Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank account in Perth

Bank account in Perth

Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice
Default Bank account in Perth

Hi, I need to start looking at opening up a bank account in Perth.

Anyone want to share some good information on who they used in Perth with the least charges etc. I did hear about the commenwealth bank but they have high charges??

Thanks
Stellaman
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice
Default Re: Bank account in Perth

Morning

We opened WestPac accounts on our validation trip in December. Within a week we had the pin numbers and ATM cards. So simple!! Also they have a 6 month waive on fees for migrant accounts (something that i told the clerk she went off and checked with her manager and agreed with...) after that it is $5 per month but waived if you pay in more than $2000 per month.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Griffangus
Morning

We opened WestPac accounts on our validation trip in December. Within a week we had the pin numbers and ATM cards. So simple!! Also they have a 6 month waive on fees for migrant accounts (something that i told the clerk she went off and checked with her manager and agreed with...) after that it is $5 per month but waived if you pay in more than $2000 per month.

Hi - thanks for the info, I will look at the website. Did you have the cards and pins posted to UK? I do know the address we will be at for a few months in Perth so just wanted to see what you did. Thanks again!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

We were actually there and used my folks address in Perth so from that point of view it was easier for us.

Before we went however, I had spoken to and dealt with a guy at WestPac in London and was fully prepared to open an account with him (if our house had sold when planned before the trip...). The details are below, i would suggest a call just to see if it suits your needs:

Jeremy - 0207 621 7211

http://www.westpac.com.au/internet/p...igrant+banking
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:22 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

HI,
With Commonwealth bank at the moment they have an offer, If you deposit $2k per month into your account, Its fee free for life, So if you have your salary credit or other payments you will no be paying anything.
Gary
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

We went with Commonwealth, it was so easy,just gave them a phone at there London branch and they sent out the forms,within a week we had a UK sortcode and account number. You can transfer funds and then either choose to have them held in the London account or transferred straight to Oz. (£15 per transfer so we're moving all our money at once,handy if theres an emergency later on. folk can transfer money to you or you can send money back) When we get to Perth we just pop into our local branch and collect our cards and PINS.

My OH already opened one when we were across in Sept, he did it all at the branch in Perth and they sent his card etc to the post office within 3 days as we didnt have a permanent address at the time.

Cant fault the bank so far they have been fab
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
HI,
With Commonwealth bank at the moment they have an offer, If you deposit $2k per month into your account, Its fee free for life, So if you have your salary credit or other payments you will no be paying anything.
Gary

Hi - thanks for the info!! With the Commonwealth bank - is there an online application option for this?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:00 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

HI if you goto the webpage http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...a/default.aspx
This gives you all the details you need you can even get in touch over the phone. Here is the dedicated link if you are moving from the UK.
http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...k/default.aspx

And here is the number if you want to contact them Ph: +44 (0)20 7710 3990
I know some Commonwealth banks have dedicated people over here to help you when you arrive. Where in Australia are you moving to??
Hope this helps.
Gary