Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bird's Custard Powder??????

Bird's Custard Powder??????

Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:20 pm
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Question Bird's Custard Powder??????

Hi All,

Boring I know, but it's important to my almost 10 yr old............am I going completely insane???? I went looking for custard powder the other convinced I had seen Bird's in Coles or Woolies but could only find a few dodgy looking (and tasting) brands. Anyone know if you can get over here or do I need to get visiting friends to bring some??

And pudding rice to make er, rice puddings (he likes his little home comforts bless him!!!)

Thanks,

Phil x
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Bird's Custard Powder??????

Originally Posted by philian4
Hi All,

Boring I know, but it's important to my almost 10 yr old............am I going completely insane???? I went looking for custard powder the other convinced I had seen Bird's in Coles or Woolies but could only find a few dodgy looking (and tasting) brands. Anyone know if you can get over here or do I need to get visiting friends to bring some??

And pudding rice to make er, rice puddings (he likes his little home comforts bless him!!!)

Thanks,

Phil x
Hello

Don't know about the Birds (ick custard), but if you use 'calrose' rice in the pudding it comes out a treat. It is a very short grain rice. Do you make a good rice pudding, I just adore it!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 3:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try
www.treatsfromhome.com.au
They list Custard Powder, and I suspect its Birds, they are very helpful - if you ring them, they'll check

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 7th 2005 at 3:56 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:57 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Bird's Custard Powder??????

thanks both of you!!!!

Yes I make a mighty fine rice pudding, however the efforts I have made here have been suitable for house building!

Phil x
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:56 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

thanks both of you!!!!

Yes I make a mighty fine rice pudding, however the efforts I have made here have been suitable for house building!

Phil x
The shop is in the centre of Sydney and it makes a nice excuse for a trip in Lucky for me I work down the road from it.

With my little custard junkies when we came over I swopped to the already made up Devondale cartons, they did not mind a bit. Some of the other already made are not too bad either.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough

Hi All,

Thanks,

Phil x
Hi Phil

Birds Custard powder you can usually get in a larger Coles store. That is THE one thing I have really missed as I can't get it in our area. My daughter sent some for my birthday recently - she lives in Perth !!!

Liz
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:37 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by Diamond Lil
Hi Phil

Birds Custard powder you can usually get in a larger Coles store. That is THE one thing I have really missed as I can't get it in our area. My daughter sent some for my birthday recently - she lives in Perth !!!

Liz

I am so relieved!!!! Sad I know but I am so excited ......we've been so busy trying new stuff I haven't had time to miss anything except prawn cocktail crisps when someone mentioned them the other day. Then while the kids have all been ill recently Sam asked for some custard- rice pudding the next day.......funny how you miss the comfort food when you're ill!!

Glad you said you'd seen it in Coles I'm sure I saw it once.....must keep my eyes peeled it must get grabbed off the shelves quickly!

Phil x
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:39 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Originally Posted by Sandra
The shop is in the centre of Sydney and it makes a nice excuse for a trip in Lucky for me I work down the road from it.

With my little custard junkies when we came over I swopped to the already made up Devondale cartons, they did not mind a bit. Some of the other already made are not too bad either.
I can just see hubbie's face if I tell him I'm off to the centre of Sydney for a tin of custard powder!!!!! :scared:

Will definitely call in when i'm up there though!!!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough

I am so relieved!!!! Sad I know but I am so excited ......we've been so busy trying new stuff I haven't had time to miss anything except prawn cocktail crisps when someone mentioned them the other day. Then while the kids have all been ill recently Sam asked for some custard- rice pudding the next day.......funny how you miss the comfort food when you're ill!!

Glad you said you'd seen it in Coles I'm sure I saw it once.....must keep my eyes peeled it must get grabbed off the shelves quickly!

Phil x

Hi Phil

You can get prawn cocktail crisps in Sydney somewhere as my daughter was buying them when she lived there. They were on a stall in a shopping mall that sold a lot of English stuff like English Cadburys chocolate etc. Sorry can't be more precise but maybe some-one else knows where it is.

Liz
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:19 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phil

You can get prawn cocktail crisps in Sydney somewhere as my daughter was buying them when she lived there. They were on a stall in a shopping mall that sold a lot of English stuff like English Cadburys chocolate etc. Sorry can't be more precise but maybe some-one else knows where it is.

Liz
Yes you are right - There is a sweet stall in the Macquarie Centre which has Prawn Cocktail crisps sometimes. Also has Tayto Cheese and Onion which are the best crisps in the world. Also it has the UK chocolate. As does the shop mentioned on here treats from home which will post your order via the web.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sandra
Yes you are right - There is a sweet stall in the Macquarie Centre which has Prawn Cocktail crisps sometimes. Also has Tayto Cheese and Onion which are the best crisps in the world. Also it has the UK chocolate. As does the shop mentioned on here treats from home which will post your order via the web.

Yes, that's it - Macquarie Centre. Went there with her but couldn't remember which one it was.

Liz
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:04 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Yes, that's it - Macquarie Centre. Went there with her but couldn't remember which one it was.

Liz

He he he.......hubbie can't threaten me with divorce if I pop into sydney for custard powder AND prawn cocktail crisps-hardly a wasted journey then!!!

So excited I can't wait for Saturday!!!

Thanks,

Phil x
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Custard has to be one of the easiest things in the world to make from scratch and tastes much much better than any powdered stuff.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 11:27 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

Smile Re: Bird's Custard Powder??????

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Custard has to be one of the easiest things in the world to make from scratch and tastes much much better than any powdered stuff.

Totally agree but he likes it the way his nanna made it!!!! He has unsophisticated tastebuds!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Me and Jamie Oliver disagree with you on that one
(its just not yellow enough !)
Ali

Originally Posted by moneypen20

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.