Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by Paul-N-Deb
Thanx Ozzy
I think my opinion was misinterpreted what i was trying to say is that is it not our duty as parents to do what we think is right for our children whether they agree or not.
Wasn't misinterpreted, I said I wouldn't want to be in your position, where kids are fighting a move! Your decisions not mine you have to live with outcomes not me
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Libby1971 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by deryans
my wife and I were absolutely gobsmacked about the family who chose to live in the south Adelaide burb of Renylla East as opposed to Bris Vegas and the gold coast.........

mind you , can't swim in either at certain times of the year, but South Adelaide ??? what on earth were they thinking ?

The lady does watch and post.

We were thinking that we wanted what was best for us as a family actually.

Brisbane is great but incredibly humid. My youngest had severe eczema as a baby and had, at the time of filming, had it under control for the first time in her life. The climate in Brisbane would have triggered it again and having a good beach is not sufficient cause IMO to put a child through that.

Plus Brisbane feels like a big city, which is exactly what it is. Great if you like that sort of thing but we don't. We like Adelaide and it's fine for now, but that doesn't mean we have to stay here for ever. Our preferred option at the time of filming series 1 was Melbourne but the BBC weren't going there. Oh and we didn't choose to go to Brisbane either. We got selected for the show and then they told us the places they were going. The only one that fit in with school holidays was Brisbane.

The beaches in SA are lovely by the way. I am not exactly living in a backwater here.

Libby
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

very surprised that "teachers" who are in demand would choose that.

We went to some expos in the UK and were told that Adelaide had much to offer in terms of employment in schools. We thought this was reliable information given that the state sponsored visa was also sponsoring teachers (high school and primary school).

Hubbie has a perm job, I don't as yet.

We like a slower pace of life and Adelaide offers that.

Not sure why you've put teachers in commas, though.

Libby
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Libby1971
The lady does watch and post.

We were thinking that we wanted what was best for us as a family actually.

Brisbane is great but incredibly humid. My youngest had severe eczema as a baby and had, at the time of filming, had it under control for the first time in her life. The climate in Brisbane would have triggered it again and having a good beach is not sufficient cause IMO to put a child through that.

Plus Brisbane feels like a big city, which is exactly what it is. Great if you like that sort of thing but we don't. We like Adelaide and it's fine for now, but that doesn't mean we have to stay here for ever. Our preferred option at the time of filming series 1 was Melbourne but the BBC weren't going there. Oh and we didn't choose to go to Brisbane either. We got selected for the show and then they told us the places they were going. The only one that fit in with school holidays was Brisbane.

The beaches in SA are lovely by the way. I am not exactly living in a backwater here.

Libby
Many would-be emigrants are OBSESSED with life on the beach being the only valid reason to go to Australia yet many people both in UK and OZ neither live nor want to live on the beach. I'd take Adelaide over Surfers' Paradise (aka Benidorm-on-the-Pacific) any day.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

Hi Libby,

perhaps I should engage brain before posting, True, Adelaide is much more preferrable to the Gold coast (aka benidorm in Oz), and Brissie is incredibly humid which as you mentioned is a problem for your youngest.

I was surprised when you both as teachers (no quotes this time ) would have had a pick of the crop to choose from , especially a few km south of Bris (avoiding the GC) or north of Brissie. Humidity is a problem tho'

Adelaide - we lived there for 18 months or so - having come out from London slowly seemed to close down all my options and I could not see a future there for our family, yes we had a nice house in a nice suburb , but the company I was working for squandered it's opportunities and went bust, so I had to leave and Sydney gave much more options for a future.

I also (and this may have a large thing to do with it) was the only income earner, who had pretty much taken a 50% pay cut to move to adl, I spose you are alrightas teachers (a sought after profession) in ADL for work, but I see Mitsubishi has just closed down - what do those poor guys do ?. An Ageing population (last months advertiser apparently confirmed that, but that's a comic book as regards news)

My work ties me to large financial or cities pretty much, as teachers you have a much wider choice as to location, and tro be honest I don't know south adl that well, only the road down to Victor (which is nice by the way) and you are close to the McClaren Vale (if you like wine)

Adelaide is also expensive in other less obvious ways, there is clearly a Water issue with the Murray, Electricity in Adelaide is roughly (more or less) about 1/3 more than what we pay in Sydney although that information is about 5 years old, and the Adelaidians have often unusal ways of doing things......... I'm sure you've found that out

However, I sincerely wish you the best of luck there!!

deryans

Last edited by deryans; Feb 6th 2008 at 10:08 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

Randy will become famous soon enoughRandy will become famous soon enough

I don`t see why everyone on this show has to be married and have a family. Most people are actually single or in a relationship. I`m single and would love to move to Oz. But never get the opportunity to get a leg-up by programs like this cos I aint married.
I think couples with children are wrong to move countries.. they should think of these things before having kids.

Right?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

Single people moving abroad does NOT make good TV. The BBC specifically wanted families for the show. The BBC didn't provide a leg up so if you think we all got massive perks, think on. For the revisited programme, the director very kindly sent me some Tuna Pasta Bake sauce mixes from the UK that my kids were missing but that's it.

As for us, we were as a couple happy to just pootle along. Having children really made us sit and think about the life we could offer the them.

Deryans, Adelaide does have a slower pace of life which I quite like. My hubbie, bless him, is a country boy and can't cope with the lights and action of busy places. That being said neither can he cope with Adelaide drivers who have to be the most idiotic in the world. I should imagine that Adelaide did hit the senses hard when you are used to London life. I used to live there as a child and have family there, but I couldn't teach there, it would drive me mad.

We were lucky and got the 136 visa so have PR from the outset. Our attitude was that we would start will SA and if we liked it, we'd stay a while. And if not, then we'd move round Oz till we did find somewhere to settle. Adelaide is fine for us right now. It lets us get the kids through school and once they are a bit older, looking at unis etc, we hope to move. My hubbie is desperate to move into Victoria somewhere.

Teachers are sought after here but it is still very much a case of who you know. And for us, we are expected to know a priest or the equivalent to get work in private schools. The opportunities are there but hard to find. The pay though is almost the same as in the UK which means we can get by here on just one full time wage which we couldn't do in UK.

Thanks deryans for your good wishes

Libby
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:01 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Randy
I don`t see why everyone on this show has to be married and have a family. Most people are actually single or in a relationship. I`m single and would love to move to Oz. But never get the opportunity to get a leg-up by programs like this cos I aint married.
I think couples with children are wrong to move countries.. they should think of these things before having kids.

Right?

I think you should keep your trap shut - i would say the majority of people on here have kids and won't appreciate your comments

If you want to move to Oz while single, then do it, but until you've got kids and 'lived' a bit, i think you should keep comments like that to yourself!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mary1967
I think you should keep your trap shut - i would say the majority of people on here have kids and won't appreciate your comments

If you want to move to Oz while single, then do it, but until you've got kids and 'lived' a bit, i think you should keep comments like that to yourself!

Well said Mary and just what we were thinking. We are married, have a 16, 10 and a 7 year old and can't wait, the kids are as excited about the move as we are, and we all can't wait for the challenges and adventures we are going to have all together as a family

Tracy
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Mary, total genius!, well said, I was trying to be diplomatic but much prefer your approach.

Remind me not to upset you!!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:12 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks,

I noticed that BBC are repeating what i think is series 2 at about 2/3am from next Monday so have a look at the listings and set the Sky plus for those of you who may have missed them first time round.

cheers,

Therese
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Right?
Couple this week divorced from each other! Have been a few who are not married.
Hope your troll like posts don't last overly long as you may be in for a roasting saying stuff like it's wrong to move counties with kids
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Right?
What a stupid comment to make - may I ask what age you are?

I am only 27 (around the age of alot of backpackers) yet I have 3 children, to be honest I never considered going to Australia until I had my children, life is fine and dandy for me here, as a carefree single girl whos biggest responsibilty is choosing a good outfit for a night out, but not one I want for my kids.

One day, if you find someone to marry you im sure you will be eating your words. We have a responsibilty to raise our children the best we can and give them the best opportunities available, that we believe is in Australia, for us personally.

You have alot to learn!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mary1967

What Mary siad
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:21 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Right?
Australia is desperate to populate, we have a problem with low population growth and want to change this around. That's why they offer a lump sum to every woman that has a baby , I think the figure is around $5.000 . It is easier to move if your single but you don't totally fit what the government want. Still you can come on your own ,but I think single people would make poor television in a programme like this. Why would you say that couples with children shouldn't move countries?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.