Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way of transfering money from the uk?

Best way of transfering money from the uk?

Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

leighbethell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way of transfering money from the uk?

Hi everyone

After selling our house in the uk, Does anyone know the best way of transfering a large amount of money to oz (does that make me sound like a drug dealer?), cause when i do it through the banks i ALWAYS get less than what i thought, I heard you can buy shares in a big worldwide company in england and then take them out in oz ? does anyone have any ideas?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:04 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way of transfering money from the uk?

Originally Posted by leighbethell
Hi everyone

After selling our house in the uk, Does anyone know the best way of transfering a large amount of money to oz (does that make me sound like a drug dealer?), cause when i do it through the banks i ALWAYS get less than what i thought, I heard you can buy shares in a big worldwide company in england and then take them out in oz ? does anyone have any ideas?
Try posting this in the oz forum...you'll get more joy there
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Try posting this in the oz forum...you'll get more joy there
It's on the move......
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:31 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:37 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It's on the move......
Why? I thought this WAS the Oz forum.

You can use a foreign exchange conpany like HiFX to make the transfer for you. Very cheap and you get a better exchange rate than with the bank. I asked this question myself not long ago and was pointed to HiFX. I've since received an information pack from them and from what I can tell, this is the best way to go.

- CDM
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
Why? I thought this WAS the Oz forum.

You can use a foreign exchange conpany like HiFX to make the transfer for you. Very cheap and you get a better exchange rate than with the bank. I asked this question myself not long ago and was pointed to HiFX. I've since received an information pack from them and from what I can tell, this is the best way to go.

- CDM
It was in the Lounge originally I moved it here.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:21 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It was in the Lounge originally I moved it here.
Ah! I see
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

flodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really niceflodsfive is just really nice

Ozforex (ukforex in uk) good as well, can register with a few and compare what they will give you below interbank exchange rate. If you are transferring a good amount you should be able to get close to the interbank trading rate. Most of the foreign exchange companies do not charge commission. UKforex gave us 0.68 cents below interbank rate. knowing the rate will help compare the different companies. Hifx give goods rates as well. Sometimes they do not like to tell you what rate they have allocated you but if you push them you will.

Overall well impressed we transferred our money paid for it at approx midday it was in our aussie account by breakfast the next day.