Benefits

Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Benefits

Does Parenting payment or child payments in Australia run (until 18 years of child) even when the child is living overseas (UK or US)?I heard Australia have tax/social security agreements with UK,US and several other countries?How does this agreement work if citizen child is living there?

Last edited by economy_1; Oct 27th 2014 at 4:25 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Benefits

Originally Posted by economy_1
Does Parenting payment or child payments in Australia run (until 18 years of child) even when the child is living overseas (UK or US)?I heard Australia have tax/social security agreements with UK,US and several other countries?How does this agreement work if citizen child is living there?
I wouldn't bank on it for much longer if it does ....... The age of entitlement is over.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 10:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would it? If the child is not living with you then why should the Australian tax payers fork over payments for them?
Old Oct 28th 2014, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

ABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond reputeABCD...... has a reputation beyond repute

Residence requirements for Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B (Child Benefits)

To be eligible for Family Tax Benefit Part A and Part B you must satisfy residence requirements. You must be living in Australia and:
  • have Australian citizenship
  • hold a permanent visa
  • hold a Special Category Visa
  • hold a certain temporary visa type for example a partner provisional, interdependency or temporary protection visa

Your child must also meet the residence requirements or be living with you and you must continue to meet the residence requirements for as long as you get this payment.

You may be able to claim a payment during a temporary absence from Australia if you have been absent for less than 3 years.

Family Tax Benefit

From personal experience, they STOP it as soon as you leave the country. Passport control (Immigration) appear to advise Centrelink of all departures. They also advise Motor Registry offices of your movements too. (again personal experience)
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCD......

Passport control (Immigration) appear to advise Centrelink of all departures. They also advise Motor Registry offices of your movements too. (again personal experience)
They certainly do!!

Every trip, and we take few! I would get a letter from Centerlink to advise me my payment of ZERO !!!! was cancelled. ( we are over the income limit) but obviously centerlink know from your tax return you have kids.

They know every trip and every move.

My accountant who is registered tax agent, can get from the govt my bank interest details, the chemist can check your medicare entitlements...

I would not be surprised if this govt knew what I had for bloody dinner last night
Old Nov 4th 2014, 1:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^ Pad See Yu according to the ATO!! :0 :0
Old Nov 4th 2014, 5:24 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I would not be surprised if this govt knew what I had for bloody dinner last night
If you paid by CC then certainly.

A lot of the systems are now linked and data mining is possible across agencies, which is actually a good thing. As far as leaving the country goes, every exit & entry is logged in the system. You can even apply to receive your travel records this way... and they will gladly give you a print-out of when and where you left/entered the country in the last decade.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 7:02 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why would it? If the child is not living with you then why should the Australian tax payers fork over payments for them?

+1
Old Nov 4th 2014, 8:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
If you paid by CC then certainly.

A lot of the systems are now linked and data mining is possible across agencies, which is actually a good thing. As far as leaving the country goes, every exit & entry is logged in the system. You can even apply to receive your travel records this way... and they will gladly give you a print-out of when and where you left/entered the country in the last decade.
Absolutely. A couple of times on this forum I have been told that is wrong and that passports and your comings and goings are private

I just thought at the time, good luck with that because its not the case at all. And when you move to Australia you will find that out, sooner or later

I would assume it was the case most places too, but a couple of Brit migrants seemed assured neither UK or AUS did it.

I also think in a country with only 23 million people and only 8 million? workers its particularly easy for the govt to know who is up to what.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 9:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

They certainly do!!

Every trip, and we take few! I would get a letter from Centerlink to advise me my payment of ZERO !!!! was cancelled. ( we are over the income limit) but obviously centerlink know from your tax return you have kids.

They know every trip and every move.

My accountant who is registered tax agent, can get from the govt my bank interest details, the chemist can check your medicare entitlements...

All your hospital records are centralized and accessible as well - was sort of glad of that when my sister was unexpectedly in a country hospital, as all her hospital records from Perth were bought up at the touch of a keystroke. None of it really bothers me, being a lily white kind of person

I'm also not adverse to people deliberately fiddling the immigration, social security or tax systems being caught out
Old Nov 4th 2014, 9:52 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, privacy is a thing of the past though luckily we still live in free times. UK is the same and no form of electronic communication is possible without passing through some very sophisticated systems. But as mentioned we still live in good times where none of this is used to stifle democracy or human rights, but simply to weed out the worst elements around us.

The capabilities are scary though, and the US for instance could fall into authoritarian rule and civilians would be helpless to do anything about it. It would literally be "game over" in such a scenario.

P.S. Was good to see the tv show "Revolution" recently (highly recommended! - even though unfortunately JJ Abrams helped produce it), where suddenly the world has to live without electricity.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
All your hospital records are centralized and accessible as well - was sort of glad of that when my sister was unexpectedly in a country hospital, as all her hospital records from Perth were bought up at the touch of a keystroke. None of it really bothers me, being a lily white kind of person

I'm also not adverse to people deliberately fiddling the immigration, social security or tax systems being caught out
I dont mind the hospital records, but didnt like the recent idea they had of ALL medical professionals being able to see ALL records. So your physio for eg could read up on your gynae notes, or your dentist your mental health, etc etc. TOO much info thank you.

They check when you buy and sell property now too, we had a bill recently from 2009, land tax. House was rented for a brief while, didnt even think of land tax as it was still legally Principal place of residence but if its rented land tax kicks in. So 5 years on $1400 bill thank you, luckily, no fine or the 75% penalty tax, as it was an obviously an error, not some fraud job.

Also once got a letter too about a $126 overpayment in childcare rebate It was YEARS later and one month the income had crept slightly higher than declared. I couldn't even remember what child or center they were on about, just paid it.

There was an english family out here about 10 years ago, they had kept a business and rented out house in the UK, claiming all the aus benefits, while earning in the UK, they got caught. They were steaming acting like they were wronged
Old Nov 4th 2014, 12:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I dont mind the hospital records, but didnt like the recent idea they had of ALL medical professionals being able to see ALL records. So your physio for eg could read up on your gynae notes, or your dentist your mental health, etc etc. TOO much info thank you.

They check when you buy and sell property now too, we had a bill recently from 2009, land tax. House was rented for a brief while, didnt even think of land tax as it was still legally Principal place of residence but if its rented land tax kicks in. So 5 years on $1400 bill thank you, luckily, no fine or the 75% penalty tax, as it was an obviously an error, not some fraud job.

Also once got a letter too about a $126 overpayment in childcare rebate It was YEARS later and one month the income had crept slightly higher than declared. I couldn't even remember what child or center they were on about, just paid it.

There was an english family out here about 10 years ago, they had kept a business and rented out house in the UK, claiming all the aus benefits, while earning in the UK, they got caught. They were steaming acting like they were wronged
I'm with you re your health records - they're just about the most personal info that can be held about you and I'd bloody well object to just anyone sticking their nose into them as well.

The family that got caught getting benefits they weren't entitled to - how sad, too bad

I must admit, I'm not entirely comfortable with the amount of personal info gathered about people in Oz. Will be interesting to see if it's the same in the UK - not that I'd probably even know