Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
You're confused

I'm getting really p---ed off with it

Da Boss?....Is that you???!!!!!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I used to live near Manly - just down the rod from Dee Why. Those spiders are harmless, but the ones they didn't show, Red Backs (can give a nasty bite) and the Sydney Funnel Webs (which can kill if you don't get the anti-venom) are not harmless - and in plentiful supply - especially in nooks and crannies. My then 7 year-old daughter came across one level with a stairwell a few years back. She had the good sense not to go anywhere near it. She was cool about it, whereas the adults freaked-out.

Hi Mike Stanton

I'm sure it would take a lot of getting used to, especially since some are very dangerous unlike here in the UK.

But to me a SPIDER is a SPIDER - I hate them with a passion!

No matter here or there I would do all I could to get rid of them like we do now!

There are hundreds in the UK, especially after dark they crawl out of the walls and along the pavements and make their webs all around the outside of houses! My Mums friend lives near a small wood and boy he has HUGE spiders crawl along the floor of his lounge :scared:

Be careful and know what to expect - learn which ones are dangerous and which ones are harmless before you go. Common sense goes a long way
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

The McGintys is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to say how I felt for the mum of the family.

She obviously had fantastic Friends & Family support back in the UK and I think she felt very guilty about taking the children away from her parents, who obviously spent alot of time with them.

I expect lots of tears in the first few months, as I too will be left at home with my two toddlers, 3 & nearly 2. My plan is to get a part time job so I can make friends & have a social life.

I really dont think that your immediate family can be the only friends you need. I need to go out at least once a week and meet up with a few girlfriends, just to keep me saine!! I think its ecspecially important to make friends outside the home when you are a stay at home mum. :lecture:

I really enjoyed the programme and thought the family were very honest and seemed to cope with the move very well
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Da Boss?....Is that you???!!!!!

HA HA Very Funny steandleigh!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The McGintys
Just wanted to say how I felt for the mum of the family.

She obviously had fantastic Friends & Family support back in the UK and I think she felt very guilty about taking the children away from her parents, who obviously spent alot of time with them.

I expect lots of tears in the first few months, as I too will be left at home with my two toddlers, 3 & nearly 2. My plan is to get a part time job so I can make friends & have a social life.

I really dont think that your immediate family can be the only friends you need. I need to go out at least once a week and meet up with a few girlfriends, just to keep me saine!! I think its ecspecially important to make friends outside the home when you are a stay at home mum. :lecture:

I really enjoyed the programme and thought the family were very honest and seemed to cope with the move very well
Hi
I agree with a lot of what you have said.

I stayed home with my children for 11 yrs before going back to part time work. I know that if we had made a move to the other side of the world when they were young, I would have found it very hard to cope with the pressure of being young Mum with very young children without any family support, and hubby being at work all day, although I know many do that already - single parents etc. hats off to them.

It often seems harder for the women than for the men, as in this programme.
Reason being I think, most men, not all before I get spat on don't go through all the emotional reasoning but just get on with it, its the wife thats left at home with the screaming, bored, fedup kids

Enough I think!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it is fair enough that if you have a close family that you will miss them, but in the program the woman missed her friends and family after less then 2 weeks (so the program makers made us believe).
Old Aug 13th 2004, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

The bit I didn't understand was how come they were so glad to see video messages from home etc but Mr Computer Expert hadn't bothered to even set up a webcam with back home.

Surely this would have made it easier for the missus
Old Aug 13th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Its the producers of the programme, they just want to make it as dramatic as possible - they probably did have a webcam but weren't allowed to let on!

But seriously, I think it can take a while to get online.

(someone will probably correct me if I've been mis informed)

Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Hi Mike Stanton

I'm sure it would take a lot of getting used to, especially since some are very dangerous unlike here in the UK.

But to me a SPIDER is a SPIDER - I hate them with a passion!

Be careful and know what to expect - learn which ones are dangerous and which ones are harmless before you go. Common sense goes a long way
Commonsense? Of course. Approach dark corners of garden sheds, renovated properties etc with care.

In the UK at least you know that the spiders won't kill you, or even make you ill. The Oz organisation CSIRO really appreciate it if you don't kill the spiders. In fact (I kid you not), it used to be the case that they preferred that you capture them and get them over to the CSIRO so that they can be milked to produce the anti-venom. In their dreams!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're not helping my phobia

As for capturing them - they can go jump in a lake

The point I was trying to make Mike is, spiders are one of the biggest phobias people have in any country, but obvisiously some are dangerous and some are not, so be careful when going/visiting another country.

Your points are very valid on this subject and appreciated

Take care
Old Aug 13th 2004, 1:51 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Anyone know how the children got their visas ? I thought the parents would have to sponsor the children. Thought this would take longer than the 2 weeks the program said it took.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Anyone know how the children got their visas ? I thought the parents would have to sponsor the children. Thought this would take longer than the 2 weeks the program said it took.

Possibly a bit of poetic (television) licence - In theory makes good television. Sorry but the lady of the house annoyed me but again it was probably down to the editing.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice
Exclamation Re: BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

Bix da Boss,

I have to disagree with your "generalisation" of men's attitudes.

Our UK house is sold (subject to contract blah, blah, blah) we are moving over in December. I'm the one lying awake at night thinking "are we doing the right thing", "ill miss this little house" etc. One day I'm feeling really positive about it all, the next it all seems soooo daunting. My wife however, doesnt seem to have a care in the world. I'm sure we will be swapping roles once we have landed!. Im a big softy emotional guy, were not all emotional house bricks you know ( no offence intended).
Old Aug 13th 2004, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 65 million
Bix da Boss,

I have to disagree with your "generalisation" of men's attitudes.

FFS! Why do people take up what I say, when I 'covered' myself very well - all I did say was - it often seems harder for women than for men - in case you don't know it is a well known fact that women are more emotional than men - you must be one of the ones that are 'in touch' with their feelings!

I did not say - men don't worry or have sleepless nights - all I said was they are not as EMOTIONAL as women which is very true!

How many tissues to you go thru watching Titanic?
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:26 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

How many tissues to you go thru watching Titanic? [/QUOTE]

I cried my eyes out watching 'Titanic'. In fact, I needed counselling afterwards. Worst film ever.

Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.