Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

So, everyone is basically happy but you are all entitled to a little moan. Well, that's fair enough, nobody can be happy with everything.

However, when others who have in some cases waited years for their visa want a little bit of that happiness its as though you all begrudge them even to have the chance.

I am not Australian by the way, I am the spouse of an Aissie. We will be making the move very soon.

Our reasons for moving,

For a better life? Of course it's for a better life, we wouldn't move to a worse one.

For a bigger house? You bet ya, with a pool even, and yes we can afford it.

Shorter working hours? For me yes, for my partner no, his will be the same

For the kids? In a way yes, they are all grown up now and staying in the UK but they can come to us for some fantastic holidays.

For the weather? Definitely for the weather, had enough cold wet summers to last a life time.

So.......shoot me down

Last edited by australianinleicester; Jan 8th 2014 at 1:08 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
So, everyone is basically happy but you are all entitled to a little moan. Well, that's fair enough, nobody can be happy with everything.

However, when others who have in some cases waited years for their visa want a little bit of that happiness its as though you all begrudge them even to have the chance.

I am not Australian by the way, I am the spouse of an Aissie. We will be making the move very soon.

Our reasons for moving,

For a better life? Of course it's for a better life, we wouldn't move to a worse one.

For a bigger house? You bet ya, with a pool even, and yes we can afford it.

Shorter working hours? For me yes, for my partner no, his will be the same

For the kids? In a way yes, they are all grown up now and staying in the UK but they can come to us for some fantastic holidays.

For the weather? Definitely for the weather, had enough cold wet summers to last a life time.

So.......shoot me down
You seem defensive and negative about other posters. There are plenty of upbeat threads, it depends what you're looking for. No one would argue about not moving for a worse life, but most on here, once they've been in Aus for any time, are aware that it isn't the be all and end all. Many people don't find work, don't find a property they love in an area they love. They find they miss family and that outweighs the positives of living here. Many on the WDU 'appear' (due to editing) to expect a life of milk and honey. The reality is nothing like that and that what people on this thread are pointing out. It's frustrating for some to hear about the better life or the dream because they don't believe it's better, or worse come to that, it's quite often the same. There's an old old saying on here 'same shit, different bucket'.

Don't assume people are trying to rain on your parade or tell you you're wrong, they honestly want you to succeed and be happy but want you to understand the possible problems.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:55 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You seem defensive and negative about other posters. There are plenty of upbeat threads, it depends what you're looking for. No one would argue about not moving for a worse life, but most on here, once they've been in Aus for any time, are aware that it isn't the be all and end all. Many people don't find work, don't find a property they love in an area they love. They find they miss family and that outweighs the positives of living here. Many on the WDU 'appear' (due to editing) to expect a life of milk and honey. The reality is nothing like that and that what people on this thread are pointing out. It's frustrating for some to hear about the better life or the dream because they don't believe it's better, or worse come to that, it's quite often the same. There's an old old saying on here 'same shit, different bucket'.

Don't assume people are trying to rain on your parade or tell you you're wrong, they honestly want you to succeed and be happy but want you to understand the possible problems.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:09 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that bugs me about these shows is when they tell people what they can earn, then tell them this equates to X£. The problem is that if for instance it was when we, moved here about 18 months ago $60,000 would have been around £42,000 whereas now that same $60,000 is more like £32,000 and give it a few months and it will be under 30k. My point is they get told that they will earn £10-20,000 more but it really isnt the case. Its very frustrating when they just cant see the fundamentals.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I watched it out of curiosity more the anything else. I've seen about 2 episodes of the other series. I found the lady pretty hard work and her dramatic reactions seemed rather over the top.

I really didn't understand her sentiments at all. She kept saying how they'd spent more time in the last 3 days in Oz as a family than they had in the previous couple of years. Surely they just needed a holiday to fix that? They obviously found the leave time to do the program so they could have used the same time to go anywhere. That magical family time had nothing to do with Oz and everything to do them needing to commit to some time off.

The guy said that he wouldn't want a role where he couldn't be a PE teacher and a House Master at the same time, then went to the school where the Principal told him they'd only promote to House Master from within. That's exactly what he didn't want and then went back to his wife said everything was OK

They concluded by saying if they made massive cut backs then they could do it, which seems a bit of an odd way to look at things. They did say that they'd rather be poor with the sunshine etc, but I got the distinct impression they were looking for some kind of magic wand that just wasn't there.

They first house looked nice, but freakin' hell those street looked like the very definition of a 'just add water' development to me.
Yes she was a horror, she was totally seduced by the idea (the dream) and not the reality.
The areas they showed them were awful, manufactured suburbs will absolutely no atmosphere.
It comes as no surprise that once they got home and the reality sunk in that they stayed where they were.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes she was a horror, she was totally seduced by the idea (the dream) and not the reality.
The areas they showed them were awful, manufactured suburbs will absolutely no atmosphere.
It comes as no surprise that once they got home and the reality sunk in that they stayed where they were.
Guys - what you have to realise is also that the programme is very heavily edited. We had 10 days of filming for series 5 - only 45 mins on air - so much was taken out of context and fused together. In the end they want to make a TV program at your expense! Real feelings and emotions are in the background - what they want to put on is what you see - so a few of the programmes make the families and certain members look a tad silly - me thinks - Kerry x

Last edited by mattbenecci; Jan 8th 2014 at 4:55 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Guys - what you have to realise is also that the programme is very heavily edited. We had 10 days of filming for series 5 - only 45 mins on air - so much was taken out of context and fused together. In the end they want to make a TV program at your expense! Real feelings and emotions are in the background - what they want to put on is what you see - so a few of the programmes make the families and certain members look a tad silly - me thinks - Kerry x
Please, spare me. Do you really think we need that spelling out Taken out of context, blah blah. What people are comparing is what they see compared to other programs. So it's still a valid comparison because some folks on those programs have a better sense of reality.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Please, spare me. Do you really think we need that spelling out Taken out of context, blah blah. What people are comparing is what they see compared to other programs. So it's still a valid comparison because some folks on those programs have a better sense of reality.
wow - calm down! Just saying... what you see is not what u get. You watch the programme and you judge. Sorry, but you should not watch if you have that blinkered view. I was making a point given that I was on the show that actually the programme is heavily edited - loosen up please, its a fun thing
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:58 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

The thing that bugs me about these shows is when they tell people what they can earn, then tell them this equates to X£. The problem is that if for instance it was when we, moved here about 18 months ago $60,000 would have been around £42,000 whereas now that same $60,000 is more like £32,000 and give it a few months and it will be under 30k. My point is they get told that they will earn £10-20,000 more but it really isnt the case. Its very frustrating when they just cant see the fundamentals.
Nope, WDU costings are for the full local salaries in against local costs out. The house buying bit attempts to convert dollars to pounds but the assumption is people will sell their houses in the UK to buy their Australian ones so it looks like a fair comparison to me. It's hard to see how a TV show could do any better to paint Australia the way that it is in just a 15 min slot per family than WDU does. The elephants in the room are the families with their rosey glasses and fluffed up dreams. And I reckon most of us have been there - with or without WDU

Last edited by paulry; Jan 8th 2014 at 7:01 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

wow - calm down! Just saying... what you see is not what u get. You watch the programme and you judge. Sorry, but you should not watch if you have that blinkered view. I was making a point given that I was on the show that actually the programme is heavily edited - loosen up please, its a fun thing
I am calm, just not stupid.

I don't need telling that the program is heavily edited, same as every other 'reality' program out there. I don't have a 'blinkered view' having lived there for 20 odd years! I think the only blinkers are being worn by the some of the people on the show and their unrealistic expectations before even setting foot in the place.

Your being on the show doesn't give you some magical insight into how tv is edited, we all know it's edited but unless they magically made the people say something that they didn't in post, then I'll stand by my comments.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:11 pm
Banned

Yes I realise things get edited, taken out of context and lets just say exaggerated. The problem is that they distort the facts to such a degree that they make the country seem faultless, it doesnt matter what your situation just look at that sunshine.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:14 pm
Banned

While I agree to a point it is fun the problem is they distort the reality to such a degree that others watching get a totally unrealistic impression.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:14 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I realise things get edited, taken out of context and lets just say exaggerated. The problem is that they distort the facts to such a degree that they make the country seem faultless, it doesnt matter what your situation just look at that sunshine.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

While I agree to a point it is fun the problem is they distort the reality to such a degree that others watching get a totally unrealistic impression.
My goodness. 1st blog for three years - cant believe the aggression in some of the replies - am going to sign of now as I really did not see this coming. Think that a few of you should take this a bit less seriously and chill -maybe inject a bit of happy time into your replies - do you just sit here an wait for a blog and then rip it to pieces?
Yes Guys - been here 3 years so I know the story - you are not talking to a muppet -am a teacher at an Adelaide High School and my Husband is a Paramedic with the SAAS - so yes we did the show and yes we are settled here in OZ and giving it our best as well as giving our best.

So carry on and slag the show and its people - or maybe say something positive. Unless you ghave been on the show - how can you comment.

Over and out
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

I am calm, just not stupid.

I don't need telling that the program is heavily edited, same as every other 'reality' program out there. I don't have a 'blinkered view' having lived there for 20 odd years! I think the only blinkers are being worn by the some of the people on the show and their unrealistic expectations before even setting foot in the place.

Your being on the show doesn't give you some magical insight into how tv is edited, we all know it's edited but unless they magically made the people say something that they didn't in post, then I'll stand by my comments.
Can I suggest some happy pills - OR MAYBE A LIFE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.