Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Originally Posted by obewan
I'm curious then which part of Melbourne has more going on? Is there a parallel Melbourne that you know about but no one else does?
Yes. All Melbourne's cultural and other events are organised purely for my benefit.

BB
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future
Default Re: Big fall in migrant arrivals -32% in past year

Originally Posted by littda01
I'd love to hear you give a more detailed comparison. I won't be surprised if you don't, however.
Really?
On a high level, let's compare a couple of websites:
www.timeout.com/london gives me just shy of 2000 results for things happening in the next week.
www.onlymelbourne.com.au doesn't have a weekly search, however, the results for 'today' are all events that are ongoing, and returns 162 results.

Now granted, I'm not going to be interested in a lot of the 162 results for Melbourne, nor am I going to be interested in a lot of the 2000 results for London. But of the 162 results in Melbourne, it's going to be hard to find much of interest (to me) whereas I'm sure to find plenty of interest in London. The difference is in the frequency & level of what is available in Melbourne.

Were you interested in giving a more detailed comparison?
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

obewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant futureobewan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes. All Melbourne's cultural and other events are organised purely for my benefit.

BB
Good to know. Thanks for sharing that 'other' Melbourne you allude to, know we all know it exists.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If they are looking for Europe, and arrived in Australia, I think they took the wrong turn somewhere....
That was in reply to another comment, about why some people wouldn't want to move to Australia (being able to immerse themselves in Europe etc.).
However, given that Melbourne prides itself on being so 'European' and cosmopolitan, it probably is apt to remind thos who think that moving to Melbourne will be like 'little Europe' that it's really not.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Depends what you class as 'quality of life'. Someone once told me that living in Australia was like dating a gorgeous model, great to look at, a novelty and all your friends are envious but after a while you want something more, like some stimulation of the mind. One man's quality is another's nightmare and I don't believe there is quality of life to be had now in Aus unless you're already cashed up. Double income families working all the hours, kids in child care is what I'm witnessing more and more compared to 8 years ago, quality of life has dropped dramactically.
Again, I'm in agreement with you.
I couldn't help getting the feeling when I was living there that it was pleasant enough, but that I wasn't ready to retire yet. Nothing wrong if you do happen to enjoy it, but life was a little too pedestrian with not enough stimulation for me. I'm not ready to settle for 'pleasant' yet, maybe at a different stage of life it would be ok.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Mate, you'd be surprised
I'd be surprised if I was surprised.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:12 pm
ABCDiamond

and don't forget Aussies are the most indebted (as a % of GDP) in the world which will be a major problem in the future.
I've checked on the figures that are being quoted. Which ones are you referring to, as these ones show a very different picture ?

Public Debt per Country
  • United Kingdom 68.5% of GDP
  • Australia 18.6% of GDP
Public debt is the cumulative total of all Government Borrowings less repayments.

External Debt per Country
  • United Kingdom 427% of GDP
  • Australia 109% of GDP
External Debt comprises the total public and private debt owed to non-residents repayable in foreign currency, goods, or services.

Personal Debt excluding Mortgages
  • Australian Personal debt = $6,136 (A$135bn / 22m)
  • UK Personal debt = £3,511 (£217bn / 61.8m)
  • USA Personal debt = US$7,854 ($2,418.9bn / 308m)
These figures are the national totals divided by population.

Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia's public debt is lower than that...I think the figure you are quoting was an estimate that never came true thankfully.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Really?
On a high level, let's compare a couple of websites:
www.timeout.com/london gives me just shy of 2000 results for things happening in the next week.
www.onlymelbourne.com.au doesn't have a weekly search, however, the results for 'today' are all events that are ongoing, and returns 162 results.

Now granted, I'm not going to be interested in a lot of the 162 results for Melbourne, nor am I going to be interested in a lot of the 2000 results for London. But of the 162 results in Melbourne, it's going to be hard to find much of interest (to me) whereas I'm sure to find plenty of interest in London. The difference is in the frequency & level of what is available in Melbourne.

Were you interested in giving a more detailed comparison?
Dude, I think the onus is on you to make the detailed comparison seeing as you made the point. A couple of web links isnt going to do it.

You weren't mentioning London, you said "your small town". So pls stick to that, noone is arguing that Melbourne offers more culture than London, London is a world-leader in that respect. However, Luton, Guildford, Ashford, Milton Keynes etc etc are not.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Depends what you class as 'quality of life'. Someone once told me that living in Australia was like dating a gorgeous model, great to look at, a novelty and all your friends are envious but after a while you want something more, like some stimulation of the mind. One man's quality is another's nightmare and I don't believe there is quality of life to be had now in Aus unless you're already cashed up. Double income families working all the hours, kids in child care is what I'm witnessing more and more compared to 8 years ago, quality of life has dropped dramactically.

That's a problem, IMO, we are riding on China's coat tails, nothing else. Manufacturing, retail are all going down the pan here and don't forget Aussies are the most indebted (as a % of GDP) in the world which will be a major problem in the future. Japan, US, UK are all trying to keep their currencies low to compete with Chinese manufacturing - Australia is being left for dust in that field, all we have is mining.
I wouldnt argue with all of this. Quality of life is definitely being trashed by the unaffordability of housing. However, that is likely a short/medium term phenomenon, and there is exactly the same issue in the UK.

Indebtedness, you are right its high - again, mostly because of the unrealistic mortgages people have to take on currently. UK also has same issue on the whole.

As regards China, those are good coat-tails to ride on :-) If China comes down, the crash will be enormous because the rest of the world (Europe, US, Japan at least) is screwed so there would be noone to pick up the slack. IMO that won't happen, at least not in a massive way.

Agree that Aus needs to be careful what type of economy it becomes, but its not doing too bad IMO. Just needs to get a more realistic property market.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Don_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really niceDon_Angel is just really nice

Originally Posted by littda01
Dude, I think the onus is on you to make the detailed comparison seeing as you made the point. A couple of web links isnt going to do it.

You weren't mentioning London, you said "your small town". So pls stick to that, noone is arguing that Melbourne offers more culture than London, London is a world-leader in that respect. However, Luton, Guildford, Ashford, Milton Keynes etc etc are not.
I can see what he means though, it's only a 2 hour max train ride from most those towns into London. It's the old connectivity issue again.

As far as Brisbane goes, I have been quite impressed with the amount events going on. Brisbane has no history to speak of but does try to make up for with the cultural centre on the south bank, it's not perfect but it's not bad. Saying that though, as someone who has been to China I struggle to find what attracts the Chinese tourist to Brisbane.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with your views 100% although I might add that Australians are up there with the personal debt levels as a percentage of GDP.

Many migrants do not realise the added costs of medical and schooling when they get here which was more or less 'free' in the UK. That alone could cost roughly a $1K a month for a family of 4, of course, you don't have to have it if you choose not to.
Totally agree. We just moved 4 months ago and it is very expensive. We certainly would have been better off financially in the UK. Am sure many people hear the usual 'Oz is so cheap' and consider coming over but 1 visit here will enlighten them. I earn a fair bit so I am okay but otherwise there is no way we would come here. Forget about retiring here too. Will be going somewhere cheap like Thailand/Malaysia/UK ;-)
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

ABCD - Not sure why you excluded mortgage debt from your personal indebtedness numbers?? Here's a quote from Forbes showing that when you include mortgages, the picture is not pretty...

"Australian households currently hold more than $1 trillion in debt, a record level. The ratio of household debt to disposable income in Australia was 158 percent, at the end of the first quarter. About one in seven Australian taxpayers has an investment property other than the family home. Despite all the talk about Australian lenders being more responsible than those in the U.S., mortgage debt in Australia rose three times faster since 1990, according to Steven Keen. Having started with a mortgage debt to GDP ratio that was just 40% of America’s, Australia’s ratio is now higher than ours and still increasing. No deleveraging here. More punch please."
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Middleclass Australians have plenty of money and plety of equity. That's the big issue here that people don't realise. They can take on risk.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weebie
Middleclass Australians have plenty of money and plety of equity. That's the big issue here that people don't realise. They can take on risk.
We're gonna find out the truth of that in the next few years :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.