Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
how long has your oh been doing it,a longwhile i guess? to build up rep.My husband has been speaking to alot of selfemployed carpenters they are not busy here at all. and yes there are jobs employed but hubby will not work for what they offer.SUNSEAKERS offer start of £7.50ph can get more in macdonnalds...if you got no poles there yet, dont worry they will work their way up to you, if got so much work why give it up to move what if you dont do as well there.?
Still saying you haven't got an issue with Polish people?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I always find people who complain about immigrants amusing as they plan of becoming one themselves.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by northernbird
I always find people who complain about immigrants amusing as they plan of becoming one themselves.
Yes does seem strange that in the UK, Polish people move here to "steal our jobs" yet people move to Australia to work hard and have a good lifestyle!

But some people just don't see it! Anyways better get back on topic, had my rant.

Missed WDU all last week, just about and very glad I did , will hopefully miss the repeats when they are shown on some obscure digital channel!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

"Immigrants stealing jobs", does it not cross the minds of those with that mindset that many aussies will view the english immigrant as a person stealing their jobs. Mass immigration has caused a downturn in rates here too, and not all immigrants find work in the trades, plenty have had to take work as salesmen, cleaning work, immigration brings the same issues here as well.

Wages for chippies in this thread started out as pretty much the same in both countries, now the immigrant chippies to aus without a licence can earn $43 an hour and chippies in the UK are now on 5 quid thats $12.50 an hour. Just an example of how aus can get talked up while UK gets run down, hardly reality tho is it!

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 3rd 2007 at 11:45 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 4:38 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
my hubby would be happy just to have a rowing boat!
That's not as daft as you might think. Plenty of people here have what are commonly known as 'tinnies'. They are little aluminium boats and most people we know use them for fishing. You can pick them up pretty cheap too. So there you go, you might even be the proud owner of a 'tinnie'(boat).
Old Feb 4th 2007, 4:40 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, Mods hat firmly on head. Please try and keep the personal sniping out of the forum, and try and keep this thread on topic. Its an on-going show, and I don't want to have to stop the discussion. The programme can be discussed from both viewpoints - those who have not lived here yet, AND those of us that are living the life for real. Lets try and keep it balanced,and related to the programme.
If you want to discuss other stuff, like plumbers wages, or why some of us would love to move back to the UK (and the reasons why we can't just pack up and go) then please start another thread.

Thanks

This message was authorised by the British Expats Govt, USA.

(tongue in cheek swipe at Aussie kr*p TV there for those of you still in the UK and therefore confused )
Was that spoken at 60 words per minute or 80 Polly? Just thought I'd ask.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:17 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
That's not as daft as you might think. Plenty of people here have what are commonly known as 'tinnies'. They are little aluminium boats and most people we know use them for fishing. You can pick them up pretty cheap too. So there you go, you might even be the proud owner of a 'tinnie'(boat).

.....will look forward to that then!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:55 am
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

You are wrong (in an earlier post) when u say Blair could do nothing to stop Polish immigrants working here, as nearly all other established EU countries stopped them having access to their labour markets except us.

May I remind u that when Poland, Lithuania etc joined the EU Blair said only 13,000 would arrive each year. In the 2 years since, over 600,000 (instead of 26,000) of them have made their way to these shores mainly as unskilled workers of which there is no lack of supply amongst our own pop'n.

Because of an unlimited supply of cheap imported labour this country has on tap, it knocks the bottom end out of the labour market making wages low for the working classes. In my local jobcentre worthwhile and semi-skilled jobs now pay the nat min wage.

And with so many immigrant workers all in need of a roof over their heads makes a strong upward pressure on the property market, causing higher prices and less available housing stock, thereby adversely affecting the working classes most.

Upward pressure on property prices and downward pressure on wages. In other words the rich (employers and management) get richer and the poor get poorer.

And to say u have no problem with immigrants coming as long as they work hard and pay taxes shows a naivety towards our environment and infrastructure. As well as the detrimental effect on housing, our roads become more clogged-up, schools get overcrowded and further strains are imposed on our NHS.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Assegai
You are wrong (in an earlier post) when u say Blair could do nothing to stop Polish immigrants working here, as nearly all other established EU countries stopped them having access to their labour markets except us.

May I remind u that when Poland, Lithuania etc joined the EU Blair said only 13,000 would arrive each year. In the 2 years since, over 600,000 (instead of 26,000) of them have made their way to these shores mainly as unskilled workers of which there is no lack of supply amongst our own pop'n.

Because of an unlimited supply of cheap imported labour this country has on tap, it knocks the bottom end out of the labour market making wages low for the working classes. In my local jobcentre worthwhile and semi-skilled jobs now pay the nat min wage.

And with so many immigrant workers all in need of a roof over their heads makes a strong upward pressure on the property market, causing higher prices and less available housing stock, thereby adversely affecting the working classes most.

Upward pressure on property prices and downward pressure on wages. In other words the rich (employers and management) get richer and the poor get poorer.

And to say u have no problem with immigrants coming as long as they work hard and pay taxes shows a naivety towards our environment and infrastructure. As well as the detrimental effect on housing, our roads become more clogged-up, schools get overcrowded and further strains are imposed on our NHS.

Am very much aware of the issues you've raised, but I'm glad to see you don't have the answers either, just the ability to point out the problem. There is also an issue with highly training skilled people leaving the country, I take it this won't stop you?
Sorry but I don't like the issue of blaming a group of people for any countries problems, was not so long ago it was the blacks, now it's the eastern europeans. A blame culture does not deal with the issue it brings in other issues, such as racial tension. If you really look for a group to blame look at the employers!

Oh and final note show me a time when statistically the rich haven't got richer and the poor poorer (have done Sociology so don't need a lecture on it )
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Am very much aware of the issues you've raised, but I'm glad to see you don't have the answers either, just the ability to point out the problem. There is also an issue with highly training skilled people leaving the country, I take it this won't stop you?
Sorry but I don't like the issue of blaming a group of people for any countries problems, was not so long ago it was the blacks, now it's the eastern europeans. A blame culture does not deal with the issue it brings in other issues, such as racial tension. If you really look for a group to blame look at the employers!

Oh and final note show me a time when statistically the rich haven't got richer and the poor poorer (have done Sociology so don't need a lecture on it )
Very good post. I don't think blaming any migrant is a good idea. The government is the problem.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 10:47 am
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

So you admit there is a "problem" with open-door immigration, but you want to bury your head in the sand and blame the messanger like me.

And as for not having any answers, what about not letting the Poles have access to our labour markets like the other EU established countries. How about not voting Labour in 97,01 or 05 as I didn't. Maybe leaving the EU may not be such a bad prospect (I seem to remember when we were in the ERM and only the "cranks" said we should get out and when we were forced out it was the best thing that ever happened to our economy).

As I said in the above post most of the Poles who come here aren't highly skilled eg doctors, accountants etc, many undertake menial work like warehouse/factory.

Where have I said that I am emigrating?

Fancy admitting that you studied Sociology - says it all.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:12 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

I asked how extensive your knowledge of living around the UK is! Where I live is lovely, wealth does not make a place nice to be in. You simply misunderstand reasoned replies!

To quote myself "Your Mother is Yugoslavian is she not one of those who've stolen all the £5 an hour jobs?"
Why on earth are you taking offence? I did not say she had stolen anything, you brought the issue of immigrants stealing jobs not me! I don't have any issues with immigrants I appreciate that I live in a World where people can move and ply their trade in other countries to better themselves. You seem to have issues with immigrants who you deem as steaing "our" jobs. This is a very hypocritical view for you to take!

You stated that immigrants (named Polish in this) are stealing our jobs and worked for £5 an hour. Just to remind you ----Originally Posted by graciebluecat ,"all the polish have been aloud in and they work for £5 per hour,have taken all our jobs"
Really cheap shot using your mother is dead god knows why you're trying that one!
Polish workers are entitled to work in UK nothing Tony Blair can do to stop it! Unless he decided to take UK out of Europe, which just ain't going to happen!

Sorry but your lack understanding has shown it's self as very apparent, as you've really distorted things.
I love living in UK and will also Australia, I will always be better of than you as I appreciate my life more than you do. I will one day move to Australia, won't affect you in any way! Hopefully everyone will be nice to you in Aus.
I do not have an issue with whomever wishes to live in the UK, as long as they abide by the laws and pay their taxes good on em! As one day I hope to "steal some Australians job" or maybe it'll be my job because I got it through impressing at an interview or being the best qualified or the one who will work for the least amount of cash!
As I said I hope you love Australia as you seem as though your world will end if it doesn't work out for you!
Had to reply as don't like having it implied that I'm a racist, simply as you don't understand written text very well!

what part of writing back do you not understand,..

Last edited by graciebluecat; Feb 4th 2007 at 11:45 am.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:23 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

So you admit there is a "problem" with open-door immigration, but you want to bury your head in the sand and blame the messanger like me.

And as for not having any answers, what about not letting the Poles have access to our labour markets like the other EU established countries. How about not voting Labour in 97,01 or 05 as I didn't. Maybe leaving the EU may not be such a bad prospect (I seem to remember when we were in the ERM and only the "cranks" said we should get out and when we were forced out it was the best thing that ever happened to our economy).

As I said in the above post most of the Poles who come here aren't highly skilled eg doctors, accountants etc, many undertake menial work like warehouse/factory.

Where have I said that I am emigrating?

Fancy admitting that you studied Sociology - says it all.
here here ....!!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 11:40 am
Banned

you are so very very right.

Also these stick up for polish rights people.... state i am going to be a immigrant in oz, and i am moaning about immigrants here...(hypocrite so to speak)...absoluley not

hello hello .there is a huge difference.....we do not need 600,000 polish here..we are far too over populated like you say.......too much strain on our economy.Inoticed a job add in the paper saying techers required one must bepolish speaking....this shows the influx polish kids.We already over populatedatour schools,there arewaitinglists for our own kids let alone more!!!....

however isnt it said, australia is crying out for migrants as there is a shortage of skilled workers,......oz needs people we dont. here in th uk and maybe if they didnt come over in hurds my husband might be ok with work on a decent wage......little do they know hey..enough on them they are just ignorant........do you have an idea on where tomorrows wdu is ??????comp buttons gettingstuck hence spaces not in the post(sorry)

Last edited by graciebluecat; Feb 4th 2007 at 11:55 am.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleyhunter79
what gets me is that most of us ie (ordinairy joes) would be happy after all the paperwork and the final you have your visa to have a nice normal house nothing too flash a pool would be nice but they seemed to expect the lot and when shown house for loads of money werent impressed but still choose oz
They seemed pretty ordinary to me. They just aspire to a lot. Nothing wrong with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.