Best relocation areas for mid-30s in Melbourne

Best relocation areas for mid-30s in Melbourne

Old Oct 26th 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

MilesAndStiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best relocation areas for mid-30s in Melbourne

Hi folks,

Pretty much as the topic states.

I've been doing some project work in Melbourne for my employer recently and I've been verbally offered the prospect of relocation, most likely to take the form of an initial 6-12mth secondment followed by a longer-term offer if everything goes well.

I'm kind of figuring that before we get to any salary negotiations, it would probably be best to have an idea of what sort of lifestyle I would be expecting and to base any salary negotiations from there onwards.

Given that I'm a divorced and happily single bloke in his mid-30's, I don't think the younger culture in South Yarra or Prahran is my cup of tea any more, so I would appreciate any guidance as to where the decent areas for someone in my sort of age range and situation would be.

I suppose I would like - ideally - a nice semi or 1/2bd apartment with parking space for my car and motorcycle, along with storage for ourdoor equipment. What areas would I be looking for and what sort of price ranges would I be looking at paying?

I know these sorts of questions are very pie in the sky, but hopefully I've given enough information to try and narrow things down a little!

My employer will offer a relocation package, but housing and lifestyle costs are what I need to know before I can negotiate a salary that will be comparable to what I'm on in the UK at the moment.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas for mid-30s in Melbourne

See next post, some weird double posting going on.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 26th 2015 at 8:01 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want inner outer or middle suburbs, . Many inner suburbs have a high young population due to the big student and booming international student business. Nice not get me outta here apartments with all your require ments I would allow upwards of 450. Popular areas rent and sell over the advertised price due to competition. One suburb I liked was yarraville its certainly full of 30 ish people but many are young families. Also liked Eltham but its 40 mins train to city. Melb has about 300 suburbs. You could probably get inner city for around 600 a week or less if you dropped car/storage,
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:09 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

South Melbourne, Port Melbourne and Albert Park would be my choices if I were to move down there. Close to the city, close to the bay, lots of restaurants, bars and pubs and a good tram service. Perfick for a 30 something who wants a social life in a nice area.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend looking at Hawthorn, Richmond, Fitzroy, Brunswick, St Kilda and Carlton. You may find what you are looking for in one of those.

BB
Old Oct 26th 2015, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Use realestate.com.au to give you some idea of rental prices.

Keep in mind RE photography can be, well lets just say very kind

Units in my recent experience may go over by up to $70 a week if they are newish and in a popular area.

Leases are almost always 12 month minimum unless its advertised as short term accom.
Old Oct 26th 2015, 9:10 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MilesAndStiles
I don't think the younger culture in South Yarra or Prahran is my cup of tea any more
I wouldn't have said the demographic in these places was that young...the average would be pretty close to your age I'd guess. All the inner suburbs would be much of a muchness I think. With the possible exception of say St Kilda West / Albert Park / Middle Park...have to say I find some of these a bit dull...even if they look pretty!
Old Oct 27th 2015, 3:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I wouldn't have said the demographic in these places was that young...the average would be pretty close to your age I'd guess. All the inner suburbs would be much of a muchness I think. With the possible exception of say St Kilda West / Albert Park / Middle Park...have to say I find some of these a bit dull...even if they look pretty!
Yeah my cousin lives in south Yarra, he is early 40 and single.

Son now rents east st kilda, certainly very central to all the action and a very pretty street, trams to city a quick roll off the sofa to the stop. Took ages to find a good one in their budget, some total horror units/neighbouring tenants seen along the way. Budget was under 350 though you can imagine Much younger than OP.

Neice 28 in Abbotsford, Actor/director was in Balaclava before. Seems to satisfy the arts crowd criteria.

Under 5 stops to city direct, or a 15 min tram would be on my wishlist for future rentals.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

We're moving to Melbs in the new year and did a bit of house hunting whilst on holidays there last month.

We found the North east suburbs around Heidlburg to be quite nice for houses with gardens etc and train is 25-30mins into Flinders so still pretty convenient.

If you ain't fussed about having room or a garden then apartments anywhere in/around the CBD will suit but of course are pricey. Maybe look at the docklans area as plenty of new apartments going up yet the area is quite quiet for the restaurants and shops in the last few years but easy tram to the CBD.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Do you want inner outer or middle suburbs
Difficult to say, really.

I think I'd prefer close enough that I could cycle in to work or get a reasonably short cab, but far enough away that it's outside that city center bubble.

How do things look around 10-15KM outside the CBD?

Also liked Eltham but its 40 mins train to city
That's not too unreasonable.

What did you like about the area specifically?
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I would recommend looking at Hawthorn, Richmond, Fitzroy, Brunswick, St Kilda and Carlton. You may find what you are looking for in one of those.
I've been out with the company in St Kilda and it seemed nice enough, although I've also read that it can have issues with drugs and prostitution.

I assume that's all fairly contained within certain areas and so long as I avoid them, I'm not going to be propositioned on my way to work in the morning?
Old Oct 27th 2015, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by denzil73
If you ain't fussed about having room or a garden then apartments anywhere in/around the CBD will suit but of course are pricey.
Not particularly fussed about a garden, although secured parking would be nice.

I think I'm on a hiding to nothing with that one in the CBD though!
Old Oct 27th 2015, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=MilesAndStiles;11780425]Difficult to say, really.

That's not too unreasonable.

What did you like about the area specifically?[/QUOT

Eltham. Green hilly . A lot of melb is very flat. Loads of people out walking biking . Air a LOT fresher than inner city. Pretty slightly country feel yet reasonable distance about 25 klm to melb. No real nightlife but has restaurants etc. I guess it would be more family than singles though.

There is certainly a drug prostitution scene in St Kilda, son went looking at flat sharing before they settled on a tiny 2 bedder to escape other flatmates. Some amazing sights into what goes on there, hilarious but not exactly wholesome. LOL. Yes certain streets pubs are notorious hang outs. St Kilda is hardly a one off though, loads of drugs all over melb.

10 - klm ring can be OK, can be bland too, flat brown boring, or expensive if leafy. Its all about transport links though, remember most trains involve changing on the city loop/north melb. Can be a a pain having to go in to CBD to get out again to another line. I like trams but find the buses painfully slow. Public transport is cheap about $7.80 a day cap. Cheaper weekly monthly.

I would base the search around your transport to work, bike is good, but melb gets insane, extreme weather at times, storms, severe winds or occasionally extreme say 44C heat ! in winter it could be a polar blast as they call it , a option to cycling on those days is essential.

Renting is good, if you will accept some quite modest accommodation, it gives you a chance to live in the nicer areas that buying in would be hideously expensive.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 27th 2015 at 7:24 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2015, 7:35 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Best relocation areas for mid-30s in Melbourne

Originally Posted by MilesAndStiles
I've been out with the company in St Kilda and it seemed nice enough, although I've also read that it can have issues with drugs and prostitution.
Yes it does have a number of undesirable elements!

Have a look at some of the other areas I suggested, they would not have this problem.

BB
Old Oct 27th 2015, 9:22 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes it does have a number of undesirable elements!

Have a look at some of the other areas I suggested, they would not have this problem.

BB
With the exception maybe of Hawthorn I think all of them would to some extent! Have you never been to Victoria St (Richmond)? Gives Fitzroy St a run for its money!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.