Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Accounts in Oz

Bank Accounts in Oz

Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:18 am
Just Joined

simbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the rough
Default Bank Accounts in Oz

Could anyone tell us if we will be able to open a bank account, before moving to Oz. We are hoping to be moving to Adelaide in the next 18 months and would like to start establishing our credit rating and can we do this from here in the UK rather than going over to Oz.
We would be greatful of any information that you can give us.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

mydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nicemydearboy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Bank Accounts in Oz

Hi YES you can open bank accounts with most of the major banks before you move...if you happen to be with HSBCC they have a service here in the UK and can do everything for you if not try all the major banks online.

Regards to credit rating, the best way to have good credit in Australia is not to have credit, their system works the complete opposite to the UK's.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Yes you can open a bank account before you go, Commonwealth, Westpac, and ANZ all allow it

I wouldn’t recommend HSBC as they are not one of the “Big 4” and usually only have branches in the city centres, can be difficult if you have a problem. Here are their sites.

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/ (commonwealth bank)
http://www.westpac.com.au
http://www.anz.com.au
http://www.nab.com.au

Australia does not have a “Credit rating” they have a Credit Report. You cannot set it up or start it before you come. The system is different and it’s not done by giving you a credit “score” or “rating”. Your credit file here has details of anything you have applied for (even if you didn’t get approved) it does not stat weather of not you got approved, it does not report missed payments etc, but once you are more than 60 days overdue then your creditor can report you as a “default” on your file, the default will remain for 5 years, if you fix it up it will still remain but will have a note next to it that you have paid the debt.

When you get here you will have no credit report, the moment you apply for something (such as a credit card, mobile phone contract etc) this will automatically create your credit report.

Opening a bank account (current account), having a bank account etc etc has nothing at all to do with your credit rating as a bank account is not a line of credit.

For more information on your credit report you can visit Veda Advantage (they hold the credit file for everyone) this is their site:

http://www.mycreditfile.com.au/home/home_default.aspx

Good luck.

Mikey
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

I emailed Citibank and they told me that they can setup an account before moving but it will only be active for 30 days unless I turn up at one of their branches and present my ID (whilst in Oz obviously). The account I think I'll be going with is the Ultimate saver account. No bank charges, free ATM for any bank, debit card (but they had me at 'no bank charges')
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
I emailed Citibank and they told me that they can setup an account before moving but it will only be active for 30 days unless I turn up at one of their branches and present my ID (whilst in Oz obviously). The account I think I'll be going with is the Ultimate saver account. No bank charges, free ATM for any bank, debit card (but they had me at 'no bank charges')
we opened a bank account with westpac and have transferred a little bit of money in so we have some there when we arrive..

not sure about other banks but with westpac you have to validate within 90 days of opening account..otherwise they close the account.

but westpac have been fab
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

simbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the roughsimbor01 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
we opened a bank account with westpac and have transferred a little bit of money in so we have some there when we arrive..

not sure about other banks but with westpac you have to validate within 90 days of opening account..otherwise they close the account.

but westpac have been fab
Thank you to everyone who has replied your information is much appriciated. We will look at all the banks that you have all mentioned, and hopefully will find what we are looking for. Thanks again
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Smart move. I bank with Citibank, and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. The lack of account maintenance fees and free use of ANY ATM in the country is a real bonus, and releases you from the fun of looking for a bank of your particular flavour or paying $2 for the joy or withdrawing through somebody elses.

Fee free banking is in its infancy here, but some banks have taken a lead - HSBC and Citibank being two notable mentions. For some reason, Australians seem to enjoy paying numerous fees and charges for their banking, but there's no need for you to join them!

S
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Recently set up an account with NAB- the gold banking with linked i-saver came up in the best buy tables and it's fee-free as long as you pay in so much per month. Application with an online form, got an email reply within 24hrs and all set up with account number etc in 48hrs.......except you can only have a Cash Management a/c from overseas and have to set up the Transaction (Current) Account once physically in Australia. Need to turn up at a branch with passport and proof of UK address only.
Very tolerant at answering my inane questions by phone (they have advisers in London) and rapid replies to emails which suggest they actually READ them (UK banks take note!)
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Oz Dreaming is on a distinguished road

Smart move. I bank with Citibank, and I couldn't recommend them highly enough. The lack of account maintenance fees and free use of ANY ATM in the country is a real bonus, and releases you from the fun of looking for a bank of your particular flavour or paying $2 for the joy or withdrawing through somebody elses.

Mighty sound like a stupid question but does Citibank have any branches in Brisbane? In the UK (or i should mean outside london) I have never seen a citibank branch although on their website you can open a current account. Are they not more like an international investment bank instead of dealing with small customers?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

ballesteros is on a distinguished road

Sounds like Citibank are as good as anybody.

Ballesteros.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simbor01
Could anyone tell us if we will be able to open a bank account, before moving to Oz. We are hoping to be moving to Adelaide in the next 18 months and would like to start establishing our credit rating and can we do this from here in the UK rather than going over to Oz.
We would be greatful of any information that you can give us.
If you go to Westpacs web site you can open your account online and its a very straightforward process.Just fill in the form and submit it and they send you your account details and you go into see them when you arrive with your passport and basically identify yourself and off you go. It seems similar process with all the main Oz. banks.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:32 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oz Dreaming

Mighty sound like a stupid question but does Citibank have any branches in Brisbane? In the UK (or i should mean outside london) I have never seen a citibank branch although on their website you can open a current account. Are they not more like an international investment bank instead of dealing with small customers?

Citibank don't really do branches - they have a huge office in the CBD in Sydney, and there is a front desk there for doing ID checks etc. Most of your day to day banking - paying in cheques etc - is either done through Australia Post or their associate bank the NAB.

Anything else is done either over the phone or via internet banking. If you have more than $100k invested with them, then you are eligible for a Gold Class Banking upgrade for free, and you then get a personal banker who deals with you. Things like bank cheque requests are all processed online.

Mortgages are dealt with by way of a personal mortgage consultant, who comes to see you face to face. At the moment they are offering some reasonably competitive fee free mortgage products.

If you absolutely have to have a branch that you need to desperately visit, then Citibank probably isn't for you. As Citibank don't charge for withdrawals from competitors ATMs, then the number of ATMs/Branches near to you becomes much less important.

S
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Citibank don't really do branches - they have a huge office in the CBD in Sydney, and there is a front desk there for doing ID checks etc. Most of your day to day banking - paying in cheques etc - is either done through Australia Post or their associate bank the NAB.

Anything else is done either over the phone or via internet banking. If you have more than $100k invested with them, then you are eligible for a Gold Class Banking upgrade for free, and you then get a personal banker who deals with you. Things like bank cheque requests are all processed online.

Mortgages are dealt with by way of a personal mortgage consultant, who comes to see you face to face. At the moment they are offering some reasonably competitive fee free mortgage products.

If you absolutely have to have a branch that you need to desperately visit, then Citibank probably isn't for you. As Citibank don't charge for withdrawals from competitors ATMs, then the number of ATMs/Branches near to you becomes much less important.

S
How long does it take to setup an account with Citibank from overseas? Do you get your account number immediately after applying online or after you send the forms in?
Old Aug 26th 2008, 7:46 am
has lost The Game

How long does it take to setup an account with Citibank from overseas? Do you get your account number immediately after applying online or after you send the forms in?

I've not set one up form overseas myself - I opened mine after I had been here for several months.

I believe that the way to go is to open a Citibank UK account, and then you can open an Australian one. They make quite a bit of their foreign exchange service, and how easy and seamless it is to move money between countries. They have recently asked me if I would be interested in setting up a Citibank India account...

S
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I've not set one up form overseas myself - I opened mine after I had been here for several months.

I believe that the way to go is to open a Citibank UK account, and then you can open an Australian one. They make quite a bit of their foreign exchange service, and how easy and seamless it is to move money between countries. They have recently asked me if I would be interested in setting up a Citibank India account...

S
Thanks Swerv. Although, I'm Ireland based and so a UK account wouldnt suit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.