Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Best Mosquito Repellents?

Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

stevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nicestevewales25 is just really nice
Default Best Mosquito Repellents?

Hi, my girlfriend gets eaten alive everytime she sits outside, does anybody have any tips on how to get the little buggers to leave you alone?

I have been to bunnings and bought the repellent coils but is there anything else worth recommending?

thanks in advance
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 12:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Mosquito Repellents?

Originally Posted by stevewales25
Hi, my girlfriend gets eaten alive everytime she sits outside, does anybody have any tips on how to get the little buggers to leave you alone?

I have been to bunnings and bought the repellent coils but is there anything else worth recommending?

thanks in advance
All the personal insect repellents are pretty effective, not sure what to suggest if your girlfriend doesn't like using those.

ps coils, citronella candles etc are useless in my opinion.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Never found anything that deterred the little buggers from finding the sqmm of skin that wasn't covered! People do reckon that Avon Skin So Soft is a really good option but I've never got around to trying it. Another suggestion is taking mega Vit B supplements

The weirdest thing is that in Aus they'd spot me coming from miles away and descend in hoardes to bite me whilst my DH would wander around outside all the time and never got bitten or if he did it didn't itch (itching drove me bonkers!). Since moving to UK I've been bitten once I think and it didnt itch. He's been bitten many many times and reports that they are itching like crazy! Karma!!!!

Last edited by quoll; Aug 23rd 2013 at 6:25 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Eat plenty of garlic.

Eat more garlic. When you eat garlic, especially large quantities of it, an invisible layer of garlic oil seeps from your pores and creates a mosquito barrier. If you don’t like the thought of eating more garlic, you can also use garlic juice to make a natural repellant. According to hometownannapolis.com, ‘Mix one part garlic juice with 5 parts water in a small spray bottle. Shake well before using. Spray lightly on exposed body parts for an effective repellent lasting up to 5 to 6 hours.’ And if you don’t like the idea of reeking of garlic, you can dip strips of cotton cloth into the malodorous mixture which you can then hang in strategic areas such as patios, decks and such as a local deterrent.

http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-mave...low-tech-style
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:38 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Eat plenty of garlic.

Eat more garlic. When you eat garlic, especially large quantities of it, an invisible layer of garlic oil seeps from your pores and creates a mosquito barrier. If you don’t like the thought of eating more garlic, you can also use garlic juice to make a natural repellant. According to hometownannapolis.com, ‘Mix one part garlic juice with 5 parts water in a small spray bottle. Shake well before using. Spray lightly on exposed body parts for an effective repellent lasting up to 5 to 6 hours.’ And if you don’t like the idea of reeking of garlic, you can dip strips of cotton cloth into the malodorous mixture which you can then hang in strategic areas such as patios, decks and such as a local deterrent.

http://www.curbly.com/users/diy-mave...low-tech-style
Was about to say exactly the same
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Was about to say exactly the same

Yep, we also keep a few sprays around like Aerogard Tropical strength, which can help.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Beer, if consumed in sufficient quantities, seems to reduce the irritation.

BB
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Beer, if consumed in sufficient quantities, seems to reduce the irritation.

BB
Now that you mention it, I don't seem to have a mozzie problem!
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Once bitten, underarm deodorant if rolled on the bite eases the itching.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 9:46 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevewales25

thanks in advance
Area repellents (like coils and candles etc) seem to be utterly ineffective if you have a real mozzie attraction (as I do, I'm sure it's because I'm A-ve)

I personally solve the problem by never venturing outdoors if I can help it, but I appreciate that this isn't practical for everyone Tropical strength repellents work the best for me - the whole garlic thing never did the trick. Don't forget to spray some on your hands and wipe them around your face, back of the neck etc.

If she does get bit, treat it with something as soon as possible - not only am I a mozzie magnet, I also have horrific reactions to the bites. Icecubes directly on the bite are good to relieve the itching, failing that an immediate application of bite relief cream/spray.

Quoll- TheVileEx used to swear by Avon's SkinSoSoft but it never worked for me, unfortunately.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Dreamy - I'm A- too and mozzies love me.
I don't venture outside at dusk or dawn without being completely sprayed from head to toe - including clothing - with tropical strength aeroguard. It works. There need to be that many citronella candles burning to be of any use for me that the fire brigade are on standby....
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

I use the natural based ones when out walking in the summer at dusk and find they're enough. My skin reacts to DEET, so any conventional ones are out.

Then again, maybe it's the garlic in my homemade salad dressing...
Old Aug 24th 2013, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Alaska I didn't get bitten by a mozzie ONCE.... I used DDT...
Old Aug 24th 2013, 3:35 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Mossies love me, I got bitten for the first time for a while this morning so the interminable Brisbane summer must be just around the corner.

I've found a Vitamin B supplement helps things, you've just reminded me to get some more ...
Old Aug 24th 2013, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have spent a huge amount of time on this, in the last few months as i work in a malaria area in Africa and i am responsible for the well being of my camp. When i arrived we had an instance of 35% malaria - So, 35% of the camp had had malaria per month. We have not had a case now for a month.

So, these are the official guides:

Avoid dark clothing - mozzies are attracted to it.

Avoid smoking - they follow CO2.

Wear long sleeves / trousers

Sleep under a mosquito net - you can buy them in lots of places in Perth and i would assume most other Oz cities

Get rid of any standing water - so if you have a pot plant outside, check it doesnt have a pool of water at the base.

Repellant. A DEET based repellant is the only proven thing that keeps them off. The best brand is Bushmans. Here i use the 80% version. But that is excessive for Oz. I would recomend the 20% version.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.