Reload this Page >

Decent Wages in Sydney

Decent Wages in Sydney

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:48 am
Just Joined

afrocleland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Decent Wages in Sydney

Hi,

I've been looking at a possible relocation with my work (large American bank) to Sydney. I'm not entirely sure of what the wages would be yet, but the plan would be that I could afford a fairly nice Studio/1 Bed Apt quite close to the office, which is fairly near the centre (close to Westfield Shopping Centre), but also have enough left to support myself and my girlfriend (who would look for work when we get there.) We don't drink, so that seems to save us money here, but we'd only really move from the UK if we were going to have a decent standard of living.

Any ideas/advice?

Cheers
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decent Wages in Sydney

Originally Posted by afrocleland
Hi,

I've been looking at a possible relocation with my work (large American bank) to Sydney. I'm not entirely sure of what the wages would be yet, but the plan would be that I could afford a fairly nice Studio/1 Bed Apt quite close to the office, which is fairly near the centre (close to Westfield Shopping Centre), but also have enough left to support myself and my girlfriend (who would look for work when we get there.) We don't drink, so that seems to save us money here, but we'd only really move from the UK if we were going to have a decent standard of living.

Any ideas/advice?

Cheers
That's the thing, I would... But don't want to just to emigrate. We're thing leaving that til were close to 30! I tried asking my work if they'd help but they more or less said I'd need to get the job all agreed before they'd give me an answer! Damn HR!!
Get the job offer first then compare

But don't expect it to be cheap
Old Aug 24th 2013, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Any ideas/advice?

Cheers
There would be a whole range of salaries within the bank. What is a decent salary to one person might not be to the next. If you get 2.5AUD to what you earn in GBP then that would be in the same ballpark in terms of standard of living you could get.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

alexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nice

Take your UK income and times it by 2.5 to 3, don't eff about with anything less.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with the above. 2.3 as a minimum.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 3:50 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Any ideas/advice?

Cheers
Ah must be JP Morgan.
How do you define a "decent standard of living"?
Obviously money is important, as stated in above posts, but there are many unquantifiables.
Do you love the outdoors? Beach? Or do you love shopping, or what?
Tell us more about your interests. What do you want in a city?
Old Aug 31st 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Pretend you are living in London, with regards to rents, public transport etc and see if you could survive there on the offered salary whilst living within a few miles of the CBD. If so, then Sydney would be fairly equivalent.

You say "Westfield", which one? There are many Westfield shopping centres in Australia and in Sydney, If it's the one on Pitt Street then imagine living within a mile or so of Oxford St London and you'd be about on the money.

If you are prepared to live half an hour commute, then you would have far more and cheaper options, especially if looking at studio apartment type rentals.