Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of life in Australia?

Better quality of life in Australia?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Nice thread, good luck to all those planning / in the middle of / and going soon!!!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
London is a sewage and garbage factory once at the centre of a military and industrial madhouse responsible for global social and environmental destruction.
GRYB.
That also gave us Australia.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:08 pm
kong

OK Wombat, here is a snippet from that report of yours.

As a reality TV show you have to wonder whether Get a New Life will delve beneath the surf and sand to those realities all too familiar to those of us who live here. Will the program depict the high unemployment, Maroochy River pollution and the inadequate road system?

Saban says he hopes so. "For us Brits when we look at a place like the Sunshine Coast we just see the sun, the sea and the sand and we think that's the idyllic life that you have out here. For people who are relocating out here it's very important that they do know it isn't the land of milk and honey completely."

"There are things going on out here that aren't as ideal as we perceive them to be. If people get a better sense of what is actually going on out here people can make informed decisions about whether they would like to start a new life out here."

Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:18 pm
kong

Originally Posted by kong
OK Wombat, here is a snippet from that report of yours.

As a reality TV show you have to wonder whether Get a New Life will delve beneath the surf and sand to those realities all too familiar to those of us who live here. Will the program depict the high unemployment, Maroochy River pollution and the inadequate road system?

Saban says he hopes so. "For us Brits when we look at a place like the Sunshine Coast we just see the sun, the sea and the sand and we think that's the idyllic life that you have out here. For people who are relocating out here it's very important that they do know it isn't the land of milk and honey completely."

"There are things going on out here that aren't as ideal as we perceive them to be. If people get a better sense of what is actually going on out here people can make informed decisions about whether they would like to start a new life out here."
Wombat deleted his post, here was the link he posted.

http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/stories/s997732.htm

It starts off as typical Australian media bull. Australians know this is the best country in the world (although most of us have never left our state never mind country) All Brits, every single bloody last one would sell there granny to Bin Laden for a chance to live in our paradise island

However it than slides in a mild warning of the pitfalls of backward, pollution happy and economically challenged Australia.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:30 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kong
Wombat deleted his post, here was the link he posted.

http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/stories/s997732.htm

It starts off as typical Australian media bull. Australians know this is the best country in the world (although most of us have never left our state never mind country) All Brits, every single bloody last one would sell there granny to Bin Laden for a chance to live in our paradise island

However it than slides in a mild warning of the pitfalls of backward, pollution happy and economically challenged Australia.
How is Australia economically challenged if it has a GDP per capita higher than the UK?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Hi

Im choosing oz as im not that bothered about all the downsides of england and oz as they are comparible.

I want to go to a country thats warmer than the u.k. and want to live near the sea as im a diver and what better place than the G.B.Reef to live near with english(or a version of) speaking people with generally a more laid back approach to life than us in the uk.

I dont have any more expectations than that as i will be very dissapointed if i wanted a massive house with a jetty pool etc, im more than willing to have a 1 bed apartment wit a balcony thats 5 mins cycle to work or beach which wouldnt be in the piss rasin every day like it is in the north.

People are happier when the bright weather comes out and im up for that for however long it takes to get bored, as i know that i can return to the 6 day 65hr weeks in my shop and my nice house in rural cheshire that i rarely see due to being at work all the time..............yippeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

Im just turned 33 and had a heart and 2 brain ops 2 6years ago!!

Is it worth the blood sweat and tears to pay for all this??

Hell no, thats why i want the sun and the ocean and the outdoor life, whilst working for enough for a couple o beers and the rent!

I HAVE LEARNT MY LESSON.

And if it all goes tits up at least we can say we tried and didnt like it and come back

Only you can make your own destiny happen..................oh, and TRA and DIMIA and ,and , and,.............................................. ......

GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO.

alk
A nice post.

And for those wanting to do comparisons, remember to compare the area you are leaving to the area you are going to. That is the only real comparison that will be relevant to you. No point comparing two areas that you don't, or don't intend to, live in.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:23 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
But, please compare like with like. Melbourne is not comparable to S London - parts of Sydney are.
Well this optimistic view is one I like ;-)

Anyhow, for me, I don't want to compare like with like, this is not an academic exercise (right now) - I like what I have in Melbourne compared to what I had in London - good enough for me.

BM

Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by badgersmount

Anyhow, for me, I don't want to compare like with like, this is not an academic exercise (right now) - I like what I have in Melbourne compared to what I had in London - good enough for me.

BM
Fair do's.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:32 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right Badge

Life just don't fit into mathematical equations.
There are also instincts and feelings.

You know if it's right ...or wrong.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:35 pm
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by badgersmount

BM
I like your post, I think more of what is needed is less comparisons of a clinical nature and more going for what you want, if it does not work out then at worst it is an expensive holiday.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:40 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That also gave us Australia.
British Leibensraum.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

From my experience of coming from Oz to the UK to live and work, it makes it all the more difficult if you start comparing one place to the other. Nothing is going to compare because they are just that, 2 different countries. If I want to compare everything to Oz and want everything to be as good as I think Oz is, then why would I have come here? I could have just sat at home in Oz and been as happy as larry!! But I wanted to experience the differences, whether good or bad. I have been here for over 3 1/2 years and the number of people that ask if I have been to any one of the large number of Aussie pubs here in London is amazing. I tell them that if I wanted to go to an Aussie pub and mix with Aussie people, I would have stayed in Australia.

If you are moving to another country, look at that country over all, then focus on where you wish to live and if it has the lifestyle you want, then go, but once you get there, dont start comparing to the way it was where you came....or you might as well have never left....

That is my opinion, anyway....
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:46 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Ulujain
How is Australia economically challenged if it has a GDP per capita higher than the UK?
Expalin that Kong, Australia has the fastest growing economy in the world,