Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by dancingd1970
Hi every one

I'm new to this site, its always been a dream of mine to move to Australia, and I was wondering if any one has been watching wanted down under, I just want to know if anyone knows where the family from the 16 jan 2007 episode visited in Perth because I can't remember and it looked really nice, and I can't think where the suburb was.

Thank You
dancingd1970
Welcome

The programme on Tuesday featured Perth and the family visited Connolly and looked at a house there. They also looked at Iluca (sp?).

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Karen
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:29 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Welcome

The programme on Tuesday featured Perth and the family visited Connolly and looked at a house there. They also looked at Iluca (sp?).

Hope this helps.

Best regards
Karen
A week in Australia is not long enough to make a life changing decision......finding it pretty boring really and i am only watching it because it is about Austalia
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone know if the family decided where they wanted to 'try out' or if the BBC decided where to send them?? Its just that from a comment made by Nadia Swalia, it sounded to me like the BBC decided, which seemed a little strange to me

The reason for my question is that the couple today will have very little equity to bring out and, although they are only '2' at the moment they are hoping to start a family - it just seems that because they went to Sydney which is very expensive they would be struggling whereas if they went to another state they could afford so much more.

Refarding the programme - it would help if they told us roughly how much money these people intended to emigrate with - they tell us how much their houses in the UK are worth but that doesn't mean anything in relation to how big or small a mortgage they'd have in Oz.

Still enjoying watching the prog but, then again, I am totally addicted to watching anything about Aus, no matter how naff the programme is!!!!

K x
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK. Cut out the offensive, racist and personal remarks and I won't close the thread. carry on like this and the result will be inevitable. Its your choice, you've been warned.
Originally Posted by winnut
I don't know what you lot are talking about I must have been watching a different programme............
Not sure which bit of the warning above you didn't understand, it seems pretty clear to me. Shame your first and last post was an insulting one.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:04 pm
u only get 1 shot

B@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by uksniper
A very well written, grown up post. Well done and thanks for taking the time to write it.
Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Does anyone know if the family decided where they wanted to 'try out' or if the BBC decided where to send them?? Its just that from a comment made by Nadia Swalia, it sounded to me like the BBC decided, which seemed a little strange to me

The reason for my question is that the couple today will have very little equity to bring out and, although they are only '2' at the moment they are hoping to start a family - it just seems that because they went to Sydney which is very expensive they would be struggling whereas if they went to another state they could afford so much more.

Refarding the programme - it would help if they told us roughly how much money these people intended to emigrate with - they tell us how much their houses in the UK are worth but that doesn't mean anything in relation to how big or small a mortgage they'd have in Oz.

Still enjoying watching the prog but, then again, I am totally addicted to watching anything about Aus, no matter how naff the programme is!!!!

K x

1, Yes we were able to choose our location. With a backup destination just in case.
This is in no way aimed at today’s couple personally, as I have had firsthand experience of how the show can give others the wrong persona.
2, The show gave off the impression this couple, did if any homework / ground work on the whole aspect of moving to the other side of the world, more like “bloke down the pub said” I can’t believe for one minute if you are going to give up your life in the UK (and your beloved pet dog hummmmm). You don’t first do the ground work. I would think this couple are in the very early stage of their migration process and hoping they might broaden their horizons and look at another state to live in before making a decision.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B@lDeR$
1, Yes we were able to choose our location. With a backup destination just in case.
This is in no way aimed at today’s couple personally, as I have had firsthand experience of how the show can give others the wrong persona.
2, The show gave off the impression this couple, did if any homework / ground work on the whole aspect of moving to the other side of the world, more like “bloke down the pub said” I can’t believe for one minute if you are going to give up your life in the UK (and your beloved pet dog hummmmm). You don’t first do the ground work. I would think this couple are in the very early stage of their migration process and hoping they might broaden their horizons and look at another state to live in before making a decision.
Thanks for clarification on that Paul.

I have to say I was a little perplexed as to how the Yorkshire lass could even contemplate leaving her beloved dog behind when she came across as being such a huge dog lover she even looked into a business involving grooming them! BUT as you say, these shows' editing people can make the most innocent of comments into something much less so

Karen & Co
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:45 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only one who thinks these programmes are trying to put people off going?
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by possoms
Am I the only one who thinks these programmes are trying to put people off going?

Personally i think that i am getting to appreciate them more and that taken as a whole they paint a pretty realistic picture of Aus... i don't think they are designed to put people off but do show some issues people tend to neglect.. bad weather sometimes, annoying flies, pokey homes in Sydney etc.. i have even mangaed to tolerate Nadias annoying voice, something a thought i wouldn't be able to do after the first one!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

hi all,
I've watched "Wanted Down Under", this week and probably like everyone watching it, you can take out of it what you can.
Todays show was probably best for us as we went to the Gold Coast for a recci last January- February, we've since had a beautiful baby daughter who's 6 weeks old, so it's now time to start the ball rolling on the application front.
It was nice to see Burleigh Heads on the show as we spent some time there and could side with the good reports it was getting.
While we were on the recci last year(seems like yesterday) we had a BE meet at Burleigh Heads Surf Club where we got to speak to various expats with some interesting experiences.
I'm a bricklayer, and after speaking to JJLFamily they told me if i wanted to work self-employed, i'd have to go to college for upto 3 month to get their qualifacations, as they don't recognise City & Guilds.
It's interesting to see that on Wanted Down Under they don't discuss such issues. Maybes they think everyone will be happy to work for an employer.
Another thing i was thinking while watching it was, when you first go to live in Oz i thought you had to wait 2 years before you could buy an older house, so you had to buy brand new. Or has the rule changed ?
I just can't wait to get everything started and give our baby girl, and 2 sons the chance to live a life worth living.

Steve.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:52 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Having watched all five programmes this week and read what it says on the Radio Times web site about the next five programmes, I was wondering whether the BBC deliberately chose couples/families where one adult wants to go and the other one is "reluctant" (a word used by the BBC)?

And did anyone else spot that on today's programme Nadia Sawalha clearly has no idea that Queensland is a state rather than a city/town? She talked about how the family will be visiting Brisbane and how the BBC booked them accommodation in "nearby Queensland".

Gina
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:56 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazza
Another thing i was thinking while watching it was, when you first go to live in Oz i thought you had to wait 2 years before you could buy an older house, so you had to buy brand new. Or has the rule changed ?
If you're coming out on a visa with permanent residency (like the skilled independent visa 136) you can buy whatever kind of house you like, old or new, there are no restrictions.

But if you're coming out on a temporary visa (like the 457), you either buy a brand new house, or if you want to buy an older house you need FIRBs approval first.

Gina
Old Jan 19th 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If you're coming out on a visa with permanent residency (like the skilled independent visa 136) you can buy whatever kind of house you like, old or new, there are no restrictions.

But if you're coming out on a temporary visa (like the 457), you either buy a brand new house, or if you want to buy an older house you need FIRBs approval first.

Gina
Thanks for that Gina.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Given that my OH is still unsure over all this emigration lark I was worried that the programmes would give him ample reasons NOT to make that ultimate final decision

However, what I've found is that because the programmes give an insight into how each family member feels about every aspect of the move AND even when you're absolutely certain that one or more of the family members are going to vote against going but so far haven't (I haven't seen todays show yet), a lot of hubby's reservations seem to be deminishing So far so good and long may it last!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
Having watched all five programmes this week and read what it says on the Radio Times web site about the next five programmes, I was wondering whether the BBC deliberately chose couples/families where one adult wants to go and the other one is "reluctant" (a word used by the BBC)?

And did anyone else spot that on today's programme Nadia Sawalha clearly has no idea that Queensland is a state rather than a city/town? She talked about how the family will be visiting Brisbane and how the BBC booked them accommodation in "nearby Queensland".

Gina

When they advertised for people to go on the programme they were specifically after people who were in the early stages of the immigration process, who had ideally never been to Aus and who had reservations.
We had an email about it via our agent.

My mum watched it for the first time this morning and having been very supportive through out the whole process, phoned me in tears after seeing the reactions of family and friends of todays couple, saying 'are you sure you know what you are doing?' Took plenty of talking to reassure her!

Nicky x
Old Jan 19th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Hi everyone!

Just spent the best part of an hour reading this entire thread Anyway, I managed to catch todays programme as I was at home with a sick little girl (who has just thrown up all over my living room floor!). We are hoping to go to the gold Coast and I would love for my husband to see these programmes too. Does anyone know if they are repeated on .... say BBC3, or the likes?

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.