Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best way to send money abroad

Best way to send money abroad

Old Jan 1st 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice
Default Best way to send money abroad

Just wondered which is the best way for someone to send money from UK to OZ for occasions such as christmas and birthdays for the kids. I have briefly looked at opening a bank account with HSBC before I move over but I dont like the look of the charges. Can anyone suggest better, cheaper ways?
Thanks. xx
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to send money abroad

Tranzfers are the best for small amounts (under $5,000). They charge GBP7 for transfers from UK to OZ.

You set up an account with Tranzfers (it's free). You specify which bank account in Oz the money should go to. Then with the help of internet banking you transfer your GBP into the Tranzfer's client account and within a few days it's in the Oz bank account.

www.tranzfers.com
Old Jan 1st 2010, 5:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sarmstrong
Just wondered which is the best way for someone to send money from UK to OZ for occasions such as christmas and birthdays for the kids. I have briefly looked at opening a bank account with HSBC before I move over but I dont like the look of the charges. Can anyone suggest better, cheaper ways?
Thanks. xx
When you say charges for HSBC, what charges do you mean ?

If you keep a UK credit card going, you could get the birthday money etc paid into that card, and then spend it here, with that card.

That reminds me, i'd better check my card balance and see what the daughter got this year

Old Jan 1st 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

sarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nicesarmstrong is just really nice

Thanks for the replies, at the moment I am not with HSBC and I dont have a credit card so I would be opening an account purely for the privilege of being able to transfer money across. Looking at the charge, its a one-off fee of £100 to set up an offshore account. This is waived if you are a premier customer but you still need to have a balance in the account. Think I will have to look into this a bit more but will ddefinitelylook at tranzfers.com.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sarmstrong
Thanks for the replies, at the moment I am not with HSBC and I dont have a credit card so I would be opening an account purely for the privilege of being able to transfer money across. Looking at the charge, its a one-off fee of £100 to set up an offshore account. This is waived if you are a premier customer but you still need to have a balance in the account. Think I will have to look into this a bit more but will ddefinitelylook at tranzfers.com.
If you open it when you arrive in Australia, there is no charge. It is only a charge by the UK bank for the service, if you do it from outside Australia.