Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Beach safety - excellent video on rips

Beach safety - excellent video on rips

Old Dec 19th 2008, 10:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Beach safety - excellent video on rips

If you're new to beach life (and most British expats are), then it's incredibly important that you understand the danger of rips. There's a rip on Bondi beach that's called Backpackers Express because so many tourists, who have no understanding of rip currents, get stuck in it and need rescuing.

The excellent video below will give you an idea of what to look out for. If you don't understand about rips, ask the surf lifesavers at the beach you're at or - if it's unpatrolled - ask the surfers, they'll definitely know because they use the rips to get out through the breakwater. Members of this forum or their family members have died in rips, so please take a couple of minutes to watch it and be safe on the beach this summer.

Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beach safety - excellent video on rips

Some very useful info there. Well worth keeping this post up near the top.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:38 am
Citizen Of The World

benlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud ofbenlast has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
The excellent video below will give you an idea of what to look out for. If you don't understand about rips, ask the surf lifesavers at the beach you're at or - if it's unpatrolled - ask the surfers, they'll definitely know because they use the rips to get out through the breakwater.
That is excellent, Hutch; thanks.

There are also some useful pictures of rips on this page: http://www.loving-long-island.com/rip-currents.html, and in this PDF, giving more examples to help you recognise rips.

Cheers
b
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpfull, thanks Hutch. Have heard of rips but didnt really know how to spot one. Will make sure my daughter watches the video !

Nicky
Old Dec 20th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's great advice. I got caught in a rip once at Piha Beach in Auckland, NZ. Suddenly, I couldn't touch the bottom and could feel myself being pulled further out and fast. I raised my hand, as every kiwi kid is taught, and the people I was with raised their hands and waved back from the safety of the surf.

Fortunately, I did the right thing and swam towards the white water at the side. I was still way out of my depth but managed to get in with the surf once out of the rip. When I told my friends what had happened they didn't believe me, which just goes to show that even people raised in these conditions don't always know the dangers. The surf lifesavers never came, but possibly watched through binoculars and saw me get out of trouble.

My husband rescued an elderly woman from a rip once, but her husband was drowned and this makes us always aware. We teach our kids to stand and assess the waves constantly.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Hutch
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Thanks Hutch

Just made the family sit down and watch it.

minibelle
Old Dec 20th 2008, 9:45 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Hutch - wasn't really sure what to look out for, so it's helped.

Made my kids watch it aswell, you never know it may save them one day
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Hutch. The first thing we did when we got here to WA was take our kids for surf lessons so they could learn from someone very experienced with the ocean.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 10:47 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

QUOTE]

Most educational- thanks.

Dave
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:17 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Dougie
Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

good post...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
That's great advice. I got caught in a rip once at Piha Beach in Auckland, NZ. Suddenly, I couldn't touch the bottom and could feel myself being pulled further out and fast. I raised my hand, as every kiwi kid is taught, and the people I was with raised their hands and waved back from the safety of the surf.

Fortunately, I did the right thing and swam towards the white water at the side. I was still way out of my depth but managed to get in with the surf once out of the rip. When I told my friends what had happened they didn't believe me, which just goes to show that even people raised in these conditions don't always know the dangers. The surf lifesavers never came, but possibly watched through binoculars and saw me get out of trouble.

My husband rescued an elderly woman from a rip once, but her husband was drowned and this makes us always aware. We teach our kids to stand and assess the waves constantly.
Yea - they're scarey things. I pulled a kid out of a flash rip last week when I was on patrol. I happened to be splashing about in the water when I saw him get flushed backwards off the sandbar. As long as you keep your head, you're usually alright.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:33 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything like that with subtitles fr the deaf?
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - he's a 'surf scientist' where can I get a job like that - its it on the MODL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.