kids all want to go. I guess it's because i've seen the negative side with my dad not settling. We have found schools and the area we are moving to

We were lucky enough to sell our house last oct so are renting at present so just sorting out moving and animals etc. I agree with you on Noosa we went there as kids but also on our second 1st reccie trip and loved it. Unfortunately a bit far from Brisbane for Husband.

Hope all goes well for you and your plans
Louise
Old Mar 31st 2008, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

were boomeranging too,, we lived in adelaide, didnt settle there,lovely place tho, but i have 2 teenagers, so they want somewhere a little more livelier,, heading for Perth nxt, sometimes I think were mad BUT, Australia is in us now and we cant get rid of it!

Just wish we could win the lotto now!

bluekipper
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:23 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live in Ashmore Green, went to St Barts in the fifties - and I couldn't find my way around Newbury now. It used to be a small country town and now feels like part of the London - Reading - Bristol megapolis!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Quote " but i have 2 teenagers, so they want somewhere a little more livelier,, heading for Perth nxt"

I think you will find Perth is not livelier than Adelaide, if anything it is quieter and way more out of the way.

have you thought about Melbourne?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sherro
Quote " but i have 2 teenagers, so they want somewhere a little more livelier,, heading for Perth nxt"

I think you will find Perth is not livelier than Adelaide, if anything it is quieter and way more out of the way.

have you thought about Melbourne?
Or, what about Brisbane...better weather than Melbourne. Everything is so much more accessible than when in Perth. In between the Goldcoast and Sunshine Coast, an hours drive either side. I have teenagers too.