Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC2 8pm, Moving Downunder Type Program

Originally Posted by CON
Very philosophical and I agree with you though it still peevs me a bit to of missed this program it has become a bit of a ritual, you know how it is.
Good luck with your imminent move.
Thanks Con,

i'm a philosophical kinda girl! , easy come, easy go and what will be, will be.

I have enjoyed watching these programmes over the past 18 mths, whilst waiting / planning our move, i've just come to realise that no-ones experience will be the same as mine and i will mwke of it what I want to.

power of the mind and of positive thinking....AND all that.

Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Steandleigh,

PM'd you.
P'Mmming you back!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:07 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Ok.. so watched that on sky+ , finsihed watching it at 930pm, switched over to bbc3 on sky and "Sex Warts and All down Under".... sexually transmitted diseases in Sydney. Pretty Graphic but hey!. Can't say it was valuable advice for those of us with families looking to emigrate but hey it's still about Aus...

(Its repeated at about 0255 if anyone wants to stay up )
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spalen
Ok.. so watched that on sky+ , finsihed watching it at 930pm, switched over to bbc3 on sky and "Sex Warts and All down Under".... sexually transmitted diseases in Sydney. Pretty Graphic but hey!. Can't say it was valuable advice for those of us with families looking to emigrate but hey it's still about Aus...

(Its repeated at about 0255 if anyone wants to stay up )
Think I'll quite happily give that one a miss, but Thanx anyway!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
The woman moaning about missing her family and friends......aren't her husband and children her 'family and friends'?

She should have been content enough and focused enough to accept that she had her best friends with her - what more does a girl need?

The other thing which shocked me was: why live in an extremely expensive city / area, when you obviously can't afford it - cutting your cloth etc, etc.

Stan, I think you are being a bit harsh there girl.

Not everyone has the same resolve and determination or ability to cope.
From the outset this lady did not give the impression moving to Aus was a priority for her and it didn't take a brain surgeon to realise it was going to be a hard slog for her with two young kids - especially if and when hubby went out to work.

Hey, and let's not forget nearly all these programs are severly edited to make sure they make good viewing. That usually means cut out the happy or normal bits. An exception to that is Mrs.Skeggs who obviously never ever stops moaning

If they really do move them as quickly as the show makes out then maybe she also had less time to harden herself mentally for what was to come. all in all though a nice family who made it through at least so far.

I agree with you totally about the locations though. Must be bloody mad.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Bix da Boss you are beginning to annoy me now

Everytime I come on here it's logged in your name and this time I missed it. I'm the only one allowed to call her Stan
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What confused me was they must have been on the visa merrygoround, but didn't realise that the children who came after would need visas. Her heart obviously wasn't in it or they would have gone a lot sooner. Presumably if the programme people hadn't shown up they would never have gone, only having a year left to get there.

I am sure it's going to be hard work emotionally, but not in the first two weeks surely. How could she be ready to go home within 24 hours :scared:

I'd love to know what was edited out though.
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:22 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but what I want to know is...DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THE BLOODY SPIDS IN THEIR BACK YARD???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyb
Yes, but what I want to know is...DID YOU SEE THE SIZE OF THE BLOODY SPIDS IN THEIR BACK YARD???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but it's ok, they're harmless As if that makes any difference. My 11 year old had a panic attack about one that was 2mm big in the bath this morning, and she is not keen on going anyway. Very unimpressed by them :scared:
Old Aug 13th 2004, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Stan, I think you are being a bit harsh there girl.

Not everyone has the same resolve and determination or ability to cope.
From the outset this lady did not give the impression moving to Aus was a priority for her and it didn't take a brain surgeon to realise it was going to be a hard slog for her with two young kids - especially if and when hubby went out to work.

Hey, and let's not forget nearly all these programs are severly edited to make sure they make good viewing. That usually means cut out the happy or normal bits. An exception to that is Mrs.Skeggs who obviously never ever stops moaning

If they really do move them as quickly as the show makes out then maybe she also had less time to harden herself mentally for what was to come. all in all though a nice family who made it through at least so far.

I agree with you totally about the locations though. Must be bloody mad.

I don't mean to be a meany, and yes these progs are edited to make them good viewing.

Yes, they seemed like a very nice family.

Don't agree with the 'had less time to harden herself mentally for what was to come' bit tho'. She's obviously an intelligent woman, graduation photo on her office wall etc and they had, had their visa granted 4 yrs ago,that to me, combined with the fact that she was a bit wobbly about going and leaving their house open to return in the uk spoke volumes to me.

I've got two very small kids too, lifes a slog with them anyway, so no difference there really.

Not trying to be argumentative, just realistic.

Oh, and i don't mind you calling me stan.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 6:44 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Steandleigh - there I got it right

He forgot that bit - had visa granted 4 yrs ago - I do agree with you to a certain degree - especially about small children, they were very close together weren't they, wasn't the oldest only about 18 months and the youngest 9-12 months - thats hard, mine were 2 years apart and that was really hard work!

I was also surprised she became upset so quickly, but I dont think she was not ready to go in the first place and as Bix said, the programme always uses the bits they think will give the best viewing which usually means all the emotional stuff!

As for the spiders, here we go again, they just can't resist it can they!
Scare tactics - they don't want us pommies to go there thats all it is

Didn't like the look of Sydney or the properties on offer in the areas they went, as other people have said on here, you don't get a lot for your money in and around Sydney - typical city life really same as anywhere in the world I suppose - but living in Cornwall can't really judge

No doubt, Bix will reply to you later Steandleigh

da boss
Old Aug 13th 2004, 6:47 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Can't bloody believe this, its done it again, I've just logged in as me Bix da Boss to send this message and shown as Bix - as he says this is getting very annoying
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

You two are starting to confuse me.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yes, but it's ok, they're harmless As if that makes any difference. My 11 year old had a panic attack about one that was 2mm big in the bath this morning, and she is not keen on going anyway. Very unimpressed by them :scared:
I used to live near Manly - just down the road from Dee Why. Those spiders are harmless, but the ones they didn't show, Red Backs (can give a nasty bite) and the Sydney Funnel Webs (which can kill if you don't get the anti-venom) are not harmless - and in plentiful supply - especially in nooks and crannies. My then 7 year-old daughter came across one level with a stairwell a few years back. She had the good sense not to go anywhere near it. She was cool about it, whereas the adults freaked-out.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Aug 13th 2004 at 7:17 am.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
You two are starting to confuse me.

You're confused

I'm getting really p---ed off with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.