Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Batteries..is it me or don't they last here?

Batteries..is it me or don't they last here?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all
Default Batteries..is it me or don't they last here?

I just wanted to ask about batteries here in Australia... we seem to go through them like water !! I've bought two family packs of EverReady recently and used them in various items from computer mouse to camera's and will last anything from being dead from the packet, 2 hours , with the max being a couple of days !!! I've tried a other makes and they don't seem any different !!
I'd heard that there are different grades of battery here, domestic and commercial..is this so ? And where can i get some decent ones ?
It's driving us mad, not to mention costing a fortune !!!
Any ideas ?? Sunbound
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batteries..is it me or don't they last here?

Originally Posted by Sunbound
I just wanted to ask about batteries here in Australia... we seem to go through them like water !! I've bought two family packs of EverReady recently and used them in various items from computer mouse to camera's and will last anything from being dead from the packet, 2 hours , with the max being a couple of days !!! I've tried a other makes and they don't seem any different !!
I'd heard that there are different grades of battery here, domestic and commercial..is this so ? And where can i get some decent ones ?
Any ideas ?? Sunbound
Why not get yerself some re chargeables? Bunnings is good for em
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eddie007
Why not get yerself some re chargeables? Bunnings is good for em
I have tried them before too , they dont seem to last very long either??
Uk batteries seemed to last much longer ? I wonder whats different ?
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried them before too , they dont seem to last very long either??
Uk batteries seemed to last much longer ? I wonder whats different ?
I think it may be your rose tinted glasses draining the batteries...

My rose tinted glasses used to make me think that the bread here was sh1te ... I obviously had a false memory syndrome... when I took them off I realised that bread here can be as good as in the uk ...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas ?? Sunbound
Did you have these problems before you bought the two family packs of batteries?? if not, then maybe you've bought from a dud batch.

If yes, then the fault could lie in the devices your using. You mention a camera, and a mouse. What other things are the batteries being used in ?

re: the mouse, if you've got one of the cheap infra red ones that has a little usb receiver plugged into your computer / laptop, then I'm pretty sure the mouse will be draining battery power even when you never use it. You really need to buy a better quality mouse, or buy rechargeables.

re: the camera, depending on the model, it will easily drain a couple of AAAs or AAs with some heavy usage.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it may be your rose tinted glasses draining the batteries...

My rose tinted glasses used to make me think that the bread here was sh1te ... I obviously had a false memory syndrome... when I took them off I realised that bread here can be as good as in the uk ...
Actually i"m pretty good with the whole "Rose tinted syndrome"..i've found everything quite good here, nothing i haven't found just as good a substitute for..with the exception of washing powder but then i've still managed.
So nope ..not buying that answer !!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually i"m pretty good with the whole "Rose tinted syndrome"..i've found everything quite good here, nothing i haven't found just as good a substitute for..with the exception of washing powder but then i've still managed.
So nope ..not buying that answer !!
it was just a suggestion....

funny you should say that.... mother arrived from uk with uk fabric conditioned clothing.. I've had my nose burried in her suitcase all week, tears in my eyes, forgotten how good it was...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asprilla
Did you have these problems before you bought the two family packs of batteries?? if not, then maybe you've bought from a dud batch.

If yes, then the fault could lie in the devices your using. You mention a camera, and a mouse. What other things are the batteries being used in ?

re: the mouse, if you've got one of the cheap infra red ones that has a little usb receiver plugged into your computer / laptop, then I'm pretty sure the mouse will be draining battery power even when you never use it. You really need to buy a better quality mouse, or buy rechargeables.

re: the camera, depending on the model, it will easily drain a couple of AAAs or AAs with some heavy usage.
Well the mouse is pretty much the best you can buy ..so cant improve on that. As for other things they're used in ..well all sorts, kids toys, some used often others not, torch, smoke detectors keyboards etc
We use them no differently here and the difference in how they they last is remarkable otherwise i wouldnt be bothered ..just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent brand that we may have more luck with ? Otherwise i'll have to give the rechargables another go
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

it was just a suggestion....

funny you should say that.... mother arrived from uk with uk fabric conditioned clothing.. I've had my nose burried in her suitcase all week, tears in my eyes, forgotten how good it was...
I'm the same when my parents visit.. i just miss how Ariel Automatic got our clothes so clean !!!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas ?? Sunbound
Even though they are made in the same factories in China, Japan and the USA, the different magnetic fields in the southern hemisphere make them drain quicker.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Even though they are made in the same factories in China, Japan and the USA, the different magnetic fields in the southern hemisphere make them drain quicker.
or in a different direction like the bathwater going down the plug?
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

or in a different direction like the bathwater going down the plug?
Something like that.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

just wondered if anyone can recommend a decent brand that we may have more luck with ?
I bought 40 x AA recently, coles homebrand... they were on sale for 99c I think. To be honest I don't notice any difference between the brands, and certainly no difference between Aus and UK batteries.

I do tend to steer clear of the batteries you find in places like "the reject shop" or "crazy clarks", you know the ones I mean.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
True for everywhere bar Magnetic Island, there the batteries never drain and the rabbits are rampant.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas ?? Sunbound
Eveready batteries IMO are poo! I use Duracell and they last longer than the Eveready ones although still not as long as they did in UK. Cameras are renowned for draining batteries quicker than I can drain a wine bottle! I use rechargables for the camera now, although my daughters cheap camera is the only one that uses AA batteries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.