Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:53 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've just remembered a home made repellent that really works (did for us, anyway). We were up at Horrocks Beach and the sandflies were in plague proportions. A local gave us their recipe, equal amounts of baby oil and Dettol, in a spray bottle. The two won't blend so you'll need to shake the bottle before spraying. The sandflies stayed well clear, apparently it works for mozzies too.
My mum swears by a similar one 1/3 Dettol 1/3 tea tree oil 1/3 eucalyptus oil combined then added to an equal amount of baby oil. I hate both the smell & the oiliness [is that even a word]
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
My mum swears by a similar one 1/3 Dettol 1/3 tea tree oil 1/3 eucalyptus oil combined then added to an equal amount of baby oil. I hate both the smell & the oiliness [is that even a word]
It's most definitely a word I would have smothered myself with poo if it'd kept those bloody sandflies away!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:16 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's most definitely a word I would have smothered myself with poo if it'd kept those bloody sandflies away!
Anecdote time: A few years ago I owned a smaller tinnie that we would take right up the tidal creeks to fish for Mangrove Jack. One trip to our horror we both forgot any form of repellent. My trusty 80% deet Bushman's hadn't got enough in it for either of us even after cutting the tube open & mixing it with water
We improvised by using the mud from the river bank mixed with ash from someone's campfire all bound together with banana boat sunscreen. It stopped the sandflies but was hopeless against the mozzies. At the boat-ramp we both dived in for a good wash.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Anecdote time: A few years ago I owned a smaller tinnie that we would take right up the tidal creeks to fish for Mangrove Jack. One trip to our horror we both forgot any form of repellent. My trusty 80% deet Bushman's hadn't got enough in it for either of us even after cutting the tube open & mixing it with water
We improvised by using the mud from the river bank mixed with ash from someone's campfire all bound together with banana boat sunscreen. It stopped the sandflies but was hopeless against the mozzies. At the boat-ramp we both dived in for a good wash.
Very inventive!
Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived here to pick up our son in about 2002 he had just sailed down the Great Sandy Straits from Bundaberg to Inskip Point. He was so badly bitten by the Sandflies we had to tape a pair of socks on his hands to stop him scratching himself raw in his sleep. Tea-tree oil worked a little for the itching Calamine was better
Deb has a very bad reaction to them & comes up in large ugly looking blisters. I just get a small red mark that itches for a couple of hours
Yeah, I had blisters for weeks. Very itchy and painful.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 10:14 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

When we first arrived here to pick up our son in about 2002 he had just sailed down the Great Sandy Straits from Bundaberg to Inskip Point. He was so badly bitten by the Sandflies we had to tape a pair of socks on his hands to stop him scratching himself raw in his sleep. Tea-tree oil worked a little for the itching Calamine was better
Deb has a very bad reaction to them & comes up in large ugly looking blisters. I just get a small red mark that itches for a couple of hours
Ouch! Sandflies are the worst. I get badly bitten by them every time I visit Port Dickson in Malaysia. Strangely, my in-laws & wife dont get bitten by them at all and my kids only a little bit. During the last trip there in July, a few of the bites turned badly septic. I reckon the secret against sandflies is eating lots of garlic, chilli and spicy foods. Will try the theory out next time.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 11:35 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So, when the repellents don't work, what's the best treatment for bites?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Morphine or Whiskey.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Morphine or Whiskey.
I've considered the whiskey, but it was a bit early

I have a mozzie bite on my chin
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've considered the whiskey, but it was a bit early

I have a mozzie bite on my chin
Could try a Burka. Difficult to sleep in I would imagine.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Could try a Burka. Difficult to sleep in I would imagine.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:17 am

I like Stop Itch + it works really fast & stops the scratching urge. I've tried the clicker as well but it's just like a zap from one of those BBQ igniters
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:22 am

I like Stop Itch + it works really fast & stops the scratching urge. I've tried the clicker as well but it's just like a zap from one of those BBQ igniters
Thanks Cresta - shall have a look for that tomorrow. Been rubbing dissolvable paracetamol on the bite this afternoon which has helped a bit (saw it on Bondi Beach for blue bottle stings so thought it was worth a try )
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:26 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Cresta - shall have a look for that tomorrow. Been rubbing dissolvable paracetamol on the bite this afternoon which has helped a bit (saw it on Bondi Beach for blue bottle stings so thought it was worth a try )
You're having problems with mozzies already?
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by paulry
You're having problems with mozzies already?
I had problems with mozzies the week we arrived

The bites on my arms are not as bad as they were first times I was bitten - but I have a mozzie bite on my chin which is very annoying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.