Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Phil & Chele
I would be interested in seeing !! Thanks
Any advice on where I could host it? It was 1 hour long so I could rip it to a 350MB Divx.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gidxg03
Any advice on where I could host it? It was 1 hour long so I could rip it to a 350MB Divx.
No sorry...wouldn't know where to start !!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
I have to agree, it could have been done a lot better. I live in Ireland and they are showing a programme here called The Great Escape on RTE which shows families which are leaving Ireland for other countries. Last week they followed a family moving from Dublin to Brisbane, and I thought it was very good. They followed the family for almost a year, leaving Ireland and starting work and finding a house in the Brisbane suburbs. It was a much more positive show to watch. A bit like A New Life Downunder, without all the arguing

Dolly
I agree Dolly, they showed a lot of interesting stuff. Granted they had a lot of cash going, but their positive attitude was a refreshing change.

Although the girl that went over was saying how hard it must be for people with no family to go to, her sister (who has lived there for about 8 years) disagreed.

That house they ended up with was fab, but a bit too rural for me

I can see a mass exodus from Ireland on the cards
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:10 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

What I am wondering is........ will any of the WDU programmes show a family that opt to stay in the UK? I think at least half the families that I have watched on the programmes should stay here. But who am I to judge, I'm not in their shoes!

jackie
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and just a quick thing about WDU today ... why on earth would you use Fish'n'Chips as a big factor in making your decision?!! Make yer own
They did seem like a nice family tho, very calm considering they have 3 young uns and 1 on the way.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Haven't seen todays show yet, but some of the best fish and chips I ever had were in a shop near Kensington in Melbourne, they were LOVELY.

Of course they aren't showing Melbourne.

Dolly
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:17 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

The family (judy finnigan looky likey) that went to NSW. She voted house and job better in UK, but overall voted for Oz????? They are 2 of the biggest deciding factors. I really thought they would vote to stay in UK. Oh and what was all the dancing about in the kitchen?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:24 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graciebluecat

There is no oz syndrome on my post,

Its an honest view of britain today,I do not think or have the oz wonderful syndrome either alot of people do i know.Everwhere has its fair share of crime & poverty, same as here, things dont always go to plan.In oz you got Deadley insects sharks bla bla bla....but ..there are pro's and cons to everything but in my box not alot of cons but deffo pros to go to oz...but and a big but

too many whinging poms give us a bad name,that is well known.I remember going to greece on holiday seeing footie fans with their proud to be british kit on spending everyday watching footie in the bars,not seeing the beach ot visiting the sights, not mingling with the greks just pissing it up and footie.....why go to greece!!!!!......people like that should stay here in the uk not emigrate.....
Were you with these footie fans day and night? How do you know they were't checking out the sites, it's a very general statement you have made in your post. It's there holiday let them spend their time and money as they wish. And yep there are bound to be the odd numptys who cause problems when drunk but not the majority of Brit holiday makers.

If they're proud of wearing their national footie kit then surely we should be encouraging that as they are being patriotic to their country which is their choice? Other cultures do the same why can't we? I've been to Greece with my other half while two footie tournaments were on, and yep we ended up in the bars, as well as the Italians, Dutch, Germans AND GREEKS who were also cheering the games on.

And if they emigrate and still choose to wear the footie shirt of their place of birth should they be shot down in flames for that?

I had to reply to your post as I wanted to get that off my chest, I do find some posters tend to generalise a race of people due to rubbish they may have read in the papers or seen on the tele.

Oh and WDU, what a pile of poo. The links and repetition that woman does are enough to put people off. Have you noticed how some of her links to camera are generic, for example she sometimes says "our family have to make the hardest decision of all" rather than name the family and then that sequence is shown over again in another episode, and the one when she is on the ferry when she throws her arms to the side when she goes on about better housing and better weather, she's awful. (my opinion)

This site is more entertaining, especially when the bitching starts
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:10 pm
Living the Dream!

Yeah I don't think I'd like a close up shot of my face on a ferry!
That camera is way too close!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

lebones is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Hi all.
I have been watching the WDU programme.
I would firstly like to say "good on ya" t o all that took part in the series.
I spent 23 years in Oz, i went out in 1969, a single bloke, i went with a mate.
He went back to the UK after 2 years, he was homesick.Unless you have gone through it , it is the most distressing emotion you will ever experience.
I got pangs of it over the years, sometimes it was unbearable but i got over it.
I got married over there in Melbourne,we had 2 boys, but we got divorced after 15 years.
I now live in France after moving back to the UK in the mid 90s.
I digress, all i want to say is,utopia has not been found yet and you wont find it in Oz, you will still have to get up for work, you will still get bills in the post,you will still have all the general worries that go with bringing up a family.
BUT,there is not a better country in the world to do it,so if you are thinking about it ,give it a go ,you will love it im sure.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

I recorded the show to DVD for my mother. If there is enough interest, and if it's not too difficult to do, I'll rip the DVD and upload it to the internet for expats.com members.[/QUOTE]

i'd love to see it, i'm in the north of ireland and we get RTE but i wasnt aware the programme was on. was in spain last week anyway so probably would have missed it.

cheers! Lynn
Old Jan 31st 2007, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

monkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond reputemonkeypeaches has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the first few then got a bit bored as it was so repetitive. I also watched the one about the family from Bournemouth with no house to sell who decided not to move to Perth (interesting to us as we are off to Perth with no money whatsoever).

I watched it today, and it was more of the same. The families all seem lovely but there's hardly anything to differentiate between them (from the eps I've seen), and it doesn't really warrant 20 programmes.

As for fish and chips - I find it a million times better in Australia!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

charb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant futurecharb has a brilliant future

I thought todays family came across the best so far - out of the episodes I have watched anway. They seemed so down to earth & friendly, and the 'dad' summed it all up for me. When after watching the family messages, he said he needs to put 'his' family first, & do what he thinks is best for them, & not to worry about everyone else. Spot on & well said IMO.

How gorgeous were the kids!? Does anyone know if they have been on this site? I would love to know how they are getting on/how far through the process they are.

BTW, Dollydaydream2, I agree it's cr@p they're not showing Melbourne, but TBH, I would probably sit here & cry for the whole 45 minutes! So it's just as well really! (As my parents & sister are out there!)
Old Jan 31st 2007, 2:14 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

It's absolute PANTS that they haven't featured Melbourne for the entire proramme. I mean - how much research did they actually do before they realised they'd forgotten a CITY for G's sake?
I for one would have loved for it to be shown just for the sake of our rellies being able to see exactly what we were hoping to go out to, and what THEY had to look forwards to on visits.

*pearly*
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:20 pm
Mmmm what to do!!

katherineiv is an unknown quantity at this point

Been watching show and thought today was good, couldnt believe it..... machanic, American car and in Adelaide all the same as us and where we want to go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.