Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bereavement flights

Bereavement flights

Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bereavement flights

Hi everyone,

Had some bad news and wondering if anyone knows of airlines with bereavement flights ? Flights at $1750 are the cheapest I can find just now.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bereavement flights

Sorry to hear about your bad news.

I don't know if they do that sort of thing these days, the price you've quoted is pretty good. I think they will find you a seat in the circumstances if the flight is showing full but not sure about discounts.

I had to do this last year when I had to fly back for my Dad's funeral but just booked whatever the price was, fortunately for Singapore they were pretty good prices at the time and had the availability.

Not nice having to do that flight for those reasons so take care.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

riccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of lightriccardo1888 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply !

I'll give them a try anyway.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:36 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sad news and I am sorry for your loss.

Contact a few of the airlines direct and tell them it is a bereavement flight. They will likely find you a seat and may offer a discount. You might also have the seat next to you blocked to respect your privacy at this time. Plus you may be checked straight through.

Please note that you may be required to give the airline proof of bereavement so please do not be offended by this.

I gave a copy of the death cert . It is for their records & to ensure the help is not abused.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riccardo1888
Hi everyone,

Had some bad news and wondering if anyone knows of airlines with bereavement flights ? Flights at $1750 are the cheapest I can find just now.

Thanks
You have my sympathy, horrible reason for having to fly

You'll just have to go with general flight prices, although some airlines will pull out the stops to get you on a flight at short notice if you tell them the reason why. Crews are often very good at looking after bereaved passengers too - they'll keep an eye out for you getting upset for instance. When I flew home cos my Dad passed away Qantas offered a crew member to stay with me during the Singapore transit (I refused, but nice to be offered!) and I got a free upgrade on JAL coming back.

Hope you manage to find a reasonable price.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Ok thanks guys.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:13 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd follow the advice of contacting direct, but I'd also have some prices in my back pocket as well. A quick search on kayak is showing some $1300 Royal Brunei flights and some $1700 Qatar.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kayak ? Will need to try that
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences.

Like others have said many airlines no longer offer bereavement flights. BA were kind enough however to refund a ticket I had purchased for later in the year and wouldn't use as couldn't afford two trips (it was a non-refundable ticket). I just had to provide a copy of the death certificate.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:18 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Kayak ? Will need to try that
KAYAK - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Airline Tickets, Cheap Tickets, Cheap Travel Deals - Compare Hundreds of Travel Sites At Once
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thanks
Sorry to hear you have had bad news.No matter where you live its always hard.I hope you get your flights back sorted soon.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You have my sympathies. Direct may work. We got no help with Cathay when we had to do the same journey last year. Didn't even get a 'oh that's sad'.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You have my sympathies. Direct may work. We got no help with Cathay when we had to do the same journey last year. Didn't even get a 'oh that's sad'.
THat's dreadful.

My flights were with Emirates - if that helps at all.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone. Skyscanner look like the cheapest.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:14 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your situation.

On bereavement flights...sometimes people misunderstand them...they generally don't involve a discount, so you shouldn't expect to find anything cheaper than what you'll see online. What they do tend to offer is flexibility over and above the normal conditions for a fare...e.g. free date changes etc. when normally a fee would apply.