Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Oh my god.

I have only been away a fortnight, come back, don't recognise a damn thing on the site, haven't had time to work out what is going on. Decided to read through some threads and in the past hour have only managed this one.

Jill and Warren

Your lives are a blur. Jill how you have managed to do all this in such a short time I do not know. You seem to be having the time of your life, sleep permitting! Warren you must soooo want to be with her.

Keep up the good work. It is brilliant reading. I now need to go and iron for England and try to get my head round this new look.

Penny
Old Aug 10th 2004, 3:36 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Ahhhhhhhh poor puppy

I'll come early Thurday and give it extra cuddles
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

JIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant futureJIVEBABE has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Thought I'd move all my ramblings to one self explanatory diary, for peeps to tune into if they so wish. Yeh right
This is mainly for my benefit, as I keep loosing track where I've commented.

Wednesday 28th JUly

Had a considerably better day today. Littlen's teacher had read all her UK reports and examples of her work. She was facinated by the UK system and wanted to hear all about her lessons, commenting on the variety of stuff she has done.

She said that she had had a meeting with the Head regarding Littlen's education programme. They are going to test her with some standard Australian tests to find out how she stacks up with Oz children - but on the surface they have a child who is considerably brighter than the rest of the children in her class. (her class is 7 -9 year olds and she is 7)
BTW - I'm not boasting about this, it's just information as the majority of the UK children they have in the school are brighter than the Oz children, but all hope is not lost, they do have resources and help to deal with it. Some of you may come across these issues and if you know that something can be done then it's reassuring.
Anyway after they have done the tests they then want to sit down with me and we will decide between us what they can do for her. The teacher said that if necessary she will design a special programme for her. That was this morning.

After that I went off and explored Coles, as a supermarket I think it's miles better than Woolies - much better they layout and I found better choice.

Then I bought a vacuum cleaner, needed a cheapie as we have one in the UK, I paid the grand total of $80 after a bit of haggling and dangling the carrot of "We'll be in the market for fridge/freezer, microwave, dishwasher etc...." It's a cute little number.
Booked littlen' into swimming lessons for this Friday, $50 per term and no 2 year waiting list like the UK - you think I'm joking? I kid you not, littlen' never got to the top of the waiting list at the local pool in UK.
Ladies were so nice and she will be in a class of 6 children.

Then came home and made myself some fresh guacamole and salsa and had nachos for lunch mm mm mmmmm, better than any Tesco crap. Read me book for an hour, sat outside in the sun, be careful, althought it's a bit chilly, I still caught the sun, any longer and I'd have burn't.

Littlen' insisted that I pick her up from school like a big girl and do the 'kiss and drive' system, I eyed her suspisiously and tried not to think it sounded like an excellent party game

This is the alternative to parking up and picking your child up from the classroom.
It works like this: the school has a Warden who stands with the children as thay come out of school and you drive past and bundle your child into the car and get away as quick as posible. You are not allowed to stop which I found out. I'd stopped the car in the designated area about 5 mins before they were due to come out and got a very polite telling off . I was also told off for facing the wrong direction!!.
The cars travel around in a convoy (there is a roundabout at either end of the strip infrount of the school) It looks so funny. You have to keep circling until you spot your child. Once I get used to it I think it's a good idea. Parking outside the school is impossible, think they all must arrive at 1 pm.

Excitedly rushed back via the bakery, were I purchased a rather yummy apple and custard twist, for a very special guest.
Unfortunatley we had alot more yapping to do than time would allow, as the conversation was interrupted by the Headmaster ringing me at home. No prompting from me I might add.
In a nutshell he explained that initially he is going to ring me on a daily basis to keep the dialogue going on Littlen's progress. After the test we will have a meeting with him and the school shrink! (not sure if he mean't for me)

He feels this needs to be nipped in the bud early so that the school can get her education at the correct level. He explained all the options available to him, all the rescourses. They have special programmes for 'gifted' children, which they go offsite for or he may move her up a year. He fully understood that for her to become bored at this age would be quite damaging to her attertude towards school. He has been in the class with her today, spending time watching her.

I was amazed at this attention and feel a million times better about the whole thing. I explained to Littlen' what was happening in the next few days to make sure she was happy with that.

Moving on, we have a potential viewing on the house, but not getting my hopes up about that one.

Tommorrows mission is the purchase of a whole pet store for the arrival of 'The rat' - I am offically mad.

Still need to get a flippin hair cut and a nail job. Not sure whether I need a makeover or a bulldozer to flatten the creases and start from scratch.

Bit scared of taking the plunge into the world of haircuts - used to enjoy going now I'm petrified. The longer I leave it the less it resembles the original style, so that will be even harder to explain "Style - what style?"

Rang Toyota to use the services of the 'at home service' the lady apologised that there was a delay and it would have to be the day after tommorrow. Oh how I laughed, I used to have to wait at least 3 weeks to book in a service at the garage in the UK and even longer if I wanted the use of a car. So it looks like it's just Telstra that sucks - most Ausies agree.

Much as I would love to sit and type all night Littlen' wants some supper and I need to wash up after cooking a curry.

Next episode coming soon..................

Jill
How wonderfully exciting! That school sounds amazing. We are headed to Perth early next year hopefully and am currently looking for good schools for my boys. What school is your 'littlen' at? Keep up the diaries, they are invaluable.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:11 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Jill,

I just wanted to say I am still soooo addicted to your diary!! We're currently homeless and staying in a hotel, but I'm sooo addicted that after the gym I returned to work JUST to read your diary today! Now how addicted is that??? :scared:

Warren, I hope your house sells really quickly so that you can have a wonderful reunion with Jill - she is SERIOUSLY missing you!!!
Jill, sorry to hear about the malling of Smudge. Warren will sort the dobbie out!!

Keep the posts coming!
Colleen
3 weeks to go today!!

Last edited by sunchaser; Aug 10th 2004 at 7:23 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

ARRRRGH this is my second attempt at posting . I hate dial up, I had crafted the perfect, I say perfect posting and the BASTARD had logged me out and I lost the lot. This is how much I love you guys I"m going to try again, even though I'm knackered and onto the second breezer.
You know that we all appreciate your efforts and I have a suggestion for you while you are enduring dial-up.

:lecture: Why not write your post in Word and then cut and paste it onto here? That way you stand a decent chance of getting your words of wisdom up before you get kicked off.

Hope this is half as useful as the help you've been giving us!

Sarsa (Mrs Gravyman)
Old Aug 11th 2004, 12:39 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

.....This is how much I love you guys I"m going to try again, .......

Apart from savage dogs and an absent husband life is pretty damn good.

Speak to yas all soon

Jill
Brilliant post Jill absolutely brilliant. We need to get you syndicated.

Glad you had a great day.

Edited to say : we all love you too. Thanks for the effort of redoing your post xx

Last edited by Mairi&Chris; Aug 11th 2004 at 12:47 am.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 5:20 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got off the phone to Jill. The dog seems a bit traumatised by his savaging by the Dobberman !! Poor little thing. Just wait till I get to those puppy classes..... Warren
Avid reader of the diary!

My pup had a similar vice like experience with one of those huskies, mad blue eyes and mad brain too. Got Choccy's whole head in his mouth, the dirty rascal.

It's owner just stood there watching so I had to snatch poor old Choccy away at great risk to meself.

I'm sure old Smudge will be fine in a day or so.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:12 am
Go Banana's !!

11th Aug

Yippie we have :scared: back !! gonna need him later, however he does seem a bit flat compared to his 3D counterparts. Actually have some time to myself now, while Midge plays with the traumatised Smudge.

Woke up with a mild to medium hangover after the solo bacardi breezer session last night . This was further compounded by the fact that it's tennis day today which starts at 7:45am. We've got used to the late starts compared to the UK so this is a bit of a bitch. Sporting dark glases we raced to tennis, need to be earlier next week, Midge missed the 5 min warm up run around which she loves, bad mom :lecture: I then came back and tidied the devistation we had left in our wake. A totally freaked Smudge broke wind when he saw me, I have that effect on Warren

Then took myself of to Karrinyup and bought myself some very nice Esprit trackie stuff (alot cheaper than the UK Esprit) Got a hoodie, long and short sleeved t-shirts and two pairs of trackie pants for $269, very good quality stuff. I then trotted off to the sports shop for a pair of trainers $150. It was at the sports shop that I felt the need to use this little guy :scared: my cheque card was nowhere to be seen, I'd only gone and left in Esprit, 'cos I was too busy gassing. At this point Mr B has rolled his eyes, 'cos this is the first he's heard of this. The very nice man in the sports shop rang Esprit and they held it for me while I ran like a loon, to collect it. I was mortified!!

The guy at the sports shop tried to sell me a plot of land and asked me all about the UK as he wants to go and work there, hoping to make heaps of wonga and come back with $80,000, yeh right! I told him he'd have to sleep on the streets and eat beans!

I thought I'd done really well and nearly got stuff sorted this end until Mr B very kindly sent me an e-mail of about 10 things I haven't sorted yet, so next week must sort: driving licence, dog licence, medibank, centrelink, pet insurance etc etc etc.........

That's it for today
Jill

Old Aug 11th 2004, 8:34 am
Go Banana's !!

11th Aug

Yippie we have :scared: back !! gonna need him later, however he does seem a bit flat compared to his 3D counterparts. Actually have some time to myself now, while Midge plays with the traumatised Smudge.

Woke up with a mild to medium hangover after the solo bacardi breezer session last night . This was further compounded by the fact that it's tennis day today which starts at 7:45am. We've got used to the late starts compared to the UK so this is a bit of a bitch. Sporting dark glases we raced to tennis, need to be earlier next week, Midge missed the 5 min warm up run around which she loves, bad mom :lecture: I then came back and tidied the devistation we had left in our wake. A totally freaked Smudge broke wind when he saw me, I have that effect on Warren

Then took myself of to Karrinyup and bought myself some very nice Esprit trackie stuff (alot cheaper than the UK Esprit) Got a hoodie, long and short sleeved t-shirts and two pairs of trackie pants for $269, very good quality stuff. I then trotted off to the sports shop for a pair of trainers $150. It was at the sports shop that I felt the need to use this little guy :scared: my cheque card was nowhere to be seen, I'd only gone and left in Esprit, 'cos I was too busy gassing. At this point Mr B has rolled his eyes, 'cos this is the first he's heard of this. The very nice man in the sports shop rang Esprit and they held it for me while I ran like a loon, to collect it. I was mortified!!

The guy at the sports shop tried to sell me a plot of land and asked me all about the UK as he wants to go and work there, hoping to make heaps of wonga and come back with $80,000, yeh right! I told him he'd have to sleep on the streets and eat beans!

I thought I'd done really well and nearly got stuff sorted this end until Mr B very kindly sent me an e-mail of about 10 things I haven't sorted yet, so next week must sort: driving licence, dog licence, medibank, centrelink, pet insurance etc etc etc.........

That's it for today
Jill
You were right Jilly.....at that point I did roll my eyes !! Nothing changes eh !!!

Warren
:cool

Old Aug 11th 2004, 11:49 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Love it!!!!

Another addict!
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:30 pm
Carramar Perth

Springo is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Jill, Warren & Midge

This is great, it sometimes makes me feel that I am there with you.

We spent 3 weeks there in Feb this year, when reading your posts it keeps reminding me of the places we went to. Your diaries will keep me going until our Visa arrives. Thank you so much for your efforts. Please Please keep them coming.

All the best

Julia

PS Warren fingers crossed for the house sale.
Old Aug 11th 2004, 3:47 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Springo
Jill, Warren & Midge

This is great, it sometimes makes me feel that I am there with you.

We spent 3 weeks there in Feb this year, when reading your posts it keeps reminding me of the places we went to. Your diaries will keep me going until our Visa arrives. Thank you so much for your efforts. Please Please keep them coming.

All the best

Julia

PS Warren fingers crossed for the house sale.

Thanks, I'll post an update when I hear anything......its driving me mad !!

Old Aug 12th 2004, 9:53 am
Go Banana's !!

12th Aug

Had another lovely day today, this is getting to be a bit of a habit.

Spent the morning cooking and pottering and then the 'girlies' decended, Smudge is still recovering

We have now decided that coffee mornings are not enough and are about to embark on the new craze to hit Oz - Pole Dancing excersise classes, get ya pelvic floors ready girls, this is set to be very funny.

Seriously 'our chat ins' are going to become roaming, so what out we could be in a suburb near you Catch us on the beach, at shopping malls or maybe even airport welcolming commitees hey Warren

Hopefully even with pictures...............................

Thanks for your lovely company girls, but please bring the pads next time Siren!

Jill

Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:02 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, great fun!
Hope I don't have to work next week!

Rental people haven't called back yet about us maybe having a dog....!!
(and people, we decided this BEFORE I saw Smudge, who is the cuttest thing ever, Maggy'll put a pic up!)

Thanks Jill
Old Aug 12th 2004, 10:20 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Simone
Yep, great fun!
Hope I don't have to work next week!

Rental people haven't called back yet about us maybe having a dog....!!
(and people, we decided this BEFORE I saw Smudge, who is the cuttest thing ever, Maggy'll put a pic up!)

Thanks Jill

Can't wait to see the photo of smudge as I have only seen his face on the webcam so far.......

Update on house following next......

Warren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.