Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of life in Australia?

Better quality of life in Australia?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Cal B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Thanks for all your advice/info everyone.I still feel very cautious,more so because we have two children and if it didn't work out,we would feel so guilty about unsettling the children again.We just want the best possible start in life like all parents do and it is just taking that chance.Scary!!!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:10 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

no i ve always wanted to retire somewhere warm, but after being told i had 15% of living or getting through the operations at 30 years old i now feel like a new person with loads more goals as i laid in my hospital bed and regretted all the things that i hadnt done before in my life as i would never get the chance to do them again if any more tings went wrong wit hme , so i vowed that if i made it then i would save up enough money to do a round the world trip which is happening in january and we decided that as im a hairdresser that we would have a go at australia and try and open more branches of my shop and spend a year building them up and then trying for semi retirement fishing and diving as the missus wants to run a business from home so that we can have kids and spend more time together.

This may seem like pie in the sky, but we have actually planned it to intricate detail over the past year with all pros and cons, but we arent selling up we are renting as we are mortgage free which is a nice predicament to be in as we always have a house to come back to if all doesnt go to plan.

Ho hum, NOW BRING ON THE HOLS IN JAN 05!!!!!!

Be happy everyone.

al and clare k
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:12 pm
Banned

alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

[how old are they??
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alkristensen
[how old are they??

They are nearly 9 and 5.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:29 pm
Banned

i think the 9 year old depending on what he/she was involved in with friends sports etc and how much of a tear away for them to rebel will be best jugded by you. the 5 year old aswell as the 9 year old can be problematic but it depends on their teperament, but at this age the bonds arent very very strong as in teenagers so its up to you i think.

We weighed up all pros and cons and mine was about health and more time.
clares was about adventure and sunshine and the ocean.

Whats yours??

answer that and you may be caught by the bug too!!

al and clare k
Old Aug 10th 2004, 4:39 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cal B
Thanks for all your advice/info everyone.I still feel very cautious,more so because we have two children and if it didn't work out,we would feel so guilty about unsettling the children again.We just want the best possible start in life like all parents do and it is just taking that chance.Scary!!!!!!

Hi Cal

We too have 2 kids, one only a few months old and we will be leaving a close knit family and fabulous friends behind. BUT...I have dreamt of this for years,as has my husband. I would hate to get to the ripe old age of 40 (im nearly there!) and have regrets..Life is too short for regret. And if we dont like it? Well, we chalk it up to experience and come back to the UK, but at least we tried! Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.........Im putting my money where my mouth is this time!!

Good luck
Lucy
xxx
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:40 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi Cal

We too have 2 kids, one only a few months old and we will be leaving a close knit family and fabulous friends behind. BUT...I have dreamt of this for years,as has my husband. I would hate to get to the ripe old age of 40 (im nearly there!) and have regrets..Life is too short for regret. And if we dont like it? Well, we chalk it up to experience and come back to the UK, but at least we tried! Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans.........Im putting my money where my mouth is this time!!

Good luck
Lucy
xxx
I'll ripe old age of 40 you Lucy. Cheeky bugger.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:01 pm
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road

Well answered Bix, this seems a very well balanced post. The way I look at it is if you don't try you will never know.

Originally Posted by Bix
Cal,
You are at the point where most of us started.
A discontentment that has made you search for something new or different, or better.

Some will look at your post and consider you a very naive person; someone wearing rose tinted glasses. Of course at this stage it is correct and that's why you asked the question wasn't it ? We learn by listening and researching as well as by making mistakes. Stick with it.

Remember the people on this site are not just the middle ground. We are also the extremes in both directions. For every ecstatic person there is a miserable one. For every positive there is a negative.

Remember too that you are an individual and what suits you may not suit any other person here but it does not make you wrong. As a small and pretty irrelevant example lots of people bemoan the lack of a "decent" English style pub in Aus. Personally I don't give a rats arse about them so although in the minority am I wrong ? No, of course not.

Most things have already been discussed on the forum so use the search function to look up particular items but also ask any specific questions. Don't worry or get upset if the responses are not always as expected.

Good hunting
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Cal B

As you can see you have opened a very big tin of worms in Oz v UK personally i can't be **!!** with all the bad karma of it all.

We are trying to emigrate to Oz simply because we want to live near the sea -something we cant possible afford to do in this country- sit and look at the flora and fauna on a big varandah sipping a large glass of wine and overall start a new life if its not what we hoped it will be then ke sara sara we return at least we've tried it.

Kay
Well Said I have to say thats just how we feel.We have the opprtunity and we have to take it.At the end of the day if it does not work out we can always come back home.Easier said than done I understand!.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Originally Posted by lucyb
Hi Cal

Good luck
Lucy
xxx
Good Luck Lucy B .Feel the same.Lets hope it all works out for all of us.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Good Luck Cal B Who ever said being a parent was going to be easy!!!!.WE have two young children and have exactly the same fears.
To me life is about taking chances and learning from your experiences good or bad.What makes it so hard is that you want the best for your children but there lives are in your hands and that does put the pressure on big time.
Good Luck with your decision.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Good Luck Cal B Who ever said being a parent was going to be easy!!!!.WE have two young children and have exactly the same fears.
To me life is about taking chances and learning from your experiences good or bad.What makes it so hard is that you want the best for your children but there lives are in your hands and that does put the pressure on big time.
Good Luck with your decision.
Are you going to Aus ,dreamaway?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

bettytweena is an unknown quantity at this point

If we give up on dreams and aspirations for ourselves (and our kids) what have we got left??? One life to live, to try new things and to find happiness...wherevever it may be.........if we don't try, how will we know????????

Good luck to us all:
Far better to dare mighty things, than to rank with those timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.......(stolen from someone else's post !!!!!)

Lesley
xxx
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Question Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Are you going to Aus ,dreamaway?
We Certaintly are!!!! Off to Perth Mandurah area as we have second cousins there that we have never met.That is if we get our visa of course.Where are you thinking of going to?
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Hi Cal B, where abouts in australia are you intending to go???

We have two young children too!!! Our son, who is 7, is really nervous about the whole thing, and like you, i worry, will he thrive, will he be happy, are we doing the best for him????

I just keep telling myself, that at least we aren't just sitting back like our family and friends, plodding on, moaning about all around them! We are, like yourselves, trying to make a change.... and if it dosen't work out, we come back, but at least we tried to make a difference! no one can say otherwise!

Good luck...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.