Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

which is better Melbourne or Sydney

which is better Melbourne or Sydney

Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:57 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Re: which is better Melbourne or Sydney

Oh, it's good to see a change from the usual Perth vs Sydney/Melbourne. Now Sydney and Melbourne are pitted against each other. Unfortunately, no easy answer.

Jobs: Depends what industry you work in. For example, Sydney is Australia's finance capital.

Cost of Living + Food: Comparable.

Transport: Both ordinary. Melbourne has a "better" train network. Sydney has an extensive bus network (so does Melbourne actually).

Fun: Plenty to do in both cities.

Low Crime Rate: Depends very much on which part of the city you live.

Weather: Melbourne's is variable (like England but not as bad). Sydney is better.

Misc: Melbourne has far more sporting events much to the annoyance of Sydney.

Conclusion: I'm taking the safe approach and sitting on the fence. If it was Perth vs Sydney/Melbourne on the other hand, my arguments would be more convincing.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One major factor, that tips it back Sydney's way, would be actual Geographical location. It's Easier to get to all the other Cities from Sydney. That full realisation has made me think about Sydney as a retirement prospect. With a bit of Luck Melbourne may actually overtake Sydney as the premier city in Aus (it has been there before) with prices reflecting this.... Then I really may go for it.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:11 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One major factor, that tips it back Sydney's way, would be actual Geographical location. It's Easier to get to all the other Cities from Sydney. That full realisation has made me think about Sydney as a retirement prospect. With a bit of Luck Melbourne may actually overtake Sydney as the premier city in Aus (it has been there before) with prices reflecting this.... Then I really may go for it.
It's surely only easier to get to Brisbane or Canberra (and less easy to get to Adelaide). A dubious tipping point
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Never been to Melbourne but people have told me that Sydney is a better looking city. Cost of living is a factor if you dont think you're sacrificing anything by living in the cheaper place. I think the beaches in Sydney are a major pull factor as is all the suburb nightlife such as Newtown, Mosman, Coogee etc. The CBD isnt necessarily the hub of the social scene in Sydney but the nearest party spot isnt too far away.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Neither would be my personal choice but have a look through online Oz newspaper articles to gauge which city has the higher crime rate and drive by shooting incidents. Choose the one with the lower crime rate. I already know the answer!
A strange way to pick a place to live?! You are highly unlikely to be a victim in a drive by shooting anywhere!

Better to look at what you want out of life, and where you feel at home!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

hotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant futurehotfuss has a brilliant future

I've lived in both (only 3 months in Melbourne though)

I do prefer Melbourne as a city because it's small, has fantastic pubs and a great night-life, the best of culture and a great vibe.

However, I now live in Sydney and love it. I chose Sydney mainly because of the climate and the beaches. I didn't want to spend a proper winter in Oz, which is what Melbourne has and I love the beach. Although Melbourne has St Kilda, that's more like an Irish beach! Sydney is a great city also and does have great night-life but its just a lot bigger so the night-life areas are a lot more spread out.

It really depends what your priorities are and what you're looking for in a hometown..
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:41 am
Just Joined

bluelines is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll chip in for what it's worth although it's an ongoing and neverending debate. It only seems to be people from Melbourne who seem to bring it up, with the odd Sydneysider knocking the weather down there, but otherwise unaware that there is any rivalry. It's a bit like New York v LA I guess.

Traditionally, Melbourne has been described as 'the lady' and Sydney 'the tart'. Both are great cities and I have happily lived in both. Currently live in Sydney.

Melbourne - more 'European' probably- cafe's , better live music scene, a bit grittier, slightly cheaper- Aussie Rules rules, closer to Ski fields- understated fashion, more stylish and considers itself intellectual.

Sydney - 'glitzier' more fast paced and out-doors orientated. Better beaches. More natural beauty in terms of the harbour. More expensive. Better international landmarks. Financial and business centre. Better weather.

Hope that helps!
Cheers
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It's surely only easier to get to Brisbane or Canberra (and less easy to get to Adelaide). A dubious tipping point

Ahh and Melbourne ! 4 Easy Weekendable Cities for the price of one, if you catch my drift. Or all within a doable (in Australian terms) 1 days drive... Including Adelaide probably. Whoops forget Adelaide being driveable in 1 day, LOL 1400 K's....... No Big loss I guess

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 16th 2009 at 3:35 am.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:06 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

More international flights as well but still a minor point unless you are flying on business all the time.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:50 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Ahh and Melbourne ! 4 Easy Weekendable Cities for the price of one, if you catch my drift. Or all within a doable (in Australian terms) 1 days drive... Including Adelaide probably. Whoops forget Adelaide being driveable in 1 day, LOL 1400 K's....... No Big loss I guess
So, if Adelaide is considered within striking distance of Sydney then under the same rules Melbourne gains Canberra leaving Brisbane as the Sydney's only extra. Still not sure it's a tipping point.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So, if Adelaide is considered within striking distance of Sydney then under the same rules Melbourne gains Canberra leaving Brisbane as the Sydney's only extra. Still not sure it's a tipping point.
South Coast of NSW is possibly the best Countryside in Aus from my point of view. Due North is interesting as well. It's got a lot going for it around the local Topography.

Just personal views, However it's got features that I really like.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluelines
Melbourne - more 'European' probably- cafe's , better live music scene, a bit grittier, slightly cheaper- Aussie Rules rules, closer to Ski fields- understated fashion, more stylish and considers itself intellectual.

Sydney - 'glitzier' more fast paced and out-doors orientated. Better beaches. More natural beauty in terms of the harbour. More expensive. Better international landmarks. Financial and business centre. Better weather.
Very good summary, would agree with it.

Personal viewpoint, Sydney all the way. No way I'd live south of the border!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 11:05 am
Just Joined

gail.crease is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Melbourne and have visited Sydney.

IMO Melbourne CBD (include St Kilda and surrounding suburbs) is more exciting. It never feels crowded and the tram system is great. The people are friendly. The beaches around the bay are not that great. Further out in Victoria, the surf beaches are fab and the great ocean road beaches are fantastic. The sporting and entertainment events are great. You can always get tickets which is something we could never do in the UK. There's always something going on in the city. And there's festivals galore. The only downside is the winter. We've done 2 winters now and hate it. The houses are cold and not built for winter. They don't have double glazing or central heating here. Ducted heating is useless. As soon as you turn it off it goes cold straight away. We didn't come this far to be cold. We're considering a move to Sydney just for milder winters. They've had amazing weather this winter. The only problem is giving up the good things in Melbourne that Sydney doesn't have. I've asked lots of Aussies who lived in Sydney or grown up there what it's like to live day to day. These are the comments I've heard: Universally they all said it's really hard to meet people and make friends. The traffic is awful including Sunday morning and it's very frustrating to drive anywhere. The harbour which is beautiful becomes a nightmare when you want to go north or south to cross the water. On the plus side there is more work in Sydney, the weather is better and the beaches are better. For a young couple wanting to have fun, then chose St Kilda or Elwood in Melbourne. In Sydney choose anything just East of the city or Mosman/Manly.

Gail
Old Sep 16th 2009, 12:14 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Never been to Melbourne but people have told me that Sydney is a better looking city.

I think the beaches in Sydney are a major pull factor as is all the suburb nightlife such as Newtown, Mosman, Coogee etc.
Coogee Icecream

Sums up Sydney
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Coogee Icecream

Sums up Sydney
Way to generalise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.