Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Go girl-fab updateReally interested to hear about the schooling situation ,this is one of my main concerns-but they seem to be bending over backwards at the mo-good news there then.

Keep us all posted you do type a lovely script darling
Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:50 pm
joveazey

Your post is sooooooooo funny ! Makes me want to come there even more ! When we visited my sister in law in Greenwood at Christmas I had my hair cut in a little salon there which was ok, but one of Tania's friends goes to one of a chain and I can't bloody remember the name of it, but I think it begins with a C and is really well known. They are equivalent to Tony & Guy I think. I know what you mean about hair and nails, I have my nails done every fortnight and my hair is really thick and if they don't cut it properly I look like Cristal Tips:scared:

That name will come to me I'm sure...

Jo

Old Jul 28th 2004, 1:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't be the first forum personality to write a book after all........ go for it!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:03 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Originally posted by Grayling
Jill

Nice post.

It could be that the UK children are not brighter than the Australian children. Just that the UK system is more advanced.

This is an important point for parents to note.

Best wishes

G
Totally agree and didn't mean to intermate that Oz children are less bright, I don't tend to think alot when I type.....it just flows.

It is a very important point to make. Unfortunatley we are not comparing like for like as Littlen' went to an Independant school in the UK, but this Oz school has done much more to help her initially than the state school she went to in the UK first.

Anyway that's not up for debate - start another thread if you guys want to . I'm on a roll and if I want to publish this I need to keep focused.

Future episodes include "How bad can a haircut be?" and
"The arrival of the rat complete with pictures"

Anyway I'm off to find a website that was on the back of a van we followed home from school today. Littlen' thought it was hilarious it was www.nudie.com.au and had some strange animations on.

Jill

Old Jul 28th 2004, 2:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I'll look forward to the next installment then.

G
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:12 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Jill, Sounds like you're having a great start even with the blip!
Good to hear about the school and how interested they are in their pupils.

Anyway, keep it up babes and hopefully be with you in Perth sometime this year.

Vicky
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post Jill,

glad you are sorting out little 'ins schoolling.

Post me a fajita please - love 'em!!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2004, 3:25 pm
Banned

Kendonakasaki is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bananas, ace reading, it reminds me of when I was a kid and read my comics, couldn't wait for the next edition!! Where are you in Perth/ The school sounds very understanding, I can imagine the response I would get from my daughters school here if I questioned their teaching methods.
Old Jul 28th 2004, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Yet another great post mate!
fantastic that it's everything your dreamt it would be!
Still got all our bits crossed regarding the sale of your house mate
hugs
Rach, Mark and Chanelle xxxxx
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:34 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent reading, I await the next installment with bated breath.

ACE
Old Jul 28th 2004, 9:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Very enjoyable reading and helping a lot of people overcome the jitters.
You and phoenix are helping us all in "forewarned is forearmed"
Thankyou

Now when can we all come over for a party Jill ?
Old Jul 29th 2004, 7:03 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Jill, just read your other thread "In for a penny....". I had tears streaming down my face.
Van't wait to meet you mate. I think we're going to get on!!!
Old Jul 29th 2004, 11:58 am
Go Banana's !!

Thursday 29th July 04

Can't promise huge amounts of whit everyday guys, I'm just tellin' it like it is, warts and all.

Dropped littlen' off at school this morning, it's murder getting a space, all the Mum's park up early to chat, well you can kiss that, gone are my days spent in sat in acr outside school. So I am now a big fan of 'kiss and drive' which can be done in the mornings too. However I like to see her teacher, so for now we are going to park round at the rels and walk over.

Now how's this for well spooky there is a little girl in her class who she used to play with at the park last year in County Durham. I thought she was making it up so asked the little girl, who said yes she did, dying to meet the parents to check it out.

Don't hold out much hope of meeting any Mums from the school, with this kiss and ride thing, you just about get a chance glimpse of your child, let alone anyone to chat to.

She did her tests today and amazed the teacher by spelling photograph.the results should be interesting.

I seem to have been asked for money from all quarters at the mo. Tennis starts next Wed...ching...$50, there are school fees....ching...$30......trip money....ching ....$8 and then all the outside clubs.

Some bloody hope of a rest, so far we are signed up for gymnastics, swimming, walking the cousins dog, tennis, yet to get horseriding underway and then there's that whole new world of puppy walking class I'm so looking forward to NOT.

On that subject I had quite a lovely day today. Went to buy a few bits for littlen's birthday - just a few bits for her to open as we won't be picking the rat up til the afternoon. Went into see the little guy, he is the most adorble little ball of fluff you have ever seen, I really can't wait 'til he's ours.

I keep thinking of him in the window of the pet store all alone I nearly took him there and then but it would have totally spoiled the suprise. I did manage to relieve myself (steady) of another couple of hundred dollar on puppy shampoo and conditioner, flee drops, ear cleaner, eye cleaner, a brush and countless other bits. I'm leaving the bed, bowl, lead, toys etc for her to pick when we pick him up on Sat. The woman in the shop is from Yorkshire and is coming in on her day off to hand him over - the pair of us have a box of tissues ready.

On the surface I thought these 'in the window' pet stores were a tadge barbaric, but they are actually very good. Yet another one lesson in not going on first impressions. They seem very professional and all the papers seem in order and you get vouchers for the vets, which is obviously a marketing ploy, but hany as I didn't have a clue. THe animals are very much loved and cared for - quite obssessively actually. The lady at the pet store has given me her home number incase I get into difficulty with the rat. We stood talking, inbetween customers for an hour. I had hold of the little guy all that time and we had quite an audience. It appears that I must have bought him a few hours after he came into the store. He's the quiet one out of the litter and they have had many dissappointed enquiries.

I was going to do more shopping, but thought what's the bloody rush. So I bought meself a footlong subway roll and ordered a birthday cake for littlen'.

Be warned they do not have any birthday cakes in the supermarkets like the UK does, non of this Barbie, M&S caterpillar or Buzz lightyear stuff, you have to really treck to find somewhere. Normally I would make her one, but I can forgive myself this year as all my stuff is still in the UK and Warren won't let me by a Kitchen Aid, my dream mixer.

Anyway with limited options I went to a place called 'The Cheescake Company' and ordered a mud pie with a horses head on. What with that and the Saddle Club dooner with horses heads on, I'm beggining to think I stepped into The Godfather.

Now you may roll your eyes at this one, but I had a blissful afternoon sat in the sun reading a book, eating my sub roll and listening to the country and western channel. I know, I know, but I love it. We used to have it on cable when we lived in St Neots, but they took it off and I was gutted. I sat in the sun absorbed in my book and occassionally looking up to see all the lovely birds and the palms swaying in the wind all around the pool. A simple pleasure, but I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Before I knew it 2 hours had passed by and I was off to do kiss and ride!

I'm not able to disect the relevant bits for everyone so apologies if most of this is waffle. I am doing it for selfish reasons, every now and then I will print it off so I have a record of our 'journey'

I can't promise rip roaring humour either and sometimes I'm sure this will be quite sad and boring !, but what I can promise is an honest account of what's going on and in between that you might find something useful.

It's swimming tommorrow and then the big day after that the fluff balls arrival (he's too cute to be called a rat). I soooo can't wait.......

Thanyou for all your lovely comments, doing great wonders for my ego and I'm finding myself during the day making mental notes of what to write - how sad is that?

Jill

Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:27 pm
joveazey

This is really sad, but I'm finding myself in suspense at the "Rat arrives" episode.

Jo

Old Jul 29th 2004, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joveazey
This is really sad, but I'm finding myself in suspense at the "Rat arrives" episode.

Jo
With memories of a favourite sit-com.....Please Jill, don't call it "Basil"........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.