Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beware the imminent housing bubble

Beware the imminent housing bubble

Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beware the imminent housing bubble

I'm not familiar with UK markets but this says further falls expected...
http://www.independent.ie/business/e...t-2540268.html
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

The Market is very slow over here we were lucky to sell our house with profit which was very lucky for us and we had someone who had to relocate to our area.

But the problem with the market is the Banks will not lend any money unless you have a massive deposit to putdown so they our holding the market up and with the low bank rate its not good for investors.

Things will pick up again
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
But the problem with the market is the Banks will not lend any money unless you have a massive deposit to putdown so they our holding the market up and with the low bank rate its not good for investors.
Isn't that what banks are supposed to do though? i.e. cover their arses.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

You are forgetting that when they do wipe there ass its with £50 pound notes old chap
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
You are forgetting that when they do wipe there ass its with £50 pound notes old chap
They lost their way over the last couple of years, it may have seemed like they were in the business of losing money rather than renting it.

These banks only have to lose a small portion of their loans to be wiped out. Think of it as being analogous to a leveraged property investor, if you only have 10% equity and the market falls 10% then you have lost everything. Of course for the property investor they may get away with it for a while but I'm not so sure for the bank.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:48 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Does it matter? Isn't it her decision what she spends her money on? Who's to say any particular use is worse than lining bankers pockets?
Sorry for asking. Just joining in the fun. Didn't realise I was touching a nerve.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, I thought it was a rhetorical question.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:02 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I thought it was a rhetorical question.
I couldn't resist joining in the (assumed) satire.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oh for gods sake people, are you so bored that you'll actually start having a discussion about it? I'm disappointed in you all, you've let me down.
God no... please don't tell me that yet another bloody property thread is beginning to take hold.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:25 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
God no... please don't tell me that yet another bloody property thread is beginning to take hold.
House prices. The favourite topic of a large proportion of Brits the world over.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

The housing thread bubble continues apace. No shortage of greater fools waiting to jump into the market.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:10 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beware the imminent housing bubble

You've got to love these thinly veiled "I-can't-afford-a-house-and-I'm-massively-envious-of-everyone-who's-got-one-so-I'll-pretend-I-don't-want-one-and-hope-everyone-else-loses-theirs-in-a-property-crash" threads.

Does it matter? Isn't it her decision what she spends her money on? Who's to say any particular use is worse than lining bankers pockets?
I'd rather line a banker's pocket than a landlord's. 25-year mortgage gets you a house. 25 years of renting gets you... nothing.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 15th 2011 at 11:12 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'd rather line a banker's pocket than a landlord's. 25-year mortgage gets you a house. 25 years of renting gets you... nothing.
25 years of interest payments get you nothing. Who are you referring to that can't afford a house btw?

Why so benevolent to bankers versus landlords btw? A particular love for bankers or a hate for landlords?

Last edited by Steve2009; Feb 15th 2011 at 11:19 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beware the imminent housing bubble

25 years of interest payments get you nothing.
Well, obviously. But how often does that happen? I don't know anyone with a 25-year interest-only mortgage. Is that even possible? Most banks will only allow you to run an IO mortgage for a set term.

I do know plenty of people who started with a 25-year mortgage and paid their house off much sooner. Sure beats paying 25 years of rent!

Who are you referring to that can't afford a house btw?
The usual suspects. Some have openly stated that they can't afford a house; others simply pour vitriol on anyone who dares to admit that they've got one, without revealing their own situation. But it's not difficult to join the dots.

Why so benevolent to bankers versus landlords btw? A particular love for bankers or a hate for landlords?
It has nothing to do with benevolence and everything to do with pragmatic self-interest. I get a house at the end of my mortgage (which will be less than 25 years). I get nothing at the end of a 25-year lease. It's a no-brainer.

I have no particular love for bankers, and I have no hate for landlords; I've rented in the past, and I'm a landlord myself. I don't know why you persist with these extreme polarisations and false dichotomies. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Feb 15th 2011 at 11:25 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, obviously. But how often does that happen? I don't know anyone with a 25-year interest-only mortgage. Is that even possible? Most banks will only allow you to run an IO mortgage for a set term.
Interest only is not the only circumstance under which you pay interest.
I do know plenty of people who started with a 25-year mortgage and paid their house off much sooner. Sure beats paying 25 years of rent!
They're completely different situations. That is more akin to saving and is certainly preferable to carrying massive debt. Whether it beats renting is subjective.
The usual suspects. Some have openly stated that they can't afford a house; others simply pour vitriol on anyone who dares to admit that they've got one, without revealing their own situation. But it's not difficult to join the dots.
Who pours vitriol on who? Who has not revealed their own situation? I think you may be missing a few dots. These straw men arguments based on false assumptions are poor debate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.