Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

OP here. Many thanks to all those who responded. I am in Australia only on a fact-finding visit, so it was a surprise when I found that bag-checking was widespread. As others have said, it seems to happen in no other country.

I am heartened to hear that many (most?) of you do as I have done, and politely refuse to allow my bag to be checked.

I do think though, it is sad to see certain people targeted, presumably because the member of staff judges that they are more likely to have stolen something. These are typically the young. I was particularly sorry to see a boy of around 12 being stopped on his way out of a JB Hi-fi the other day.

Anyway, on the strength of your replies, I shall continue to walk if challenged.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teejaydee
OP here. Many thanks to all those who responded. I am in Australia only on a fact-finding visit, so it was a surprise when I found that bag-checking was widespread. As others have said, it seems to happen in no other country.

I am heartened to hear that many (most?) of you do as I have done, and politely refuse to allow my bag to be checked.

I do think though, it is sad to see certain people targeted, presumably because the member of staff judges that they are more likely to have stolen something. These are typically the young. I was particularly sorry to see a boy of around 12 being stopped on his way out of a JB Hi-fi the other day.

Anyway, on the strength of your replies, I shall continue to walk if challenged.
You're spot on about targeting - as any Aboriginal person in Perth would attest!

JB's are the bag-check Nazis. Big guy at the exit door - I've never seen anyone get through without being asked to open their bags. Mind you, I've only been there twice.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:26 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I get what you're saying about perspective and that's a good thing to keep in mind. Nevertheless, if you're having a rant about something and someone tosses in 'first world problem', that's hardly likely to improve your mood
Ha, very true! When friends are having a rant about something to me irl I don't think I have ever used it (might have thought it!) but I do think it sometimes when I find myself moaning about something.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a different understanding or acceptance of privacy in Australia. Looking in someone's bag that is not suspected as a shop lifter is seen as harmless. As is declaring to the customers around you what your prescription is (Chemist Warehouse). They are te worst, in my opinion. They too have the security guard doing bag checks. Even looking in the paper bag he just saw you get from the cashier with your prescription in it. I detest a security guard needing to know what medication I'm on.

In Ireland, I believe the law is that they need to see you put something into your bag before they can search it. That's probably one word against another but it means not everyone is treated like a possible shop lifter.

Maybe it's just a difference in culture that I feel this to be invasive, but it does make me feel a bit annoyed. Paying customers keep your company in business. They should be treated like royalty.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 10:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Ha, very true! When friends are having a rant about something to me irl I don't think I have ever used it (might have thought it!) but I do think it sometimes when I find myself moaning about something.
Same here! It's a great 'brake' when you're going off your trolley about something small. When friends do it, it's easy to let your eyes glaze over and think about something else - I view it as a sort of community service
Old Aug 15th 2014, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Well, in recent months the bureaucratic excitement myself and my neighbour had to go through to get a rotten and dangerous tree removed. Despite the fact that it was rotten and termite damaged through its core and had dropped a huge limb into my garden and was plainly dangerous, the council were unwilling to let it be removed because it still had some green leaves on it. Even the tree surgeon had condemned it and stated it was a danger to people in the case that it dropped more limbs. But we still had to go through a lengthy appeal process where we had to explain all of this, and detail how the tree was intruding into the sewer and undermining the foundations of the surrounding houses. Still no go. In the end it was only when we asked the council to assume responsibility for any future damage and/or injury that the tree may cause in the future did they decide that it should probably come down.

Another is the fact that I have discovered that I need to submit a full development application - architects drawings, environmental impact assessment, disability access assessment etc - so that I can repaint my front door a different colour.

And trying to get visitors parking permits so that I can have more than one car owner come over for dinner on a Saturday evening evening - also not a simple process. Lots of red tape and stuffing about for something that should be reasonably simple.

There's your starter for three

S
hmmm...as Chris might say, nothing we have to worry about. Do you have free-hold? We can paint our door whatever colour we like.
Over here, in theory there are things that need permits but the council will look the other way if you drop a tree quietly in the night. You would have to be dobbed in really to get in to trouble or get rid of a lot of trees.

In fact I am amazed that in general, people tend to do things without permits.
I would be inclined to check first.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 12:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
hmmm...as Chris might say, nothing we have to worry about. Do you have free-hold? We can paint our door whatever colour we like.
Over here, in theory there are things that need permits but the council will look the other way if you drop a tree quietly in the night. You would have to be dobbed in really to get in to trouble or get rid of a lot of trees.

In fact I am amazed that in general, people tend to do things without permits.
I would be inclined to check first.
I've just remembered the scenario here where the local council will stipulate what you can do around trees.

Typically people will buy a big block and submit large scale plans to completely change the block, knock down a house, re-scape whole-sale etc. Build a pool. Take out an avenue of trees.

In this scenario the council will prescribe mitigation actions for the removal etc. My wife shakes her head and wonders why they didn't buy another property - and feels that they have the wrong idea.

But a single tree here or there just goes.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I have noticed that it is quite common when leaving a shop, for members of staff to ask to search the bags of customers. This happens routinely at JB Hi-fi shops, but I have also seen it at Woolworths, K-mart, and many others.

Although it seems to happen more to younger shoppers, I too have been asked on many occasions. In all cases the request has come when I have been leaving the shop without purchasing anything, but have been carrying a small rucksack on my back. Each time the staff member has been very polite, typically asking "do you mind if I do a quick bag check?".

In each case I have politely refused to allow the check, and carried on walking out of the shop. So far the shop assistant has allowed me to leave without further discussion.

I have two questions:

1. What do other forum members do when stopped? Do they allow their bags to be checked or do they refuse? I know many will adopt the usual "if there's nothing to hide, what's the problem?" response, but I find it objectionable to be suspected of being a thief.

2. Does anyone know what the law states? I know that in some shops there is a sign near the door saying it is a condition of entry that all customers must allow their bags to be checked upon request, but the bigger shops have no such sign.

it doesnt bother me.....Just carry a massive butt plug or dildo in your bag, they won't look any further.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

intersting thread.

I don't have aproblem showing receipts or opening my bag, if they demanded I empty my bag then I would refuse.

One of the posts linked a legal page, it does clearly say that you have the right to refuse however they will ask you to leave. They are not allowed to touch objects in your bag or I would imagine demand you empty your bag.

It’s important to note that not only can a customer refuse to undergo a bag check but in the event that the store forcibly conducts a search against the person’s wishes, a retailer may potentially find themselves in trouble for assault.

If a store has an absolute belief that a shop stealing offence has been committed, they can legally detain or search a customer but on the other hand if a customer has not stolen anything, the retailer may face an action of false imprisonment.
If this happened to me then I would be calling the police myself, while being assaulted, would make shit loads of noise, if they tried anything like a pat down then I would loudly ask why they were touching my bum or crotch. Then would press charges.

In saying that I have only ever had the guys ask me to open the bag, and 90% of the time it happens at JbHifi, a store which has the most expensive prices and rudest staff. I wouldnt even shop lift from JbHifi!
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
intersting thread.

I don't have aproblem showing receipts or opening my bag, if they demanded I empty my bag then I would refuse.

One of the posts linked a legal page, it does clearly say that you have the right to refuse however they will ask you to leave. They are not allowed to touch objects in your bag or I would imagine demand you empty your bag.
If this happened to me then I would be calling the police myself, while being assaulted, would make shit loads of noise, if they tried anything like a pat down then I would loudly ask why they were touching my bum or crotch. Then would press charges.

In saying that I have only ever had the guys ask me to open the bag, and 90% of the time it happens at JbHifi, a store which has the most expensive prices and rudest staff. I wouldnt even shop lift from JbHifi!
Yeah. I save my shoplifting for Harvey Normen because Gerry Harvey is a bogan preying twat.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 12:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
intersting thread.

Almost worth doing to see if they pick up on the irony of being asked to leave as you are in fact leaving.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Almost worth doing to see if they pick up on the irony of being asked to leave as you are in fact leaving.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:52 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by chris955