British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   BBC's iPlayer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/bbcs-iplayer-507202/)

jodrisco Apr 25th 2009 5:54 pm

Re: BBC's iPlayer

Originally Posted by Hutch (Post 7513494)
Never used 'em myself, but people seem to have mixed experiences with these VPN companies whoever they go with. I'm with consult-here and have no issues, but someone else on these forums has been having issues with 'em. I think the way to go is work your way through them paying the one month fee until you find one that works for you.

Wise words Hutch but I have a confession to make. I noticed after I posted my rant that I had 2 email addresses for UKiVPN, so I forwarded my accumulated email gripes to alternative UKiVPN who responded immediately. I had been mailing the automated address - OOPS! They've sent me an alternative IP to use and I am now connected. So, as far as the UKiVPN support response is concerned I have to eat lots of humble pie. Now awaiting response why the other 2 IP addresses they gave me aren't working.

ozzieeagle Apr 25th 2009 9:55 pm

Has anyone here know or heard of anyone using a slingbox. I'm just curious about the picture quality.

I realise it depends on the upstream, but if you do have a fast up connection, is the picture quality passable ?

Is a slingbox connected to say a Virgin subscribed fibreoptic multiroom (so exclusive use) set up the way to go ?

Kids have stuffed up my Download quotas for the last 2months so I've not been able to experiment with anything on ITV catchup or VPN properly yet.

I will be changing to Internode as soon as they say they have free ports at my exchange.

Hutch Apr 25th 2009 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 7514272)
Has anyone here know or heard of anyone using a slingbox. I'm just curious about the picture quality.

I realise it depends on the upstream, but if you do have a fast up connection, is the picture quality passable ?

Is a slingbox connected to say a Virgin subscribed fibreoptic multiroom (so exclusive use) set up the way to go ?

Kids have stuffed up my Download quotas for the last 2months so I've not been able to experiment with anything on ITV catchup or VPN properly yet.

I will be changing to Internode as soon as they say they have free ports at my exchange.

One of the peeps in the Lab opened up their Slingbox (in the States) for public viewing a few months ago and I had a look, as did many others. The general consensus was that whilst it worked, it wasn't the greatest picture in the world. Certainly put me off the idea of sticking a Slingbox in my mate's attic and abusing his 24Mb ADSL2 connection.

Telly May 22nd 2009 8:09 am

Hi everyone....

I have made a system that allows you to watch iPlayer etc. on your PC and I am hoping to find some people to test it for me.

I posted on a couple of threads asking for people willing to help out but haven't heard anything yet.:(

It isn't a VPN system, and it doesn't require any setting up, you just click it and watch. But, I am not sure it works everywhere yet, which is why I'm hoping to enlist the help of some friendly people.

If you can spare a couple of minutes one day I'd be very grateful...

Please PM me.

Many thanks. :)

coolerkingcooler May 22nd 2009 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Telly (Post 7594638)
Hi everyone....

I have made a system that allows you to watch iPlayer etc. on your PC and I am hoping to find some people to test it for me.

I posted on a couple of threads asking for people willing to help out but haven't heard anything yet.:(

It isn't a VPN system, and it doesn't require any setting up, you just click it and watch. But, I am not sure it works everywhere yet, which is why I'm hoping to enlist the help of some friendly people.

If you can spare a couple of minutes one day I'd be very grateful...

Please PM me.

Many thanks. :)

PM Hutch, he's posted a lot and knows what he's talking about (so I believe:D).

Cheers,
Cooler

Telly May 22nd 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Cooler... thank you very much for that. I will PM him.

All the best :)

MarkMC May 22nd 2009 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Telly (Post 7594638)
Hi everyone....

I posted

With only 8 posts you could be anyone, how do we now this system is not going to do something sinister?

How does it work?

spalen May 22nd 2009 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by MarkMC (Post 7596686)
With only 8 posts you could be anyone, how do we now this system is not going to do something sinister?

How does it work?

Ive seen the design for it its quite safe, it starts by running something called the Phishing module, after that , there was some comments in some cyrrulian text which I think was chechen, a few subroutines and then the SpamEngine calls which were something to do with warming up the monitor like on the old telly's so you dont get fuzzy pictures, then the last bit , which I think must've been the piece to bring the pictures across the interweb to your screen was the BotController, which seemed to have some stuff in it to stop it ever being switched off and some handy code that let the guy who wrote it get access to your PC in case there was a problem. It even had some virus in it to stop it getting infected by other viruses - I think like penicillin works on gnumans.

Hutch May 23rd 2009 12:28 am

Originally Posted by spalen (Post 7596708)
Ive seen the design for it its quite safe, it starts by running something called the Phishing module, after that , there was some comments in some cyrrulian text which I think was chechen, a few subroutines and then the SpamEngine calls which were something to do with warming up the monitor like on the old telly's so you dont get fuzzy pictures, then the last bit , which I think must've been the piece to bring the pictures across the interweb to your screen was the BotController, which seemed to have some stuff in it to stop it ever being switched off and some handy code that let the guy who wrote it get access to your PC in case there was a problem. It even had some virus in it to stop it getting infected by other viruses - I think like penicillin works on gnumans.

You sound, ermm, sceptical.

Telly May 23rd 2009 9:29 am

Hi all....

I understand perfectly that people are cautious, I know I would be. But I can assure you it is nothing sinister.

@Spalen, I am not sure what program you have seen but it isn't mine. In fact it has never been released to anyone yet. The only people that have seen it are my own friends and family.

I wrote it over the last 2 months, and have been using it and tweeking it for myself for the last 3 weeks.

I'm not sure how to convince people that I am not some rogue virus merchant, other than to say I can assure you I am not.

If anyone would like to test it for me they are welcome to run any amount of antivirus/spyware programs on it they like before they test it.

However, I fully understand if people are wary, so please PM me with any doubts and I will do my best to answer it.

Many thanks.:)

globalongoings May 23rd 2009 9:59 am

Originally Posted by the_nanny_uk2 (Post 6886163)
Go try www.uknova.com as you can then download any programme you want hun. Free.

j x

Nice idea but i really dont think it might solve the problem ...

MarkMC May 23rd 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Telly (Post 7597451)
@Spalen, I am not sure what program you have seen but it isn't mine. In fact it has never been released to anyone yet. The only people that have seen it are my own friends and family.

Someone don't get our sarcasm/humour.....

Once it is downloading you do not need the UK ip address, I imagine that the UK address is only needed to get the download URL?
I'm sure these could be worked out/calculated with the right coding? Having said that, that last few I have downloaded have also downloaded usage rights from media player, this has also required the UK ip, so that need stripping out.

Hutch May 23rd 2009 12:18 pm

Have downloaded and tested it. My bank account remains as empty as it always is, my computer unmolested by viruses.

The application shows great promise. You get live BBC1 and 2, catchup 3, 4 on demand and all the usual iPlayer stuff without having to use a VPN or HideMyIP or anything. That said the stream kept rebuffering constantly, which it normally doesn't when I view stuff in the UK. But yea, interesting application. :)

aussiedreamz May 24th 2009 1:09 am

I have had a chance to test this guys software France 24, Sky News and MTV work, but none of the beeb channels, ch4 or 5 will work at all...

Hutch may I ask how you got the BBC progs working as I am being denied access with the same old "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why? "

pip12 Oct 24th 2009 1:41 pm

Guys, Hutch oh Guru et al

I got the Hide Ip software and I can get the thing to work with Beeb, ItV and Chan 5. I cannot get it to work with Channel 4 it simply gives me an error, any suggestions?