Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
My goodness. 1st blog for three years - cant believe the aggression in some of the replies - am going to sign of now as I really did not see this coming. Think that a few of you should take this a bit less seriously and chill -maybe inject a bit of happy time into your replies - do you just sit here an wait for a blog and then rip it to pieces?
Yes Guys - been here 3 years so I know the story - you are not talking to a muppet -am a teacher at an Adelaide High School and my Husband is a Paramedic with the SAAS - so yes we did the show and yes we are settled here in OZ and giving it our best as well as giving our best.

So carry on and slag the show and its people - or maybe say something positive. Unless you ghave been on the show - how can you comment.

Over and out
Not sure what you mean by blog, BE is an open forum and anyone can express their opinions.
We are all aware as long term posters that people who have done the show do post on here, and their opinions are of course welcome too

Having been on BE since the days when people on these programmes were told they could sell their 3 bed semis and emigrate to a 7 bed 25 bathroom mansion and then seen them arrive 2 years later after prices had risen and property become astronomical, I can understand why established migrants run down these shows. In the main they are unrealistic, and often out of date before they hit the air. Some people like yourselves have a success story to tell, which is great, but if you'd been posting on here for longer and seen the number of people who go home because their expectations were unrealistic, you would understand better where we are coming from. Especially as many of those unrealistic expectations have their.roots in shows like this.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:05 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Can I suggest some happy pills - OR MAYBE A LIFE?
I think you'll find he has quite a good one at the moment!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pollyana
............Especially as many of those unrealistic expectations have their roots in shows like this.
Agreed.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find he has quite a good one at the moment!
I do. I look at her everyday and wonder why I ever thought twice about it

Having said that I've just entered a 6 day stage race in Sardinia in April. Gawd bless ya Mrs TB
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:34 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I do. I look at her everyday and wonder why I ever thought twice about it

Having said that I've just entered a 6 day stage race in Sardinia in April. Gawd bless ya Mrs TB
perfect life, you can escape for days at a time!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

perfect life, you can escape for days at a time!
Pretty much. off to Mallorca for a week in Feb as well
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

My goodness. 1st blog for three years - cant believe the aggression in some of the replies - am going to sign of now as I really did not see this coming. Think that a few of you should take this a bit less seriously and chill -maybe inject a bit of happy time into your replies - do you just sit here an wait for a blog and then rip it to pieces?
Yes Guys - been here 3 years so I know the story - you are not talking to a muppet -am a teacher at an Adelaide High School and my Husband is a Paramedic with the SAAS - so yes we did the show and yes we are settled here in OZ and giving it our best as well as giving our best.

So carry on and slag the show and its people - or maybe say something positive. Unless you ghave been on the show - how can you comment.

Over and out
Oh well done guys, this is what I was trying to tell you in my earlier post.

You all carry on like a bunch of school bullies.

People do not appreciate being told that their plans are ridiculous, that property is expensive, jobs are hard to get, that we may have to work hard and that it may not be handed to us on a plate.

We already know this so don't tell us to take off our 'rose tinted glasses' WE GET IT.

Pollyanna, are you a moderator or a ringleader?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

sun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to beholdsun23 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
I will put my money on the ringleader status!!!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:45 pm
Home and Happy

Oh well done guys, this is what I was trying to tell you in my earlier post.

You all carry on like a bunch of school bullies.

People do not appreciate being told that their plans are ridiculous, that property is expensive, jobs are hard to get, that we may have to work hard and that it may not be handed to us on a plate.

We already know this so don't tell us to take off our 'rose tinted glasses' WE GET IT.

Not sure what you mean by that.

if you look at previous threads discussing the show and othes like it I have always jumped in to remind posters that we have participants on the forum. No one is bullying anybody, they are giving their opinions. If you think a post is personally offensive report it then all the other mods - who may not be reading the thread - can decide if action is needed.

No one is ridiculing anyone's plans but those of us who have been around a while have seen people arrive with unrealistic expectations, and we just want to avoid that, Australia isn't paradise, it isn't the land of milk and honey, and we just want people to realise that.

We also all know that these shows are heavily edited to make good tv. We've seen enough of them and spoken to enough of the participants over the years. And for your part as 'entertainers' taking part in te show, you must have realised tgat being on international tv would lead to you being discussed and criticised internationally.

The thought of me ringleading anything on BE these days is laughable as you would realise if you had read more of the forum. I am one of the least popular people around, and as a mod am almost universally hated, so quit the sniping and get back to the discussion.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

The thought of me ringleading anything on BE these days is laughable as you would realise if you had read more of the forum. I am one of the least popular people around, and as a mod am almost universally hated, so quit the sniping and get back to the discussion.
It's only your taste in music that stops us building a bridge out of you
Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:59 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

wow - calm down! Just saying... what you see is not what u get. You watch the programme and you judge. Sorry, but you should not watch if you have that blinkered view. I was making a point given that I was on the show that actually the programme is heavily edited - loosen up please, its a fun thing
jeez...lol...I must admit Triboy that I think mattbenecci was just trying to balance out some of the perceptions!!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The only way you can have more time with your family if you do the same job in Australia is if there are more hours in the day, it just doesnt make sense.
I worked in the office in the UK. I work from home now.

I have loooooads more time with the family... unfortunately.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

I can understand those of us ripping into WDU. I am tempted. But as I said I do not watch such programs any more as they nearly all appear to be edited to provide(in the producers eyes) entertainment. And I think many people are sick to death of it. Unfortunately not the great majority. I tried getting on something similar before we moved to get the family introduced to Australia for free. I think as we had made the descision we were not of interest. I thought then that I would have hated the whole proccess from the start, Who knows. Good luck to anyone who did go on and whatever they may have gotten out of it. It would be nice to see a serious documentary or guidance program some day. But the modern format for docos seems to be aimed at the lowest IQ end of the market. Still suns out, Think I will go outside.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
Aside from the point that most of the wives want to have a pool in the garden and be within walking distance of the best school in the area so that their little sweethearts Sebastian and Tiara can 'grow'

Yes she was a horror, she was totally seduced by the idea (the dream) and not the reality.

SOME people who do these shows really do not fully grasp the fundamentals of living in another country Plus, some of those people are just simply ridiculous and expect too much with unrealistic outcomes.

.................................................. .............................

The above comments are all taken from posts on this thread. They are just a few, they are unkind, uncalled for and down right insulting.

I have not appeared on the show by the way, but I feel for those that have.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

The above comments are all taken from posts on this thread. They are just a few, they are unkind, uncalled for and down right insulting.

I have not appeared on the show by the way, but I feel for those that have.
This is a public forum. Not every post is going to be complimentary and frankly, if they were, it would be as dull as dishwater.

There seems to be an expectation from some posters, that the regulars on here, should just sit around all day and be instantly ready to jump in and offer only encouragement, tell every newbie that Australia is the land of milk and honey, that you can halve yours working hours while doubling your income at the same time.

The site isn't like that, nor should it be. If people think your ideas about migration are dumb, then somebody is going to tell you exactly that... and not always politely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.