Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:13 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Need to get 1/2-a-dozen of these and the ones I have seen have been rather mediocre (one had these "wings" making it so wide it made the socket next to it unusable). I just want a simple one that isn't let down by some idiotic design.

Any place you think of first when you need a regular, decent one?
Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:33 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best conversion plug UK to AU?

Just get a UK 4-way adapters and put an Aus plug on it. Probably most reliable and compatible.

Otherwise the best ones I've seen are the really cheapo ones you get when you order stuff from Hong Kong, eg. -

For example http://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs...411013546.html

Small enough that they don't get in the way, and providing you are not putting much current through them, reliable enough.

Last edited by GarryP; Aug 22nd 2015 at 12:26 am.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Need to get 1/2-a-dozen of these and the ones I have seen have been rather mediocre (one had these "wings" making it so wide it made the socket next to it unusable). I just want a simple one that isn't let down by some idiotic design.

Any place you think of first when you need a regular, decent one?
EBay - $10 for 10 delivered

But you really should be rewiring the plugs
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 11:54 am

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Any good ones made for the Aussie market that aren't the upside-down versions that were destined for China?

Since both plugs are the same - albeit rotated 180 degrees - those made for China will have your UK plug upside down when used here. Not heart-breaking stuff, but I'd prefer something made for AU.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 1:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
.... But you really should be rewiring the plugs
This.

Adapters are great for travellers and visitors, but they are not a safe long-term solution.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This.

Adapters are great for travellers and visitors, but they are not a safe long-term solution.
I agree, and if I was staying long-term I'd change the plugs myself. But I'm heading out next year and the current plugs on my appliances will once again be useful.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Just get a UK 4-way adapters and put an Aus plug on it. Probably most reliable and compatible.

Otherwise the best ones I've seen are the really cheapo ones you get when you order stuff from Hong Kong, eg. -

http://www.samsungxcables.com/305-37...rical-plug.jpg
For example 20pcs/lot UK/US/EU Universal to AU 3 Pin Power Plug Adapter Travel Converter Australia-in Electrical Plugs & Sockets from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Small enough that they don't get in the way, and providing you are not putting much current through them, reliable enough.
Guaranteed against shorting and causing house fires/electrocutions. ....Not
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:04 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

But you really should be rewiring the plugs
+1
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 10:12 pm
Banned

Plugs in Australia have got to be the crappiest, most dangerous that I've ever known. The best ones are in South Africa. They have great (and very safe) ones there that you don't even need a screwdriver to fit - a teaspoon will do!
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 12:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Plugs in Australia have got to be the crappiest, most dangerous that I've ever known. ....
I assume you have never been to America. Many plugs are flimsy and loose in the socket, and often don't have a ground pin. It is possible to buy "adapters" that allow appliances, or an extension cord, with a ground pin to be plugged in to a two-hole non-grounded socket.

Then there is the electrical code requirement that socket be about 18" above the floor, and that almost all plugs in the US have cords that stick out at 90° to the wall, rather than coming out of the bottom of the plug.

It has only been required that clothes dryers have a ground pin since about 1993 too, so there are still many dryers that have a power cord that don't have a ground pin, and many houses that only have "three pin" (groundless) socket and groundless wiring. ...... And therefore people routinely buy groundless powercords to attach to their brand new dryers, so there are going to be many more years of dryers without a separate ground.

FWIW "pre 1993 code" dryers are grounded through their neutral wire.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 1:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I assume you have never been to America. Many plugs are flimsy and loose in the socket, and often don't have a ground pin. It is possible to buy "adapters" that allow appliances, or an extension cord, with a ground pin to be plugged in to a two-hole non-grounded socket.

Then there is the electrical code requirement that socket be about 18" above the floor, and that almost all plugs in the US have cords that stick out at 90° to the wall, rather than coming out of the bottom of the plug.

It has only been required that clothes dryers have a ground pin since about 1993 too, so there are still many dryers that have a power cord that don't have a ground pin, and many houses that only have "three pin" (groundless) socket and groundless wiring. ...... And therefore people routinely buy groundless powercords to attach to their brand new dryers, so there are going to be many more years of dryers without a separate ground.

FWIW "pre 1993 code" dryers are grounded through their neutral wire.
Sounds like you have similar annoyances in the US. Our plugs in Australia have their cords coming out at pretty much every direction other than the neat bottom-down configuration and are annoying when you have mixed (many cord-directioned) plugs on a multiple socket plug point. Extension lead sockets/socket strips are very poor quality too resulting in frequent shorts. When I buy a house later this year/early next, I'm going to get UK plug points fitted alongside nearly all of the Aussie ones.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 2:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Extension lead sockets/socket strips are very poor quality too resulting in frequent shorts.
Yes if you buy the cheapest, shittiest ones. A few years ago I bought an Arlec 4 outlet, surge protected board with 2 3A USB ports. Great quality

The Belkin brand boards are very good too
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:06 am
Banned

Yes if you buy the cheapest, shittiest ones. A few years ago I bought an Arlec 4 outlet, surge protected board with 2 3A USB ports. Great quality

The Belkin brand boards are very good too
Agreed, I have a couple of the surge protected ones and they're definitely better. However, even the cheapest shittiest ones should be safe.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Since both plugs are the same - albeit rotated 180 degrees - those made for China will have your UK plug upside down when used here. Not heart-breaking stuff, but I'd prefer something made for AU.
Don't think it's anything to do with some supposed chinese plug which is an upside down UK shape. Instead it's so that the upside down Australian plug (eg earth at the bottom) can easily tie up with the UK earth element.

Never had any problems with these adapters - unlike some other more expensive ones bought in 'reputable' shops. Still say a UK 4-way with an aussie plug on it is the best bet.

Would never touch a Belkin anything with a barge pole - overpriced and underperforming.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

However, even the cheapest shittiest ones should be safe.
And they generally are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.