Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on medical insurance and pregnancy...

Advice needed on medical insurance and pregnancy...

Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed on medical insurance and pregnancy...

I can't find the specifics on this one as there are so many results when I search for pregnancy/insurance/medical care on here so I thought I would just annoy you all with ANOTHER pregnancy related question.

Thanks in advance for any answers...

We have decided to head over to Melbourne in early 2010 (house not selling so have postponed for now) but we are worried as we are no spring chickens but still want to have a baby in the next few years...

Just wondering what the whole situation is over in Oz... We are hoping to set up private medical insurance as soon as we rent a house and get started in work when we get to Australia. Does that mean we are fine to start trying for a baby as we will be covered or is there a waiting period as someone was telling my husband that there is a 2 year waiting period on the medical insurance before they will cover pregnancy...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it is amazing the detail you go into with every little thing once you realise you are emigrating but if we were staying in the UK, you just go with the flow... Ah well.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 2:51 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on medical insurance and pregnancy...

I think it's a 12 month waiting period.
We had medical insurance but wouldn't go near a private hospital to give birth!

Have a look on iselect.com.au might have some info re policies.

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace
I can't find the specifics on this one as there are so many results when I search for pregnancy/insurance/medical care on here so I thought I would just annoy you all with ANOTHER pregnancy related question.

Thanks in advance for any answers...

We have decided to head over to Melbourne in early 2010 (house not selling so have postponed for now) but we are worried as we are no spring chickens but still want to have a baby in the next few years...

Just wondering what the whole situation is over in Oz... We are hoping to set up private medical insurance as soon as we rent a house and get started in work when we get to Australia. Does that mean we are fine to start trying for a baby as we will be covered or is there a waiting period as someone was telling my husband that there is a 2 year waiting period on the medical insurance before they will cover pregnancy...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it is amazing the detail you go into with every little thing once you realise you are emigrating but if we were staying in the UK, you just go with the flow... Ah well.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 3:38 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Yep there is generally a 12 month waiting period before you can claim for antenatal care. Obviously I don't know your reasons for choosing to go private but I have to say I have been very pleased with the public service here - I've had quite a few (ok, a LOT of) complications and the care has been above and beyond what I would have expected from the NHS. I've only had to pay for my initial GP appointment (which could have been avoided if I had gone to a bulk-billed practitioner) and my 12-week scan - once you're booked into a hospital all other scans are covered by Medicare (trust me, I have my 8th scan next week!). Plus, from what I understand, if you have any significant problems with your pregnancy - particularly if you deliver prematurely - depending on what level of care is provided at your private hospital, care is often handed over to the public hospitals anyway because they have a broader range of facilities - if that makes sense. Good luck with it all - baking a bun is bloody stressful at the best of times let alone right on top of a big life altering move (we were here a month before we conceived our next little lump!)

Last edited by FluffieFaerie; Mar 12th 2009 at 3:41 am.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
I think it's a 12 month waiting period.
We had medical insurance but wouldn't go near a private hospital to give birth!

Have a look on iselect.com.au might have some info re policies.

Hi

Sorry to butt in on this thread but can I ask why you say not to go near a private hospital?

I ask as I have an interview tomorrow for a midwifery position at a private hospital!

Sam
Old Mar 12th 2009, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

The main benefit of going private is that you get the doctor of your choice to deliver your baby otherwise you just get whoever is hanging around at the time. I took out private medical for mine and didnt regret it at all even though as it happens it probably made no difference but it felt good to have the doctor I had a good relationship with actually taking care of me.

12 months waiting period for pretty much all private health companies AFAIK
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

We were under the impression that Medicare was just for emergencies and that you have to take out medical insurance to cover everything else when we get to Oz...

Looks like this is another thing I will have to research more cos it would be great to be able to rely on Medicare without the extra expense of private health care...

Hope you are coping with everything and best of luck with the little bun you're baking!!!

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie
Yep there is generally a 12 month waiting period before you can claim for antenatal care. Obviously I don't know your reasons for choosing to go private but I have to say I have been very pleased with the public service here - I've had quite a few (ok, a LOT of) complications and the care has been above and beyond what I would have expected from the NHS. I've only had to pay for my initial GP appointment (which could have been avoided if I had gone to a bulk-billed practitioner) and my 12-week scan - once you're booked into a hospital all other scans are covered by Medicare (trust me, I have my 8th scan next week!). Plus, from what I understand, if you have any significant problems with your pregnancy - particularly if you deliver prematurely - depending on what level of care is provided at your private hospital, care is often handed over to the public hospitals anyway because they have a broader range of facilities - if that makes sense. Good luck with it all - baking a bun is bloody stressful at the best of times let alone right on top of a big life altering move (we were here a month before we conceived our next little lump!)
Old Mar 12th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Can I just ask, so if we get to Australia and find our I am pregnant, we can get Medicare healthcare for the full pregnancy and birth?

I was under the impression that we would just have to wait the 12 months on private health care before getting pregnant because if we get pregnant on arrival in Oz, we would have to pay for everything in full - like in the USA - and we really can't afford to.
Old Mar 12th 2009, 10:03 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Can I just ask, so if we get to Australia and find out I am pregnant, we can get Medicare healthcare for the full pregnancy and birth?
Yep! From my experience so far, it's pretty much like the NHS. There are a few things you would pay for that you don't in the UK but most general stuff including antenatal and postnatal care is covered.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:39 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Would depend on the hospital and state but.
Most private maternity ward are like surgical wards, far too many C sections,
across the road went private and had to be induced early becuase her doctor was going on holiday, not the best for both baby and mum!

But I guess the real issue is that most private hospitals don't have NICU so if anything goes wrong you have to be rushed to main hospital and that time delay can be an issue.

Only benefit I can see is that you get your own bed

I think if your going to go private, go private in a public hospital best of both worlds.

Oh and I know in QLD the staff are worked hard in private hospitals for less Pay so where do you think the best staff work.

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi
Sorry to butt in on this thread but can I ask why you say not to go near a private hospital?
s
Old Mar 13th 2009, 1:42 am

Thats true but I think it can be a benefit seeing many doctors in case one misses anything
Originally Posted by quoll
The main benefit of going private is that you get the doctor of your choice to deliver your baby
Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:50 am
Just Joined

kitty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I just ask, so if we get to Australia and find our I am pregnant, we can get Medicare healthcare for the full pregnancy and birth?

I was under the impression that we would just have to wait the 12 months on private health care before getting pregnant because if we get pregnant on arrival in Oz, we would have to pay for everything in full - like in the USA - and we really can't afford to.
Hi, saw your post - I was in the same situation with wondering about it all, but moved to Melbourne 1 Dec 2008 whilst 7 months pregnant & winged it as could not find out much before moving. Having been here & had a baby that is now 6weeks old my experience of the health care system has not been a positive one - I can't complain about each individual procedure but overall the Medicare system & hospitals are chaos & very very confusing compared to the NHS. You can register for Medicare before arriving I believe as they are very slow registering people (still waiting & my baby is 6 weeks they say it will be another 3 wks at least) and it starts immediately no waiting period. For maternity services each bit works independently of each other ie the GP does not deal with midwives who work from the hospital which you have to choose then book into for your pregnancy, the health visitors are a separate service then & there is very limited aftercare compared to the uk both with midwives & health visitors, everything is very slow, very disorganized & minimal & I went to the new hospital that was built to combat these problems - that was a joke, every appointment I had before giving birth I had to tell them my details from start again as my file was lost every week, it took me ranting like an idiot for them to admit me for my planned c-section due to a pre existing condition and my worst experience after that was my baby was taken away from me for hours immediately after the birth back to the ward whilst i was left in recovery (only had spinal epidural) - no skin-to-skin contact that I read in their booklet that they believe is so important. Not everything is free - for example I had amnio done in the uk before leaving here I would of had to of payed for it- not covered on medicare. Another thing to be aware of it that unlike most other countries in the world- as I was told by uk consulate in Melbourne, you cant register your baby at birth as a uk citizen, it can be done later by applying and paying.
I am sure others will be able to offer positive experiences of having kids here but this is mine & my husbands work colleagues in Melbourne say this is normal but after having my son in scotland & daughter here - I now think the NHS, the care they offer & provide is fantastic (I never believed I would say that!!!) My final piece of advice would be dont have kids here without air conditioning - we did have a good portable unit but even then on the really hot days watching my 4yr old struggle & week old baby hyperventing for the whole time it is hot is heart breaking.
As I said this is my experience I just wished I could of had more info myself before moving & its impossible to find out on the internet. If you have any other specific questions I might be able to help as I'm in Melbourne trying to work it all out myself
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:11 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

Originally Posted by kitty2
Hi, saw your post - I was in the same situation with wondering about it all, but moved to Melbourne 1 Dec 2008 whilst 7 months pregnant & winged it as could not find out much before moving. Having been here & had a baby that is now 6weeks old my experience of the health care system has not been a positive one - I can't complain about each individual procedure but overall the Medicare system & hospitals are chaos & very very confusing compared to the NHS. You can register for Medicare before arriving I believe as they are very slow registering people (still waiting & my baby is 6 weeks they say it will be another 3 wks at least) and it starts immediately no waiting period. For maternity services each bit works independently of each other ie the GP does not deal with midwives who work from the hospital which you have to choose then book into for your pregnancy, the health visitors are a separate service then & there is very limited aftercare compared to the uk both with midwives & health visitors, everything is very slow, very disorganized & minimal & I went to the new hospital that was built to combat these problems - that was a joke, every appointment I had before giving birth I had to tell them my details from start again as my file was lost every week, it took me ranting like an idiot for them to admit me for my planned c-section due to a pre existing condition and my worst experience after that was my baby was taken away from me for hours immediately after the birth back to the ward whilst i was left in recovery (only had spinal epidural) - no skin-to-skin contact that I read in their booklet that they believe is so important. Not everything is free - for example I had amnio done in the uk before leaving here I would of had to of payed for it- not covered on medicare. Another thing to be aware of it that unlike most other countries in the world- as I was told by uk consulate in Melbourne, you cant register your baby at birth as a uk citizen, it can be done later by applying and paying.
I am sure others will be able to offer positive experiences of having kids here but this is mine & my husbands work colleagues in Melbourne say this is normal but after having my son in scotland & daughter here - I now think the NHS, the care they offer & provide is fantastic (I never believed I would say that!!!) My final piece of advice would be dont have kids here without air conditioning - we did have a good portable unit but even then on the really hot days watching my 4yr old struggle & week old baby hyperventing for the whole time it is hot is heart breaking.
As I said this is my experience I just wished I could of had more info myself before moving & its impossible to find out on the internet. If you have any other specific questions I might be able to help as I'm in Melbourne trying to work it all out myself
Wow, it really does sound like you've had a terrible time of it! Perhaps the systems vary state-to-state as I've dealt only with midwives and doctors at the hospital since my GP referred me as I felt this would be the least complicated way to do it, as opposed to shared care. I'm also surprised that you had to pay for your amnio. I haven't been charged for either my amnio or CVS.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, it really does sound like you've had a terrible time of it! Perhaps the systems vary state-to-state as I've dealt only with midwives and doctors at the hospital since my GP referred me as I felt this would be the least complicated way to do it, as opposed to shared care. I'm also surprised that you had to pay for your amnio. I haven't been charged for either my amnio or CVS.
I think you are right in saying that each state offers very different services but Medicare should be the same throughout the whole of Oz surely?

As a UK midwife now looking for work I'm astonished at the lack of communication between the health care providers, the care appears to very disjointed. The lack of home visits for both ante natal (booking etc) and post natal care appear to be non existent for most women, and there is no health visitor as such here in Australia either.

As a midwife I am disheartened to find that most of my skills and experience will not be utilised here, I will simply be an obstetric nurse obeying the docotr instead of a practitioner of normal pregnancy and childbirth.

No wonder Australia has got itself a soaring section rate when birth has become the domain of the obstetrician.

Sam

PS Sorry for the rant!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kitty2
I had a C-section in the UK, spinal epidural as well. Baby went with dad whilst I went to recovery for 2 hours, it's usually a standard thing to do. Have 2 friends who have managed to bring up kids without aircon over here as well (one in Melbourne during the heatwave) plenty of others who have obviously managed as well.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:16 am
Just Joined

kitty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope its just a bad experience - I am consultant only care in the Uk but could get nothing here despite having numerous letters advising it for here. I did not have the amnio here but in scotland but was told by the hospital in melbourne that I would of had to of paid for it if I had it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.