Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A viewing at last !!!

Jill - keep posting, love hearing your adventures
Imogen - Happy Birthday to you
Warren - hope that come Monday morning your agent rings with an offer you can't refuse
hugs
Rach xxx
Old Jul 31st 2004, 6:58 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by wmoore
2nd one sounds promising Warren. I'm prepared to do a tag-team with Bundy on the crossing thing (oo-er!) if it'll help.
We had one like your first viewer too, still waiting. Not that we care anymore, accepted an offer 10 days ago anyway!

Hi Wayne,

Just be careful what you cross !!

Just had a call from Jill, its 2am and the "rat" is whimpering and howling.

By the way I like your diary website - and I thought we had had a rollercoaster of a journey !!

Warren

Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:07 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Hi Wayne,

Just be careful what you cross !!

Just had a call from Jill, its 2am and the "rat" is whimpering and howling.

By the way I like your diary website - and I thought we had had a rollercoaster of a journey !!

Warren
Ist Aug

Sweet mother of Jesus..............

It's 8 am here, will tell you all about it later, I never realised a dog could cry!

Jill

Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:10 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Ist Aug

Sweet mother of Jesus..............

It's 8 am here, will tell you all about it later, I never realised a dog could cry!

Jill
that sounds like a fantastic nights sleep you got yourself there Jill, Mayb the pet shop will take the smelly spray stuff and the rat back for a refund!!!!
Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:28 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by kala
that sounds like a fantastic nights sleep you got yourself there Jill, Mayb the pet shop will take the smelly spray stuff and the rat back for a refund!!!!
1st Aug

It's crossed my mind I can tell you, but the poor guy is so cute and so scared I couldn't do it to him. Midge was up too, bless her, I just want Warren here he's good at this sort of thing.

As I sit here I have tears streaming down may face, so I don't think today's installment willl make good reading - sorry guys.

I just don't do 'lack of sleep' - it's one of the main contributing factors for 'post natal depression', 'post puppy depression' - so if I get miserable, just point out its lack of sleep please.

I can cope with anything and I have, but lack of sleep makes you feel so ill and I do, mixed with guilt, missing Warren like hell - (just need a hug ) and the overwhelming feeling that I shouldn't have given in. A 7 year old whinning is nothing compared to a puppy crying at 1am, 3am, 5am, then throwing up..........

Not a good day guys - sorry, told you it would be warts and all

Jill

Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:55 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this with the poor little thing

1. Hotwater bottle under a blanket - simulates warmth off of its mother
2. radio on low for sound
3. Background light on
4. Ticking alarm clock - dont know if they do them in OZ

He will calm down. He just wants to be beside you guys. We gave in with our pup and let him sleep in the hall beside our room. We used a playpen to keep him confined for his toilets etc.

Good luck
Old Aug 1st 2004, 12:59 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

1st Aug

It's crossed my mind I can tell you, but the poor guy is so cute and so scared I couldn't do it to him. Midge was up too, bless her, I just want Warren here he's good at this sort of thing.

As I sit here I have tears streaming down may face, so I don't think today's installment willl make good reading - sorry guys.

I just don't do 'lack of sleep' - it's one of the main contributing factors for 'post natal depression', 'post puppy depression' - so if I get miserable, just point out its lack of sleep please.

I can cope with anything and I have, but lack of sleep makes you feel so ill and I do, mixed with guilt, missing Warren like hell - (just need a hug ) and the overwhelming feeling that I shouldn't have given in. A 7 year old whinning is nothing compared to a puppy crying at 1am, 3am, 5am, then throwing up..........

Jill
Jill,

really dont know what to say, i't 1.46am here and the seagulls are already up and squarking 30 miles in land so something is wrong there. i'm supping on a Jacks and Coke when I am suposed to have given up drinking and bloody CRYING again Honestly twice in 1 day over some people I have never in my life met is not good. I have a fag in my mouth ready to light but no a lighter in the house. So in my slightly anebriated state my opinion is

Either Call Warren, wake him up and have a good cry
Or go hire a soppy girly movie and cuddle up on the sofa for the day with Midge and Smudge and cry over the movie
Or donate child and puppy to a cousin and got get yourself pampered. (nails, hair and massage)
OR in desperate measures crack open a breezer or 2, (a crate/slab might do) and get the rabbit out

Kala

Last edited by kala; Aug 1st 2004 at 1:01 am.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 1:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

No tips for puppies I'm afraid Jill, wouldn't know where to start, but just wanted to send you a huge hug, and hope things go better tonight
Old Aug 1st 2004, 1:59 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

1st Aug

Jill

You poor thing, if I could get there to give you a big hug I would do. I know after travelling for 36hours at the beginning of the week how odd I felt without proper sleep... hope you manage to get some tonight.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 3:44 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Jill

Don't panic about Smudge - it will only get better as it will take him time to to settle.

Anyway - some tips for you....

Re the howling and crying at night.

You HAVE to harden your heart or you will be lost forever because the little bugger will wheedle his way into your bed.

Have a distinct area that is his - best bet is to get a indoor kennel - a cage basically - where you put his bed - that becomes his den (it will also help with toilet training) - and put it in a room where you can close the door and walk away (ie NOT the kitchen where you need to get revitalising cups of tea etc)

Put him to bed early - let him outside for a pee, put him in the kennel (or shut him in the room where anything precious has been removed) say 'bedtime' AND WALK AWAY - do not return however much noise he makes (my little bitch howled for an hour the first night we got her). He will eventually stop - leave it AT LEAST half hour - then go and get him - tell him good boy, take him outside for a pee and little play then, BACK TO HIS BED - same routine and leave him. He will prob howl a bit then settle - leave him for the night. Follow this routine every time you leave and he will learn that if he is quiet, you will come back every time.

The business with the hot water bottles,ticking clocks and so on is worth a try but I have never used such things and it has only taken a couple of night to sort my pups out. Make sure he is well played with before bedtime and he should be so knackered he will just sleep.

Re Toilet training

Unless you catch him in the act NO TELLING OFF - if he is in the act you should pick him up, say No, No, No and take him immediately outside.

You should take him outside after he wakes up, after a meal, after a play - you will learn when he usualy pees and poos - stay with him outside and when he 'performs' real really praise him - it is the best trick in the whole world that he has just done. Where he has peed/pooed in the house, clean it with an odourless cleaning product where you can - any scent will just take him back to the same places. These pads and sprays are a load of old rubbish and merely get you to part with your cash so you feel you are doing the right thing by the dog.

If he isn;t in a kennel, put newspaper down for during the night (if he is in a kennel you will need to let him out about 3am ish for a week or so until his bladder is big enough to hold a larger amount of fluid for a longer time don;t fus him when you go in - just pick him up - out to the garden, peem, then back to bed)) or if you leave him, (which you should for an hour at a time even at this early age), again put newspaper down.

Keep things very calm - quiet voices gentle actions- around him because it sounds like he is a bit stressed about it all - if he is a quiet sort of pup it might be because he is a bit nervous so you have to build his confidence by NOT scaring him with anything - any nerves on his part translate into pooing everywhere so it is in your interests to keep him calm and happy!

Re runny poos

Might be because he is a nervous little thing and a bit scared by it all and also might be his food - if you are feeding him a puppy complete food ( by far the best thing for him BTW) try making the meals very small and cutting the dog food amount in half and replacing it with boiled rice for a day. Then slowly increase the amount of dog ffod until he is at the amount he should be having - three meals a day is best for pup - brekky at about 7am, luch at 1pm then dinner at 6pm. I give my pups some milk in the morning mixed in with their food and a bit of raw mince in the evening, again mixed in with their food. Keep to that routine and his toilet habits should also start following a routine.

What sort of dog is he (apart from fluffy!!)

I hope things get better for you and you can start actually having some FUN with him - start training him NOW with little tidbits to get him to sit and so on - it is good fun and you will build up a rapport with him which is really lovely to have.

Good luck and if you want any more advice (if all the waffle above proves useful!), please do not hesitate to PM me.

Good luck with him and carry on with your brill posts!
Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:15 am
Go Banana's !!

1st Aug

Thankyou so much for all your replies and pms, I've read them all , a bit overwhelming really.

A big thankyou to Pollster and I will print it out. He's a maltese / shitsu cross - very very cute.

This probably wasn't such a good idea doing this on my own, with not ever having had a dog

He has a bed in the laundry, with news paper all around and is mananging to wee on there, poo's are another story and he's been sick again.

The only reason I went to him last night was because he kept escaping, I was happy to leave him to wine.

This is a very small house we are renting and has no doors from the laundry, to the kitchen to the family area, but it's the best area. Consequently we barraged him in with boxes, two dinning chairs (as we found out at 3am he could move the boxes) a bamboo book case and the kitchen bin !! It was quite comical if I didn't feel so crap.

Warrens cousin is coming round later with a child gate which I am going to cover it with cardboard and write something witty on it to make me smile, trouble is I'm not one of these people who can laugh at her own jokes.

Been told not to give him milk, but may try the boiled rice idea

God you must all think I'm really pathetic, I know I do!!
Thanks again guys
Jill

Old Aug 1st 2004, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everything Polster has said. When we first had our dog (7 months) from a rescue centre she was totally untrained. Used to let her in the garden and wait with her. When she did her pee, I used to make a big fuss of her and say good pee pee. It does sound comical to the neighbours. But after a few days. I could open the door and say go pee pee and she knew what I meant. Out she'd pop down she'd squat and hey bingo. The trick with dogs is to keep comands simple. One word preferably (so could use pee once). Use good for the good things and ignore the bad. Good Pee, Good sit, Good lie. etc

It WILL be worth it in the end.

Love reading your thread, best thing on Telly for a while.

Cheers Jo

PS Got to be quiet, cant sleep, 5.30 am at mom and if hubby catches me on expats he'll have a fit. Already threatening to set up isa server to limit my time on here.:scared:
Old Aug 1st 2004, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Jill

All pups cry and howl the first few nights, they are very distressed at leaving the mum and litter. Go to any search function and type in 'Puppys first night' or similar, lots of info will come up all telling you the same, be firm, do not go in to pup and it will stop in a few nights, its hard but it does work. Very reassusring to know its normal and will stop soon.

Diet, if the pups having the same diet he was used to I dont think he should be throwing up, might need to see a vet. Up till 12 weeks they should be isolated from other dogs because they are not immunised enough and will pick up all sorts of stuff, trouble with buying from pet shops is many people may have handled them and passed on doggy tummy/flu things .

We got our guy, we took in a soft toy and left it in with the litter for 2 hours it had a beaut familiar doggy smell by then and when he was lonely he would cuddle up to the big stuffed toy and go to sleep.

Also Perth would be very cold at this time of year is he warm enough to go to sleep?, might need a warmer room.

Dont worry, soon if hes anything like our pooch you will soon be wondering how you ever lived without him. We call our guy son no 4 and he really is just one of the boys.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:00 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

sent you a pm.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Nothing to add except Jill, it will get better mate
hugs
Rach xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.