BBC's iPlayer

Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:03 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough
Default BBC's iPlayer

Has anybody currently in Oz tried this out - can you receive the programs??

I tried Channel 4's version whilst on a trip last year but couldn't receive any programs due to some sort of international broadcasting restriction thingy??
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:49 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all
Default Re: BBC's iPlayer

Originally Posted by sla453

I tried Channel 4's version whilst on a trip last year but couldn't receive any programs due to some sort of international broadcasting restriction thingy??
Just seen this http://www.sharewareplaza.com/Anonym...oad_14811.html

You can try 40 times before buying, or alternatively try www.tvcatchup.com you need to be a UK licence payer, but I'm sure you could create an account for say your parents or something :

Allan
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sla453

When you connect to the BBC site they check your IP address. This tells them if you are in the UK or elsewhere, due to licensing restrictions they cannot allow you to connect from outside the UK.
There is a relatively easy workaround, by using a proxy server. Basically this means connecting to the proxy server (with a UK IP address) then connecting to the BBC site to download or view the iPlayer content.

This is from a previous post on the subject:

Go to the following page and look for a UK server

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Then in Internet Explorer go to Tool>Internet Option>Connections>Lan Settings and enter the IP address and port number and this may do the trick for you. You may need to restart Internet Explorer before the settings take effect.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

E17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud ofE17Avenue has much to be proud of

This may get merged into a thread in The Lab that I started last week. Thanks for the info, will check it out.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by allankate
This type of thing is a good way to hide your IP address. The iPlayer actually needs to see that your IP is from the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:47 pm
Somewhere in Oz

sla453 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aus2be
When you connect to the BBC site they check your IP address. This tells them if you are in the UK or elsewhere, due to licensing restrictions they cannot allow you to connect from outside the UK.
There is a relatively easy workaround, by using a proxy server. Basically this means connecting to the proxy server (with a UK IP address) then connecting to the BBC site to download or view the iPlayer content.

This is from a previous post on the subject:

Go to the following page and look for a UK server

http://www.proxy4free.com/page1.html

Then in Internet Explorer go to Tool>Internet Option>Connections>Lan Settings and enter the IP address and port number and this may do the trick for you. You may need to restart Internet Explorer before the settings take effect.

Hope this helps.
Nice 1
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

ExPatDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Have tried several ways with limited success:
1. The free Proxies (if you can find one that works at all) tend to die and offer a very patchy service at best.
2. VPN works for iPhone too (proxies don't work for iPhone), but they can be expensive.

Cheapest VPN that works, and is fast enough to stream video with no buffering interruptions, is probably UKiVPN.com It costs $75AUD for 12 months and works flawlessly.

I'm using it on an iPhone which I've hooked up to a plasma. Picture is roughly equivalent to a compressed cable channel and really quite watchable.

This also allows you to watch over a 3G signal - though there's less buffering delay via WiFi.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

the_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nicethe_nanny_uk2 is just really nice

Go try www.uknova.com as you can then download any programme you want hun. Free.

j x
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:15 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

I've been following this thread with interest. I registered with uknova as i thought i would be able to download programmes but as I'm not very technical how do you actually down load a programme?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:09 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Signed up for a vpn effort (vpngates) told them I wanted a UK ip address rather than a US one - it seems to work fine on iplayer from sydney.

Check here:
http://www.thatstheplan.com/?page_id=211
Old Oct 18th 2008, 11:52 am
Emigrated 24/11/07

jellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud ofjellibaby has much to be proud of

Use this software - yes you DO have to pay for it but it is cheaper than a TV Licence! It's $50 for 2 years which is about £20quid or £10 per year I mean come on its a no brainer. Its BBC TV and radio - NOT sure - even though its an IP hide whether ITV will download - I can not seem to get Corrie to stream so can't say if paying the money will give you ITV or not - but it certainly gives you BBC iPlayer FOR CERTAIN.

http://www.hide-ip-soft.com/purchase.htm
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jellibaby
Use this software - yes you DO have to pay for it but it is cheaper than a TV Licence! It's $50 for 2 years which is about £20quid or £10 per year I mean come on its a no brainer. Its BBC TV and radio - NOT sure - even though its an IP hide whether ITV will download - I can not seem to get Corrie to stream so can't say if paying the money will give you ITV or not - but it certainly gives you BBC iPlayer FOR CERTAIN.

I can confirm that this software works.

I used it to stream from BBC iplayer.
Can also download with the BBC iplayer download manager.

Streams from ITV and Channel4 as well.

This was using the three hour trial. So i will buy the full version.

Does anyone know if you can download from ITV and channel 4? like you can with the bbc.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham__smith
Does anyone know if you can download from ITV and channel 4? like you can with the bbc.
Channel 4 operate the 4oD service, which is much the same as iPlayer - download what you want, watch it within 7 days - DRM prevents copying. At the moment ITV operate only a catch-up service which enables you to watch online, but not download.

Could you tell me how solid the download stream was from hidemyip? Did it stutter or cut out much when you were watching - or did you just download things?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

graham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura aboutgraham__smith has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hutch
Channel 4 operate the 4oD service, which is much the same as iPlayer - download what you want, watch it within 7 days - DRM prevents copying. At the moment ITV operate only a catch-up service which enables you to watch online, but not download.

Could you tell me how solid the download stream was from hidemyip? Did it stutter or cut out much when you were watching - or did you just download things?

Hi Hutch

My wife watched River City on iplayer(Tragic i know) streaming on iplayer. No stuttering but stopped to buffer a few times towards the end.

I downloaded stephen frys america on iplayer. I was surprised that it worked but it did.

Was going to watch taggart on Itv but it buffered a fair bit. Didnt try it long though.

I then watched Grand Designs on channel 4. No stuttering at all.

Then I switched to an american IP nd watched the simpsons on fox.com no stuttering.

Its incredibly easy to change between american and UK IPs it just refreshes the browser when you do it.

The one downside was it was quite slow to navigate the websites when using the software. so it migh be useful to navigate to the program you want, bookmark it and then turn on the program.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

ThisIsNotKansas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jellibaby

UK NOVA issues:
1. It's a file-sharing network, so you serve up content once downloaded to maintain a specific ratio
2. Blocked by some ISPs
3. Needs you to run a separate BitTorrent client
4. Has lots of bogus / risky content - beware viruses

OINK:
1. Was pretty good till it collapsed under law suits.

HideIP Software Issues:
1. Need to run special software on your machine
2. Not available for iPhone or similar mobile devices
3. Needs lots of upgrades and patches - is still a bit buggy

VPN Solutions:
1. Are expensive (cheapest is $75AUD)

Free Proxies:
1. Are flaky at best - too slow / intermittent
2. 90% don't work
3. The rest die after a few hours
4. Tend to be slow
5. Serious privacy issues

Best / most reliable option looks like having to shop around for the cheapest VPN solution. If you find one cheaper than above, please post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.