Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

The Banana Diaries, a liitle slice of life Down Under - updated regularly.

Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:06 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
Maybe if you really insist

God I was fumming.

Let me just get soemthing to eat and I'll come back to you with todays events

Jill
OK, but eat quick now won't you
del
Forum Regular

del is an unknown quantity at this point

Jill, for every 1 person who's trying to "piss on your parade", remember that there are probably
99 others who enjoy your account of things. Keep going.
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Please don't stop your online diary, i love reading all you write the good and the bad bits!
By the way, i too found the post by wombat42 offensive, it makes Chanelle and I both nerds not to mention the countless millions who learn a lot from reading books, maybe wombat should take a leaf out of their book!
Rach x
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:20 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jill,

I've been logging onto this site every day and hopping straight to this thread - just to read your updates. They are brillliant! Please keep them up.

W.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat42
Pommie children may be brighter then Aussie childeren as you say, but at least Aussie children are not nerd book worms, stuck indoors all day because of crap cold weather, a recent study showed that Aussie kids are taller and more healthy then Pommie kids.
Bollocks. I saw loads of little fat & rude Aussie kids when I was there a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 12:33 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Amazulu
Bollocks. I saw loads of little fat & rude Aussie kids when I was there a few weeks ago.
For Chrissakes people, stop falling for Wombat42's crap. Do yourselves a favour.

There's rude and fat kids everywhere, to be honest. Probably more of them per capita here in the US than anywhere else.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:01 pm
Rose-tinted specs anyone?

Sarsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wanderlust
Hi Jill,

I've been logging onto this site every day and hopping straight to this thread - just to read your updates. They are brillliant! Please keep them up.

W.

Hear! Hear!

Your thread, your experiences, your slant on things. That's how the vast majority of us view your posts and how we would love to continue to view your posts - PLEASE continue with your diary!

Until we get out there ourselves we need posts like yours - they keep us going during the long (seemingly) unending wait!

Please keep your Pepys up!

Sarsa
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Dels right

I am not a very vocal person and tend only to reply to threads if I think I have something to add. But have been keeping tabs on your new life and I for one have been very interested in the school situation. I have 3 children of very mixed abilities and my daughter is about 2 years above her age group (they other 2 are of average ability), therefore it was of interest to me. To say that one country is more advanced than another individual opinions. With different teaching methods/timescales it would be very hard to judge. If the children acheive to their best ability who cares.

Go Bananas only wants the best for her child and I for one cant blame her. Keep up the threads and ignore the crap if they want to fight about whos better than who let them start there own thread. This one is not about that.

Cheers Jo
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:06 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Thought we'd lost you for a minute there Jill. Pleeeeeaaaasssseeee don't stop posting your thoughts.

You raised a valid and important point about the Oz education system. So it was your experience, and not a fully audited survey of education down under - your experience is good enough for me!

If Littlun is a nerdy bookworm, then so am I, and blinkin proud of it. Oh, and I'm 5'10, so bang goes that theory on stumpy pommes

I think it is really important to hear a day by day account from someone who is actually there living it - it's more real, more tangible than a six-monthly update, for example.

So wave an angry fist at the dissenters and keep posting!
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:11 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi Jill,

Please, please, please keep your posts coming, (said on bended knees!), I love reading your diary and that's the first thread I check when I sign on. We're moving to Perth in 26 days time and it's wonderful to see what we have to look forward to.

Finish your lunch and post away. Your avid fans are waiting!

Colleen
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:30 pm
Go Banana's !!

5th Aug - I think? is it, can't remember.

Thanks peeps for your kind comments, I probably overreacted but really didn't want to get into a row with someone - case closed.

My ego has had a good massage anyway - wish something else was getting massaged - god I miss Warren. Did the flash ya tits thing again to him today on his webcam. It was so funny to see his startled look - with delay. I'd forgotton he was at work!!!!!

eh hemmm get back to the place where people with moral fibre are Jill - sorry.

I've had a loveleeeeeeeeeeeeeee day today. Aunty took littlen' to school for me and I had a long soak in the bath and scared the dog with the face pack, so much he was sick. You'd think he'd be used to scary things, seeing me every morning. Then went through the post and the truck load of school details that are starting to arrive, quite fun actually, but as someone pointed out to me tonight, 2010 is a long way off and the school could be a hell hole by then so promise guys I won't get too het up by it all, just going to enjoy all the open days.

Then a went off to a certain posters house for 'tea and chat' I really had a lovely time with you guys, you know who you are. In the rare moments I didn't have my gob working overtime, I did sit and reflect, how lucky I was to have met such lovely and interesting people so soon. It was a shame I had to leave and pick littlen' up. Anyway it's tea and chat round at mine next week. BTW - can we make it Thursday as I've double booked!!! sorry. How cool is that!, here's me thinking (only briefly I might add) that I might be bored!!!.

FINALLY HOORAHH I have booked a hair appointment. Now this may sound totally crazy, but I'm going all the way down to Cottlesloe - it's always an event when I get my hair done and being in Oz will be no exeption, some traditions I am going to cling to.

It is actually only the same journey as going into town to get my hair done back in the uk. The reason I am doing this is because the salon is an Aveda Concept Salon, which is the same as the one in the uk I used to use and I like the smell of the shampoos (I bought a bucket load with me and was thrilled to find a salon in WA).

They give you a head, shoulder and neck massage and because I'm having a cut and colour (oh dear god this should be funny) I get a free 1/2 hour treatment of my chioce - they do beauty stuff too. It's totally organic stuff - really yummy. They have a website if anyone is interested
www.aveda.com
Then if yoiu click on find a location and then the Aussie flag you can then locate where your nearest one is. The concept salon also has it's own website and I got a price list so there will be no nasty shocks. It' isn't too bad, about the same as I used to spend in the Uk. For me going to the hairdressers is an event - hopefully without a 'side show' of a haircut.

If I get time I'm also going to explore the southern suburbs as one of the schools I like is down there and it could be that we like it and we move down in the future, but for now I think we'll stay up North.

Also contacted 'The Wheelie Bin Washing Man' who comes around after the bins have been emptied and washes your wheelie bin out for $3! Mrs Bucket thinks that's great - the guy's a pom too had a good chat with him, he's been here 14 years and has lost none of his Liverpudlian accent - great

Swmming would have been great tonight if moi had gone at the right time!! we turned up at 4:30pm instead of 4pm, madam was not impressed, but they let her stay and play with the others and are giving us the lesson money back!!! for next time. They thought it was hilarious and all know me on first name terms and ask about Warren and the house. It was only our first lesson last week - but I think I'm hard to forget

I sit with a lovely couple and Midge gets on with their two boys lovely, so week after next we are all off to a show and some fod after swimming. This is the lady I double booked with!

I needed today, to settle, to chill and to spend it with some lovely people, who make being in Australia better every day. I am truly blessed and stunned that they choose to spend their time with me. I just wish they would stop complaining that the ropes I have tied around their wrists and behind their back, hurt so much.

Jill

Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Go Banana's !!
It is actually only the same journey as going into town to get my hair done back in the uk. The reason I am doing this is because the salon is an Aveda Concept Salon, which is the same as the one in the uk I used to use and I like the smell of the shampoos (I bought a bucket load with me and was thrilled to find a salon in WA).

They give you a head, shoulder and neck massage and because I'm having a cut and colour (oh dear god this should be funny) I get a free 1/2 hour treatment of my chioce - they do beauty stuff too. It's totally organic stuff - really yummy. They have a website if anyone is interested
www.aveda.com

Can I just say I have never been so happy to read a post in all the weeks I have been coming here.....

I went and had my hair done the day before yesterday and the salon I go to is an Aveda salon as well....I love the products...best I have ever used.....None of the girls knew if you could get the products in Oz....You have no idea how happy I am....Just have to hope there is a salon in Bendigo.....Not much chance I guess....Will be a trip to Melbourne every 6 weeks, I guess....

Thanks again for making me an even happier camper...

Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:38 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did a search......

There is a salon in Bendigo!!!!! :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:46 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by Hels
I just did a search......

There is a salon in Bendigo!!!!! :PARTY: :PARTY: :PARTY:

I'm thrilled for you too.

BTW - The Mud Pie from the Cheesecake Company for littlen's birthday was stunning forgot to mention that

Jill

Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:47 pm
Go Banana's !!

The new signature is specially for you Mairi

Jill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.