Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:20 pm
CDT
Forum Regular

CDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really niceCDT is just really nice
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by legion11
HI ALL,

got a question for anyone who took part in WDU.

the impression I've got from the program is that it wasn't a totally free jolly from the BBC.
can u tell me if you had to fork out any money yourself living expenses etc?

i only ask because 1 of the shows ( cant remember which 1 )
they forgot to book a hire car & had to fork out the cash upon arrival to hire one,
i'd of thought the BBC would have sorted all that out for you.

thanks

I thought I`d seen reference to this somewhere and just found it again, on the WDU thread on the Pomsinperth website.

Basically looks like the BBC messed up!

"The airport filming was false as they forgot to arrange transport and the week we were there was the Telstra car rally and all the hired cars were booked at the airport and in the city, we wernt the only ones stranded,not as it looked on tv, and the bbc payed for the taxi not me.
TV HEY."

CHRIS & JUD

http://www.pomsinperth.com/discussio...10074&start=43

Not sure if these folks post on here.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
what part of writing back do you not understand,..
Well when you accused me of being racist, I simply had no other option than to respond!
Thought you'd wasted too much energy on me?
Understood just about everything you posted! Some of it was beyond comprehension, as i do not view life like you do, nor would I want to!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
So you admit there is a "problem" with open-door immigration, but you want to bury your head in the sand and blame the messanger like me.
There are issues yes, can't recall blaming you for anything, stated you don't have the answer either!
And as for not having any answers, what about not letting the Poles have access to our labour markets like the other EU established countries. How about not voting Labour in 97,01 or 05 as I didn't. Maybe leaving the EU may not be such a bad prospect (I seem to remember when we were in the ERM and only the "cranks" said we should get out and when we were forced out it was the best thing that ever happened to our economy).
So I take it you have a time machine? Go back and change the past then! Sorry but I can deal with the hear and no and have learnt from past mistakes, but can't change the past. I don't blame areas of the population as what is the point, it gains nothing, well as stated apart from creating racial tension and marginalising sections of society!

As I said in the above post most of the Poles who come here aren't highly skilled eg doctors, accountants etc, many undertake menial work like warehouse/factory.
I can recall not too long ago, employers complaining that no-one was take low paid "menial jobs".
Now lots of employers are actually praising the work ethic of the Eastern Europeans. Some employers are obviously exploiting them! I suppose it's their fault they are being exploited in your eyes?

Where have I said that I am emigrating?

Fancy admitting that you studied Sociology - says it all.
Why bother coming on here if you have no intention of doing anything other than supporting others racist views? Or maybe you're just another passing troll, who's reinvented his/her user name?

Says what exactly, I have A level Sociology and you don't? Or does me having studied Sociology make you think in some way you're superior to myself? Or do you think that someone who's done Sociology is thus a Liberal?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:11 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
...Why bother coming on here if you have no intention of doing anything other than supporting others racist views? Or maybe you're just another passing troll, who's reinvented his/her user name?...
Nailed it...

K
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

So much agression in this thread
Old Feb 5th 2007, 1:25 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the 3rd episode, do carpet fitters really get paid that well in Brisbane , I'm in the wrong job

Watching the program it seem the British people have a really low option of the UK
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:15 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

i know the episode with the carpet fitters had me thinking my god they get paid that much my oh gasfitter plumber and everyone keeps telling me that there desperate for plumbers in queensland he will get a job easily etc but wonder what he will end up on it doesnt look like he will get as much as a carpet fitter seems to earn im amazed
lesley
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:18 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
i know the episode with the carpet fitters had me thinking my god they get paid that much my oh gasfitter plumber and everyone keeps telling me that there desperate for plumbers in queensland he will get a job easily etc but wonder what he will end up on it doesnt look like he will get as much as a carpet fitter seems to earn im amazed
lesley
I wouldn't believe a word they say on that programme. I was watching it today and they were saying a supermarket shop was half the price. I'd say a supermarket shop was cheaper in the UK
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:29 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
I wouldn't believe a word they say on that programme. I was watching it today and they were saying a supermarket shop was half the price. I'd say a supermarket shop was cheaper in the UK
I totally agree, I found it much cheaper to do a weekly shop back home and that was with the wine & beer. You can't buy alcohol in the supermarkets here, which is a real pain.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:36 am

you cant buy alcohol in supermarkets my god you mean you have to go to a seperate shop for wine. wonder why that is?
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:39 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

you cant buy alcohol in supermarkets my god you mean you have to go to a seperate shop for wine. wonder why that is?
Well not here in Perth you can't. Some of the supermarkets have their own bottle shops on the side, but it means you still have to pay for your groceries at the checkout, then push your loaded trolley into the bottle shop and queue up again. I found it a right pain in the ar*e when we first came, still do sometimes to be honest.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Well not here in Perth you can't. Some of the supermarkets have their own bottle shops on the side, but it means you still have to pay for your groceries at the checkout, then push your loaded trolley into the bottle shop and queue up again. I found it a right pain in the ar*e when we first came, still do sometimes to be honest.
Same in Qld, you have to go elsewhere for anything with alcohol in it. Trying to move a loaded trolley round a small bottle shop is a right pain. Even The Bloke, brought up shopping the Qld way, prefers the UK system of buying it all in one go.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Same in Qld, you have to go elsewhere for anything with alcohol in it. Trying to move a loaded trolley round a small bottle shop is a right pain. Even The Bloke, brought up shopping the Qld way, prefers the UK system of buying it all in one go.
oh dear looks like i will be bulk buying my wine then do they do home delivery like here perhaps?
lesley
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:25 am
'In limboland'

oh dear looks like i will be bulk buying my wine then do they do home delivery like here perhaps?
lesley
Do you mean if you order off the internet? I know they do grocery deliveries, but I've never heard of deliveries from the bottle shops. I don't even bother with Woolies bottle shop now, far too small to get a trolley round without bumping into every shelf and box they stack in your way. I go to a separate bottle shop like Liquorland, or ask the o/h to stop if he's passing one on his travels. Still a pain though, much preferred getting it altogether in Tesco etc.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 8:30 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I found it a little misleading on house prices and stuff like that.
Is Cleavland a village and is the average plot 1/4 of an acre

Originally Posted by fraser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.