Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!

BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!

Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:03 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by rodders39
Jeez... I'm only on 1.539...
Geez, I wish I could get started!
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fraser
Thanks, just paranoid about the broadband as upload counts toward my poor allowance.
Hi mate,

I'd ditch that Bigpoo if your with them. Including upload is just criminal!!! I did to a tune of $270 but it'll be recovered over the year no prob with lower fee from new ISP.

ISP recommended by Hutch - Internode - faultless!! ...

Currently using their 8meg line and just downloaded a 259mb file from Celeb BB and it took about 10 mins with peaks of about 750kb/s ...

Oh and another bit of advice for playing them. We have DivX playing DVD player from Good Guy's and they're about $90. Best bit is it has a USB input which I copy file from PC to USB flash and then plug into DVD player and away you go! ... perfect!!!

We used to use DVD/RW but the USB makes things sooooooo much easier! ...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:26 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!

Not with them mate, I ave 30gb but will change when my contracts up, thanks mate.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - the UKNova Download thread!

Originally Posted by fraser
Not with them mate, I ave 30gb but will change when my contracts up, thanks mate.
No worries.

I've got 40GB a month and has been fine till I upped to the 8meg and now :

14GB is a few days is gonna eat my 40Gb a bit lively!

Extra $39 for extra 40GB ...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:13 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Mine hasn't downloaded anything yet and I set it up about 4 hours ago. How long does it take from initial setup to its first reception of some data?
You should download immediately unless you're a new user in which case there may be a 24/48 hour delay (can't remember this bit exactly...) until you're allowed to download... That time though is from the upload time of the torrent you're trying to collect... So if you're trying to get the last week's WDU stuff that was uploaded yesterday then it makes sense... if that makes sense...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:22 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

If some people download and seed, it should make it quicker for everyone else. Thats how p2p works
Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:26 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
...ISP recommended by Hutch - Internode - faultless!! ... ...
Internode and iiNet do seem to get the best ratings...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 1:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
If some people download and seed, it should make it quicker for everyone else. Thats how p2p works
Everything I download I upload until it expires. I never turn my PC off and it chugs away 24/7. My ratio is 3.2.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

Internode and iiNet do seem to get the best ratings...
Well I've not been with them long admitedly, but so far so good! ...

Can someone tell me, how do you get around your download client wiping out your 'browsing experience' ?

I mean, with the P2P running, browsing the net can be a bit painful at times. I thought this prob would go away with the higher speed, but altho it's better, I still have to kill the P2P if I want to spend some time browsing.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:49 pm
Timelord

Well I've not been with them long admitedly, but so far so good! ...

Can someone tell me, how do you get around your download client wiping out your 'browsing experience' ?

I mean, with the P2P running, browsing the net can be a bit painful at times. I thought this prob would go away with the higher speed, but altho it's better, I still have to kill the P2P if I want to spend some time browsing.
You can try two things... If you've got Azureus then you can download the speed scheduler plugin... This is great in that it let's you decide when you want your torrents to run; so if you're with iiNet, like me, then you get extra allowance for downloads between 2am and midday... Or you can go into the configuration options and limit the download speed to less than the max speed of your pipe... Other than that I would say that p2p stuff is constantly making calls on the cpu so you're going to notice a slow down anyway... also of course the more torrents you've got the more it's working...
Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

You can try two things... If you've got Azureus then you can download the speed scheduler plugin... This is great in that it let's you decide when you want your torrents to run; so if you're with iiNet, like me, then you get extra allowance for downloads between 2am and midday... Or you can go into the configuration options and limit the download speed to less than the max speed of your pipe... Other than that I would say that p2p stuff is constantly making calls on the cpu so you're going to notice a slow down anyway... also of course the more torrents you've got the more it's working...
I use utorrent and can adjust the speeds, but you want max don't you!

I wish the system WOULD use max, but if IE called then it would give it total priority.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:18 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I use utorrent and can adjust the speeds, but you want max don't you!

I wish the system WOULD use max, but if IE called then it would give it total priority.
My speed is 2Megs and my usage limit is 10GB. Can anyone tell me,is that going to be any use to me when I start to download from UKNova?
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:26 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
My speed is 2Megs and my usage limit is 10GB. Can anyone tell me,is that going to be any use to me when I start to download from UKNova?
Sure it is... But it's addictive and I reckon you'll use that pretty quick...
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
You should be okay to download a few programmes a month. Does the 10Gb incluse uploads? If so you should look into upgrading. I have a 40Gb limit (downloads only) and then shaped (slowed down). The 2 times that I have gone over 40Gb I have not noticed any reduction in speed, so I think it's a case of they can reduce the speed but don't.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 12:40 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Other than that I would say that p2p stuff is constantly making calls on the cpu so you're going to notice a slow down anyway... also of course the more torrents you've got the more it's working...
Would it help if one installed more RAM? (Just wondering as I am considering adding more memory to our PC anyway.)

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.