Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beer! How much is too much?

Beer! How much is too much?

Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:54 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold
Default Beer! How much is too much?

Beer drinking and beer fridges are an iconic part of Aussie blokes.

I'm having a bit of a dispute with my husband at the moment about exactly how much is too much. He suggested that I found out how much other people drink, so I thought that I would ask the good expats.

Men - How much do you drink a week?
Woman - How much does your man drink a week?

My husband is spending on average $100 a week - about 48 bottles plus a couple of bar visits. I think its excessive, he disagrees.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beer! How much is too much?

Originally Posted by Spellbound

I'm having a bit of a dispute with my husband at the moment about exactly how much is too much. He suggested that I found out how much other people drink, so I thought that I would ask the good expats.

My husband is spending on average $100 a week - about 48 bottles plus a couple of bar visits. I think its excessive, he disagrees.
I'll pass, on the grounds I might scare myself sober
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

A $100 a week on beer

He is only a part timer

Paddy
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:40 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairwayskid
A $100 a week on beer

He is only a part timer

Paddy
That's only 11 pints of Bulmers and $1 change at Gilhooleys.....
Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Well, health guidelines over here (UK) say 21 alcohol units per week for men, 14 for women.

As a recovering alcoholic, I can only say that it's a problem if you can't do without it - even if you only drink in the evenings - and also if you're drinking to make yourself feel better about your life. And, of course, if it's costing too much money - or more than you can reasonably afford.

I'd say his drinking is definitely excessive, from the point of view of his health - but then others would say he's an amateur! And my dad (bless him) drank heavily all his life and still made it to 77. The family never had any money, though, because of it - and he and mum were always in debt.

Then again... that Aussie beer's only gnat's water, isn't it?

Last edited by MartianTom; Nov 4th 2009 at 12:52 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:57 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

It's only a problem if it costs you more than just money

Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Till you go dizzy.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:42 pm
Banned

DumbFalang is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been discussing the same subject with my wife and friends lately.

I have been drinking a bottle per night at home and have come to the conclusion that it is just a little too much for me to remain healthy. I asked a friend and he drinks 3 bottles every night

My new target is one every other night, but my wife is happy drinking her quota of one every night, so we seem to be meeting half way at the moment. Apart from the obvious side effect of a mini beer belly, I think drinking any more than a bottle a day cannot be good for the "male parts" - amongst other things.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud ofMartianTom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyx0

Excellent point
Old Nov 4th 2009, 6:22 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

The "new" Australian Guidelines say that in order to reduce your risk of lifetime harm you should you should -

"drink no more than 2 standard drinks a day"

to reduce the risk of short term harm you should

"drink no more than 4 standard drinks on any one occasion"

You should not drink at all during pregnancy and you should delay the onset of drinking alcohol in teenagers for as long as possible as adolescent brains do not cope well with the effects.

A standard drink is basically a can or stubbie of mid strength beer or 100ml of wine.

A summary of the guidelines is here:-

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/your_health/.../index.htm#sum

along with info on what a standard drink is and you can also download the full pdf of the guidelines and read all about the evidence that supports why these guidelines have been brought in. If you want to scare yourself silly and never drink again that is.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 7:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

So take out the couple of nights out at the bar, thats about 8/9 bottles every night....

That not just excessive, thats an issue
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:20 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johnnyx0

I think its a problem, as its a problem to me and could cost our 21 year marriage.

We can afford it but I still think its a lot to spend on something that I receive no benefits from and end up with a man I dont like very much when hes been drinking. I would like the money to be spent on items that benefit us both or towards savings for our grey nomadic future which currently is looking bleak.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:26 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
So take out the couple of nights out at the bar, thats about 8/9 bottles every night....

That not just excessive, thats an issue
I agree that is a lot! 8/9 bottles a night is verging on alcoholism.

I don't think the money is that excessive. I like to drink Belgian beer. 4 beers at the Belgian Beer Cafe can easily be $50. But that's my preference. To me it's quality over quantity.

I would quite happily trade a slab of VB for a 6 pack of Rochefort 10. mmmm
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:32 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a problem, as its a problem to me and could cost our 21 year marriage.

We can afford it but I still think its a lot to spend on something that I receive no benefits from and end up with a man I dont like very much when hes been drinking. I would like the money to be spent on items that benefit us both or towards savings for our grey nomadic future which currently is looking bleak.
Ooops sounds like it is a problem
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

When I went for a medical in the UK, they asked me how many units I drank. I said "Oh about 20 or so", they said that's very good, "about the limit for a week", I said, "Oh no, 20 a night!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.