Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:04 am   #61
buzz Female
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Cardiff > Sydney > Brisbane
Posts: 145
buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by verystormy View Post
Actually, it is nothing to do with sweat. It is CO2 they follow. Interestingly, they can detect it from 2km and will track it. It is possible to buy CO2 traps, but there normally only used by industry - i have one here recently installed. It cost about $6k.

There is also no such thing as some people who are bitten and some arent. Everyone is bitten to the same amount. But some people do not react to the bite. This can change in different countries - for example, i do not react to the bites here, but i do to the mossquitos over the border in the Congo.

We get about 60 cases of malaria per year. Half will report never having been bitten.
Hmm, not sure that is entirely true. CO2 (together with heat) is certainly a major cue, and acts from a distance as you say, but other odours (e.g. those in sweat) also act as attractants, and it has been shown that different people are more or less attractive and that this appears to be related to specific components of their sweat.
buzz is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2013, 5:17 pm   #62
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 3,238
Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

A year or so ago I discovered that a fabric-softener called "Bounce" keeps mosquitoes away from my bed at night, and I have a sheet at my feet when I'm at my desk. I don't know what's in it, and I don't know if it's available in Oz. I live in the Caribbean. If I am bitten (when I'm away from the Bounce, of course), then I rub the spot with Bounce and it eases the itch.

Cheap and easy. If it's sold in Oz, go for it!

(I had malaria many years ago in Vila, in what is now Vanuatu, and dengue is not uncommon here, so I take mozzies seriously.)
Gordon Barlow is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2013, 8:00 pm   #63
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
Posts: 938
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
That's interesting to know. I'll try that. Not sure about vegemite though. Does Marmite work?
No idea about marmite and to be honest I treat Vegemite as medicine because frankly its not great but in my experience it does work. I was so attractive to mosquitoes my wife used me to prevent herself from being bitten but not any more.....
isgraham is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:08 pm   #64
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Whyalla, SA. From Wakefield, UK.
Posts: 237
LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

I don't seem to get bitten much but where we live there seems to be an abundance of just regular fly's. They don't bite as I say but they are so annoying and itchy when the keep sitting on my head. Should these repellants mentioned keep them away too?
LeeWillo is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:10 am   #65
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,603
RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Marmite or Vegemite eaten along with what was said about the garlic.

I found smashing some garlic in pan and adding baked beans most effective, especially along with slice of vegemite smeared toast with boiled eggs.

Manuka honey is also very effective












Once smeared over your partners unsuspecting back. They will be in pain but you will be bite free.
RedDragon2008 is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:39 pm   #66
Beerophile
Moderator
 
Alfresco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,714
Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon2008 View Post
Marmite or Vegemite eaten along with what was said about the garlic.

I found smashing some garlic in pan and adding baked beans most effective, especially along with slice of vegemite smeared toast with boiled eggs.

Manuka honey is also very effective












Once smeared over your partners unsuspecting back. They will be in pain but you will be bite free.
Alfresco is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:42 pm   #67
Beerophile
Moderator
 
Alfresco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,714
Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWillo View Post
I don't seem to get bitten much but where we live there seems to be an abundance of just regular fly's. They don't bite as I say but they are so annoying and itchy when the keep sitting on my head. Should these repellants mentioned keep them away too?
I have yet to come up with a simple way to keep house flies away. I'm gonna work on this solution this coming summer.
Alfresco is offline  
Old Aug 30th 2013, 10:08 pm   #68
BE Forum Addict
 
Japonica's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Canada->WA->Melbourne
Posts: 1,609
Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
I like Stop Itch + it works really fast & stops the scratching urge. I've tried the clicker as well but it's just like a zap from one of those BBQ igniters
Another vote for Stop Itch here. The school nurse also stocks it apparently.

Two of the mums at school are getting over RRV and it's not even the time of year for it yet. Yikes.
Japonica is offline  
Old Aug 31st 2013, 2:42 am   #69
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,819
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

This.....

If I lived somewhere where mosquitos were at levels where they posed a real thread to humans then I would definitely get one.


I know a bloke in Cairns that cleared his 1/2 acre block with something similar.... Co2... the Light and a human pheremone.





Stuff the chemicals that you put on your skin.
__________________
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/h/3/p/y/7/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gh3mu3.png/1431853071627.jpg
ozzieeagle is offline  
Old Aug 31st 2013, 4:52 am   #70
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,789
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
This.....

If I lived somewhere where mosquitos were at levels where they posed a real thread to humans then I would definitely get one.


I know a bloke in Cairns that cleared his 1/2 acre block with something similar.... Co2... the Light and a human pheremone.


http://youtube.com/watch?v=qMvqCRh3C1U


Stuff the chemicals that you put on your skin.
Looks effective, I'd need a lot of extension leads to take it fishing, camping, or for a day out at the beach though. The mosquito problem isn't around most homes [we have similar products & zappers in the house. It's when you're out living your life. Then it's much easier to prevent Ross River fever (Australia-wide) Dengue fever, Barmah Forest virus (Australia-wide) & Murray Valley encephalitis with a simple tropical strength Deet or Picaridin spray. The question was regarding repellants rather than static zappers etc.
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Aug 31st 2013, 5:00 am   #71
Moreland Member
 
ozzieeagle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,819
ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
Looks effective, I'd need a lot of extension leads to take it fishing, camping, or for a day out at the beach though. The mosquito problem isn't around most homes [we have similar products & zappers in the house. It's when you're out living your life. Then it's much easier to prevent Ross River fever (Australia-wide) Dengue fever, Barmah Forest virus (Australia-wide) & Murray Valley encephalitis with a simple tropical strength Deet or Picaridin spray. The question was regarding repellants rather than static zappers etc.

Personally I reckon one of these at circa 500 Aud is a must for every home north of Capricorn. It would go a fair way in quelling the problems around town at least.

Why bother with nets, blinds and other barriers when you can buy one of these and keep your home area free of most mosquitoes. They do need a still sheltered area though.

I wont wear any of that deet stuff, so I'll have to keep covered or build some kind of clear area when and if I venture into mossie territory.
__________________
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/h/3/p/y/7/image.gallery.galleryLandscape.620x414.gh3mu3.png/1431853071627.jpg
ozzieeagle is offline  
Old Aug 31st 2013, 8:52 am   #72
Grumpy Poppy
Moderator
 
cresta57's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Redneck Wonderland
Posts: 9,789
cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzieeagle View Post
Personally I reckon one of these at circa 500 Aud is a must for every home north of Capricorn. It would go a fair way in quelling the problems around town at least.

Why bother with nets, blinds and other barriers when you can buy one of these and keep your home area free of most mosquitoes. They do need a still sheltered area though.

I wont wear any of that deet stuff, so I'll have to keep covered or build some kind of clear area when and if I venture into mossie territory.
The trouble is you're actually attracting them to your back garden with those things. We found with our zappers that they do tend to attract way more than usual.
When camping I usually find a bit of damp wood keeps the fire just smoky enough to keep them away [along with a few mozzie coils dotted about]
Why the fear of Deet?
I admit I'm the same with most sunscreens & tend to cover up rather than apply it I do put it on my face & lower legs when I'm out in the kayak. Not so much a fear, more of an intense dislike of having greasy sticky lotion all over me.
__________________
Sean Ò¿Ó.
cresta57 is offline  
Old Aug 31st 2013, 9:21 am   #73
Beerophile
Moderator
 
Alfresco's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 20,714
Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresta57 View Post
The trouble is you're actually attracting them to your back garden with those things. We found with our zappers that they do tend to attract way more than usual.
When camping I usually find a bit of damp wood keeps the fire just smoky enough to keep them away [along with a few mozzie coils dotted about]
Why the fear of Deet?
I admit I'm the same with most sunscreens & tend to cover up rather than apply it I do put it on my face & lower legs when I'm out in the kayak. Not so much a fear, more of an intense dislike of having greasy sticky lotion all over me.


Meet too. There are some good ones now that allow you to have normal tactile functionality after about a minute.
Alfresco is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com