Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:25 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by arkon
Oh my god! Another one. It's like invasion of the bodysnatchers. I'm only keeping this up because it amuses me, eventually when enough Borg drones create logons and post only in this thread some of the other more trusting people might also start to notice something smells like a drunk clergys cod piece.

I've just spat wine all over my computer screen.
That's exactly what I was thinking Arkon.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold
Default Wanted Down Under

anyone been watching wanted down under expected it to be more about migration to australia, it seems its more of a property programme. well im not impressed but saying that ill probably end up watching it for the rest of the week

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 17th 2007 at 8:49 pm. Reason: Post has been moved as it was lonely in a thread on its own!
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

kaysnjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HOPPITY
Hi we are the Jones family on wdu I was the first person to say that we had been on the show, I think It took on of us to do this for every one else to come out I must say I have been sat here waiting for someone else to do it, but as time was ticking on I thought what the hell, I did it mainly because I would like to know if such a programme was going to be on tv as I would have hated to miss it..I know most of us are going through the same emotions, but to actually y do hope you enjoy watching it and look forward to your comments, I must say I am a bit nervous to see myself on Tv as you are supposed to look a little fatter on tv, but as my friend said why worry Sarah you've got wide tv..cheeky ...

Sarah
HI, i just managed to catch the end of todays show on BBC 1 at 9.15, based in Adelaide, my partner would love to watch these shows, does anyone know if they will be shown again at a later time (not when everyone is at work) or will they ever be shown over on BBC 3?? If anyone knows would they let me know, much appreciated, Alison
Old Jan 17th 2007, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

kaysnjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Goodi
absolutely gutted!!!

Can't believe that I didn't set the Sky +. have been so busy at work forgot to watch/record any of these shows. I kept checking the evening tv, on the assumption it would be on one evening about 7ish!! What an inconsiderate time to show the programmes.

Anway the positive is that I can record Thursday's episode.
Exactly, what a stupid time to show the programme, I am gutted, I did the same by checking through the TV guide to see if it will be repeated?? Does anyone know if this will happen. Im asking for SKY + for my birthday!! There are 20 episodes altogether.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

dancingd1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Hi every one

I'm new to this site, its always been a dream of mine to move to Australia, and I was wondering if any one has been watching wanted down under, I just want to know if anyone knows where the family from the 16 jan 2007 episode visited in Perth because I can't remember and it looked really nice, and I can't think where the suburb was.

Thank You
dancingd1970
Old Jan 17th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

hi all
Ive been recording these shows and watching at night. Gotta say i am a bit disappointed - I hope some of these families are going to be going on a budget. Im sure i cant possibly be the only one who will have to go into rented accommodation for a while until established in job to get a mortgage
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
hi all
Ive been recording these shows and watching at night. Gotta say i am a bit disappointed - I hope some of these families are going to be going on a budget. Im sure i cant possibly be the only one who will have to go into rented accommodation for a while until established in job to get a mortgage
Programme seems very much (so far) a typical British person, works all hours has no life wants to go to Aus to have a "better" life, work short hours and have a BIG house as got loads of equity in their UK homes to enable them. Not sure if they ever thought about moving to another area of UK 1st! Would seem more logical, seeing how so far everyone admits to not wanting to leave family/friends. But they'll have this bridge to cross when they get there, I'm glad my Mrs isn't that close to her family as would make leaving far harder and would put pressure on move being instantly good for all concerned!

I'm pretty sure there's lots of us who will take what we save or have very little in the pot and have to do things the hard way. Also not everyone is daft enough to work themselves into the ground and are not so much looking to escape things by moving to Aus!
Such a shame show isn't more serious pros/cons, how things work etc, but maybe only aimed as a gimmick show with no depth. Love the spinning flag idea, what a audience winner lol
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

uksniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rumswizz
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are in the US (we have our PR visa's ready to move) please have a a work with BBC-America so we can have the show over here! I would love to see it, my folks are in the UK and following it too.

Any idea's how we can get it over here?

Cheers
Sorry Rumswizz I was only joking when I said I was the Director General of the BBC. I can't help you with getting it shown in the USA.
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

DITTO what australia bound said
Old Jan 17th 2007, 10:44 pm
u only get 1 shot

B@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to allB@lDeR$ is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Programme seems very much (so far) a typical British person, works all hours has no life wants to go to Aus to have a "better" life, work short hours and have a BIG house as got loads of equity in their UK homes to enable them. Not sure if they ever thought about moving to another area of UK 1st! Would seem more logical, seeing how so far everyone admits to not wanting to leave family/friends. But they'll have this bridge to cross when they get there, I'm glad my Mrs isn't that close to her family as would make leaving far harder and would put pressure on move being instantly good for all concerned!

I'm pretty sure there's lots of us who will take what we save or have very little in the pot and have to do things the hard way. Also not everyone is daft enough to work themselves into the ground and are not so much looking to escape things by moving to Aus!
Such a shame show isn't more serious pros/cons, how things work etc, but maybe only aimed as a gimmick show with no depth. Love the spinning flag idea, what a audience winner lol
As I’m sure you know as you are Aussie bound that you don’t have loads of equity in their UK homes once you have paid out for the visa application, air fair, crate to ship all your worldly goods, moving of pets, selling your house ect the list goes on & on. YES the pound is good at the moment but when you are there earning the $ it all ends up being apples for apples. So NO we are not looking at this through rose coloured glasses. Yes I did consider moving to another part of the British isle but I failed to find somewhere with 8 hours sunshine a day. Plus does the BBC really want to open a can of worms on day time TV with 20 families saying how much they are fed up with the continuous onslort of EU residents milking this country dry?
What you didn’t see on the TV show was my wife having to give up her place at university as a trainee nurse because we couldn’t afford the child care and the fact there was no job post availed at the end of her training. (Where’s the incentive in that) You didn’t see me travelling for nearly 4 hours a day to and from work with 1 hour of that on the London tube and when I do get to work the building I work in is number 1 site for our bearded friends to have a BBQ.

My guess is there may be a series 2 where they go back to find or be told by the family feachered in this series what pros/cons they have come across whilst moving to Aus.

I would like to hear your reason for going to Aus
Paul Larner
Old Jan 18th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by B@lDeR$
As I’m sure you know as you are Aussie bound that you don’t have loads of equity in their UK homes once you have paid out for the visa application, air fair, crate to ship all your worldly goods, moving of pets, selling your house ect the list goes on & on. YES the pound is good at the moment but when you are there earning the $ it all ends up being apples for apples. So NO we are not looking at this through rose coloured glasses. Yes I did consider moving to another part of the British isle but I failed to find somewhere with 8 hours sunshine a day. Plus does the BBC really want to open a can of worms on day time TV with 20 families saying how much they are fed up with the continuous onslort of EU residents milking this country dry?
What you didn’t see on the TV show was my wife having to give up her place at university as a trainee nurse because we couldn’t afford the child care and the fact there was no job post availed at the end of her training. (Where’s the incentive in that) You didn’t see me travelling for nearly 4 hours a day to and from work with 1 hour of that on the London tube and when I do get to work the building I work in is number 1 site for our bearded friends to have a BBQ.

My guess is there may be a series 2 where they go back to find or be told by the family feachered in this series what pros/cons they have come across whilst moving to Aus.

Paul Larner
Thanks for your post Paul.

I watched the show for what it is - day time television - escapism at it's best on a dreary January morning for the masses. But for those of us that have a genuine interest in moving, or going through the same thought processes or even going through the Visa stage it's that little glimer at the end of a blxxdy long slog.

I only wish we had had the same opportunity instead of going on blind faith. I for one am interested in everyones migration story, the more diverse the better - it helps me learn along the way and without programmes like the bbc's and definitely this site I'd be lost.

thanks again,

Shelley

Old Jan 18th 2007, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uksniper
Sorry Rumswizz I was only joking when I said I was the Director General of the BBC. I can't help you with getting it shown in the USA.
Awwww darn it ! And here's me thinking we have contacts in high places on this board!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:06 am
Just Joined

uksniper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheli0508
Thanks for your post Paul.

I watched the show for what it is - day time television - escapism at it's best on a dreary January morning for the masses. But for those of us that have a genuine interest in moving, or going through the same thought processes or even going through the Visa stage it's that little glimer at the end of a blxxdy long slog.

I only wish we had had the same opportunity instead of going on blind faith. I for one am interested in everyones migration story, the more diverse the better - it helps me learn along the way and without programmes like the bbc's and definitely this site I'd be lost.

thanks again,

Shelley

Shelley you have hit the nail on the head. It's a shame more people never looked at it like you.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:19 am
Moving to Perth 2007

est71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul Larner

Could'nt agree more with your comments. I for one have found the programme to be both entertaining and heartwarming, no it isnt a current affairs programme, its a quick inside look into peoples first impressions of australia. My god why do people take life so serious that they have to question the moral intentions of everything that is put in front of them. People have dreams which may or may not be achieved, let them have their dreams. Yes reality is some what different but would any of us get out of bed in the morning if we thought to long and serious about life etc etc etc.

I say a big thankyou to everyone who has a dream and goes with it! Thats what makes life worth living, your dreams my dreams!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Plus does the BBC really want to open a can of worms on day time TV with 20 families saying how much they are fed up with the continuous onslort of EU residents milking this country dry?
Thats one bloody offensive and racist thing to say mate.

This 'continuous onslot of EU residents' as you call them are just people like yourselves who want to get a better life. You want sunshine, they want a decent standard or living.

I suppose you would classify us Irish as part of this group who have been emigrating to the UK for the past 100 years? Just like the 'onslot' of EU citizens, the Irish were only looking to trade a hard days work for a decent wage. No different from the Poles, Latvians or Bulgarians.

Please do yourself a favour and omit your offensive undertones from your vocabulary. This reminds me of that other show...what was it....'A place down under'.....where that guy who went to the Gold Coast with the Gym Instructor and 2 step kids.......well he came out with the clanger......""You cant move in London now for all the asylum seekers" (or words to that effect)......

(edit)...found it http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...seekers+london

"".....I've just watched a bit of Channel Four's A New Life Down Under, in which a morose Cockney and his improbably orange wife were explaining their motivation for leaving England to move to Australia. "We were in London the other day", he said, "and there were just too many asylum seekers".

Riiiiiight. So you checked all their visas and papers personally, did you? You performed a citizen's arrest on every short, dark and/or dirty looking person you saw in Waltamstow and frogmarched them to the Home Office so as to verify their refugee status, did you?...."

Blarff.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 18th 2007 at 10:01 am. Reason: edited to remove offensive language

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.