Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:39 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
No. I think I saw a couple of episodes before we moved over. Don't watch much tv, let alone some UK reality shite. I don't get why people do tbh but each to his or her own.
I occasionally watch it because I find it interesting to now that I've made it to "the other side" and now have a different perspective. The show is good fun, it's a good taster for those who are willing to take part and it helps keep the dream alive for those who want to take the plunge but when it comes to costs, exchange rates and earnings it's very distorted. The show needs balance. It needs a panel of BE old gits.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I occasionally watch it because I find it interesting to now that I've made it to "the other side" and now have a different perspective. The show is good fun, it's a good taster for those who are willing to take part and it helps keep the dream alive for those who want to take the plunge but when it comes to costs, exchange rates and earnings it's very distorted. The show needs balance. It needs a panel of BE old gits.
You volunteering??

Seriously I'd write to the BBC and suggest they should include a face-to-face with a Brit family in a similar position who has already made the move.

But then maybe that wouldn't make "good TV" -in their opinion.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 7:40 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
You volunteering??

Seriously I'd write to the BBC and suggest they should include a face-to-face with a Brit family in a similar position who has already made the move.

But then maybe that wouldn't make "good TV" -in their opinion.
Are you calling me an old git?

I can see the Brit family meet up now:

"...It's bollocks!"

"....Yer deluded!"

"....What a con!"

"...Call that a sausage?"
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Where's this on anyway? I've never seen it on Oz TV.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Where's this on anyway? I've never seen it on Oz TV.
It's on the BBC
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

It's on the BBC
That'll explain why I've never seen it then.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:31 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Are you calling me an old git?

I can see the Brit family meet up now:

"...It's bollocks!"

"....Yer deluded!"

"....What a con!"

"...Call that a sausage?"
Ya know...I'm not sure that it would be of much help. Because the Brit family who are already here would not make a public "we made a rash decision and are coping here but only just and I am homesick for my mum and I can't believe how expensive fruit is in winter' statement. They would show that they have made the right decision and initially would be "oh yes, nippers is great for the kids, my son is thriving in this environment, its much safer at night and the 'lifestyle' is wonderful' comments. After a couple of wines though it would turn into "the trouble with ozzies is.....etc etc"
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by paddyo
Ya know...I'm not sure that it would be of much help. Because the Brit family who are already here would not make a public "we made a rash decision and are coping here but only just and I am homesick for my mum and I can't believe how expensive fruit is in winter' statement. They would show that they have made the right decision and initially would be "oh yes, nippers is great for the kids, my son is thriving in this environment, its much safer at night and the 'lifestyle' is wonderful' comments. After a couple of wines though it would turn into "the trouble with ozzies is.....etc etc"
That's an interesting one. I wonder how many of those who are unhappy here tell their families back in the UK that their new lives are wonderful. 'Bet there's quite a few.

I like the before and after a couple of wines comments. Maybe WDU could do both AND shield the BE old gits identities and electronically alter their voices - make them sound more Aussie
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The Perth one this week was pathetic. Budget 500k GBP. Every house they showed the family were over budget!! One was almost 200k GBP over budget!!!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
The Perth one this week was pathetic. Budget 500k GBP. Every house they showed the family were over budget!! One was almost 200k GBP over budget!!!
Crikey- you wouldn't get much more than a caravan for their budget!!!

Oh- just saw it was GBP rather than AUD, but even so, it isn't enough to get anywhere nice in Perf.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

They are not really showing whats out there in my opinion. You could find a decent house in the $400000,s with a pool if you look in the right area,s. They are still out there but you may have to travel further. That might be a lot in pounds but you are not earning pounds and need to think $,s. Just because these people have a budget, which is debatable, why go to the max? Also if one employer in one particular area is not taking on it doesn't mean the same for all.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

We watched one yesterday, a carpenter with his own business here who was talking to a bloke in Australia who told him he could expect to earn $50,000 a year working for someone but could earn up to $180,000 if he had his own business, a figure he seemed to pluck out of the air. The problem is the girl who does the show then said (I cant remember his name) 'should be able to earn £45,000'. How did $50k become £45k? Then they say oh yes we will be £20,000 better off. I love how they show them a house way over their budget and they just say that will be fine if they just get better paid jobs
I know its easy to write it off as harmless but in reality it can be anything but harmless as it creates an unrealistic picture.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

At best I find the programme really unrealistic and frustrating.

People who have never been to Australia but are hoping to go will hang on to every word they say on WDU,I know, I used to do it, I took what they said on there as gospel. Then I went to Australia and did my research and realised Wanted Down Under was a complete load of bollocks!

Why do they show them houses they can't afford? Seriously, what is the point in that? It frustrates me so much as does the ' job' section. Not to mention their relatives all crying on the vid they have to watch! What the hell is that all about, did no one tell them that they are only on holiday and will be back in week!?

Yeah, I'm not a fan! However I did watch yesterday's on catch up TV, as it was in Brisbane. I thought maybe I might learn something I didn't already know, but I didn't and turned off on the relatives bit.

I did feel sorry for the poor bloke on there though, he's been dreaming about going to Australia for ten years and it just wasn't happening for him. :-(
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Many people who dream of living in a 'better' place dont want real facts and figures, they want to see the dream version of reality. They dont want to hear that they will probably be no better off or even worse off, they want to hear that they can go down the beach every day and have more time with their family.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Many people who dream of living in a 'better' place dont want real facts and figures, they want to see the dream version of reality. They dont want to hear that they will probably be no better off or even worse off, they want to hear that they can go down the beach every day and have more time with their family.

That's very true, and I admit for a short time I was once guilty of thinking like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.