Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beer! How much is too much?

Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Beer! How much is too much?

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I agree that is a lot! 8/9 bottles a night is verging on alcoholism.

I don't think the money is that excessive. I like to drink Belgian beer. 4 beers at the Belgian Beer Cafe can easily be $50. But that's my preference. To me it's quality over quantity.

I would quite happily trade a slab of VB for a 6 pack of Rochefort 10. mmmm
I'd go so far to say that it's a bit more than verging on. Again, though - it's not necessarily about quantity, it's about why. Through AA, I've met people who could polish off 2 bottles of vodka and 8 cans of lager A DAY... and then people who were drinking a much more 'moderate' bottle of wine a day. A bottle of wine a day doesn't sound like an awful lot. Many people drink that and more. But, by most health standards, it's still excessive: 70-odd units a week.

If he's drinking to fill a hole in his life, to compensate for disappointments, to boost his confidence, to forget his problems, to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible for as long as possible... then I'd say that's definitely alcoholic behaviour.

He has to accept it's a problem, though. Until he does, then he can't begin to recover.

Have a look at this website. You might well find some of the answers there that you need to have.

http://www.al-anon.org/australia/

It's an organisation, affiliated to AA, which is there to help the families and friends of drinkers. There will hopefully be meetings near to you, and perhaps, if you wanted to, you could go along to one of them on one of the evenings when your husband's out drinking. They gave a huge amount of support to my mother when my dad's drinking got out of control and she didn't know what else to do.

It's also worth having a look here as well:

http://www.aa.org.au/

Good luck. It's a horrible illness. But there's help out there.

(you're always welcome to PM me if you want any other advice or support)

Last edited by MartianTom; Nov 4th 2009 at 9:58 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Ooops sounds like it is a problem
Glad you recognised that, Bernieboy. It's no laughing matter. As the son of an alcoholic, and as a recovering alcoholic myself, I can tell you it's deadly serious. Seriously deadly, too.

In the wrong hands, with the wrong person, the grief it can cause far outweighs the 'benefits' it gives.

Last edited by MartianTom; Nov 4th 2009 at 10:00 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:03 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spellbound
I think its a problem, as its a problem to me and could cost our 21 year marriage.

We can afford it but I still think its a lot to spend on something that I receive no benefits from and end up with a man I dont like very much when hes been drinking. I would like the money to be spent on items that benefit us both or towards savings for our grey nomadic future which currently is looking bleak.
Things like this can ruin lives but only if you let it. Sounds to me like 21 years of marriage may be worth fighting for.

I know if my wife told me that she didnt like me when I'm drunk and it was jepordising my marriage that would probably be the last day I ever drank again. Maybe you could consider going out somewhere and talking it through on a walk or similar ?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I thought that 28 units for a man per week was the UK recommendation?

I'm assuming that there's 4 units in a large 750ml bottle, so that's 7 a week which can be drunk - or one a night. Not much is it?

Although I have a home brew kit so I don't have to worry about the cost. I started brewing when a student. Even a modest three nights out a week would be around the 50 pound a week mark. It mounts up over the year!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

lee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant futurelee_h has a brilliant future

I think its a problem, as its a problem to me and could cost our 21 year marriage.

We can afford it but I still think its a lot to spend on something that I receive no benefits from and end up with a man I dont like very much when hes been drinking. I would like the money to be spent on items that benefit us both or towards savings for our grey nomadic future which currently is looking bleak.
Write him a letter telling him how you feel about him and his drinking. He can read it over and over....more powerful than arguing.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

you could perhaps:

Try to find out how much he drinks per day, then keep a tally of how much he drinks over the month, estimate how much each drink is then giving him an amount per month he drinks - see if the cost scares him. You may also multiply it by two to be on the safe side and to take account that people usually underestimate how much they drink.

Rather than yelling about the cost just point it out discretely so he doesn't get defensive.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:01 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I expect 12 bottles of wine a week is too much also
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Wow, so it is only 21 units for a man perweek.

I now have the choice to either cut drinking to 5 long necks per week, or, since it's home brew cut the alcohol content in half to drink 10 per week
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:33 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Wow, so it is only 21 units for a man perweek.

I now have the choice to either cut drinking to 5 long necks per week, or, since it's home brew cut the alcohol content in half to drink 10 per week
I'm relieved at having 9 units to play with.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Beer drinking and beer fridges are an iconic part of Aussie blokes.

I'm having a bit of a dispute with my husband at the moment about exactly how much is too much. He suggested that I found out how much other people drink, so I thought that I would ask the good expats.

Men - How much do you drink a week?
Woman - How much does your man drink a week?

My husband is spending on average $100 a week - about 48 bottles plus a couple of bar visits. I think its excessive, he disagrees.
That's a lot . . . more than a six-pack every night. Does he ever have a night off?

Me? No more than six beers during the regular week plus six at a weekend . . . tops

If he thinks 48+ is reasonable, asks him what he considers to be unreasonable . . . 70, 80?

Last edited by spartacus; Nov 5th 2009 at 1:47 am.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartianTom
I'd go so far to say that it's a bit more than verging on. Again, though - it's not necessarily about quantity, it's about why. Through AA, I've met people who could polish off 2 bottles of vodka and 8 cans of lager A DAY... and then people who were drinking a much more 'moderate' bottle of wine a day. A bottle of wine a day doesn't sound like an awful lot. Many people drink that and more. But, by most health standards, it's still excessive: 70-odd units a week.

If he's drinking to fill a hole in his life, to compensate for disappointments, to boost his confidence, to forget his problems, to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible for as long as possible... then I'd say that's definitely alcoholic behaviour.

He has to accept it's a problem, though. Until he does, then he can't begin to recover.

Have a look at this website. You might well find some of the answers there that you need to have.

http://www.al-anon.org/australia/

It's an organisation, affiliated to AA, which is there to help the families and friends of drinkers. There will hopefully be meetings near to you, and perhaps, if you wanted to, you could go along to one of them on one of the evenings when your husband's out drinking. They gave a huge amount of support to my mother when my dad's drinking got out of control and she didn't know what else to do.

It's also worth having a look here as well:

http://www.aa.org.au/

Good luck. It's a horrible illness. But there's help out there.

(you're always welcome to PM me if you want any other advice or support)
Excellent post . . .
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:51 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Beer! How much is too much?

Any!

My husband is spending on average $100 a week - about 48 bottles plus a couple of bar visits. I think its excessive, he disagrees.
Definitely excessive and potentially dangerous.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm impressed with the calorific content of beer. One website says that 100grams of beer has around 40 calories. One long neck (assuming 750ml = 750g) therefore has around 300 calories. According to the website 2000 calories a day is around what somebody should consume.

Three long necks of beer is around half the normal calorie intake!

Hooray for the beer belly!

[I]Disclamer - the 2000 calories a day value comes from a US website so it may be above what is normal for most people[ /I]
Old Nov 5th 2009, 1:58 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Is that all,the man's a big jessie
I have asked for the above reply to be deleted as inappropriate attempt at humour,i no longer see the funny side of this rather serious thread when a man's marriage,home and in fact his life are in danger,apologies to the OP,and good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:55 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

That's a bit too much for everyday living. 6-8 bottles a night thats a beer gut in progress right there.

I would spend about $40-50 on a slab every 2-3 weeks. The wife would consume about a bottle of Vodka every 6-7 weeks.

I cant drink if I am working within the next 12 hours so my go nuts opportunities are rare. Mrs Z rarely drinks at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.