Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Accounts in Oz

Bank Accounts in Oz

Old Aug 26th 2008, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bank Accounts in Oz

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Thanks Swerv. Although, I'm Ireland based and so a UK account wouldnt suit.
You don’t need a UK Citibank account to open an Australian Citibank account. You can open it online, as far as I know you get your account number at the end of the online application process, but you only have a certain amount of time to activate your account.

Mikey
Old Sep 8th 2008, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

What way does the tax work on a bank account. If I lodge money into my account without a tfn, am I going to have to pay 42% tax on it?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
What way does the tax work on a bank account. If I lodge money into my account without a tfn, am I going to have to pay 42% tax on it?
shoot me down if i'm wrong but i understand if you don't have a tax no. you will get charged tax until you get the no. then you get back what you have paid tax on when you fill in your return.Not sure where the 42% tax bit comes from tho?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Babsw
shoot me down if i'm wrong but i understand if you don't have a tax no. you will get charged tax until you get the no. then you get back what you have paid tax on when you fill in your return.Not sure where the 42% tax bit comes from tho?
Cheers. I wonder if I can apply for a tfn and give a relatives address before I arrive in Oz. Or do you need to have a validated visa at the time of application? Also, do you know how long it takes to get a tfn?
Old Sep 8th 2008, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

you do your tfn online and you get it there and then but whether you can from UK or whether you need to validate first i'm sorry but I wouldn't know.You apply through the Aus. tax web site, sorry i don't know web address but would think it would come up on google easy enough.Think its www.ATO something. hope this helps.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Babsw
you do your tfn online and you get it there and then but whether you can from UK or whether you need to validate first i'm sorry but I wouldn't know.You apply through the Aus. tax web site, sorry i don't know web address but would think it would come up on google easy enough.Think its www.ATO something. hope this helps.
No you have to be in Australia to get your TFN. You can provide it to your bank at anytime, when you open, or later on.

PS: If you have been in Oz before (like a working holiday) you still have the same TFN, it's the same number for life.

Mikey