Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:40 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

When people say that to me (first world problem) I reply that I live in a first world country.

Without wanting to cause offence to the poster who used the phrase (can't remember who it was!), it's become one of those fashionable, convenient , throw-away responses that really don't say anything at all.
I dunno, I think it's sometimes useful for getting a bit of perspective when you feel yourself raging over really insignificant stuff; however, I agree that it can be used to prevent any dissent about anything and can be used a bit like way way back when grandparents would say, "eat all your dinner; there are starving children in the world!".
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:04 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
legally detain - when they absolutely know you committed an offence

But what's the definition of that 'absolute' term? In The UK it is 'reasonable grounds to suspect' that an [indictable] offence has been committed (and also seen committed).

If the burden of proof for a store detective is absolute, then I can't think how they would ever detain anybody?

S
Old Aug 12th 2014, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
But what's the definition of that 'absolute' term? In The UK it is 'reasonable grounds to suspect' that an [indictable] offence has been committed (and also seen committed).

If the burden of proof for a store detective is absolute, then I can't think how they would ever detain anybody?

S
Sounds an easy solution. Just keep walking. Assuming you haven't stolen anything, any physical detainment is assault.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:40 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Sounds an easy solution. Just keep walking. Assuming you haven't stolen anything, any physical detainment is assault.

Yeah, it certainly is...

S
Old Aug 12th 2014, 3:48 am
has lost The Game

Yeah, it certainly is...

S

Well, here's the situation in NSW: The Bagcheck Code of Practice for NSW The Bagcheck Code of Practice for NSW

Looks like Cert IV in Bag Checking is a must

Personally, it doesn't always bother me, but if I am weighed down with multiple bags, then I'll probably avoid the shop rather than enduring the rigmarole of going through a couple of bags. Then it becomes their loss...

S
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Well, here's the situation in NSW: The Bagcheck Code of Practice for NSW The Bagcheck Code of Practice for NSW

Looks like Cert IV in Bag Checking is a must

Personally, it doesn't always bother me, but if I am weighed down with multiple bags, then I'll probably avoid the shop rather than enduring the rigmarole of going through a couple of bags. Then it becomes their loss...

S
It says you can refuse. But then the shopkeeper can ask you to leave the property - you were leaving anyway.

Now this is open to interpretation. I certainly wouldn't want a sign like this outside my shop, but then again I wouldn't conduct bag searches because I would understand that my customers are the ones that put food on my families table.

Signage establishing entry conditions should be prominently
displayed at entrances to stores, be written in simple language
and should indicate:
ï‚· that agreeing to checks is a condition of entry; and
ï‚· that checks are done on bags, parcels, cartons and containers
Supplementary signage should indicate the shopkeeper's
commitment to the Bagcheck Guidelines, particularly in regard to
the checking of personal handbags.
The Bagcheck Guidelines Summary Statement will be
incorporated into any literature that the store manager provides
to customers on receipt of enquiries.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:25 am
has lost The Game

It says you can refuse. But then the shopkeeper can ask you to leave the property - you were leaving anyway.

Now this is open to interpretation. I certainly wouldn't want a sign like this outside my shop, but then again I wouldn't conduct bag searches because I would understand that my customers are the ones that put food on my families table.

Signage establishing entry conditions should be prominently
displayed at entrances to stores, be written in simple language
and should indicate:
ï‚· that agreeing to checks is a condition of entry; and
ï‚· that checks are done on bags, parcels, cartons and containers
Supplementary signage should indicate the shopkeeper's
commitment to the Bagcheck Guidelines, particularly in regard to
the checking of personal handbags.
The Bagcheck Guidelines Summary Statement will be
incorporated into any literature that the store manager provides
to customers on receipt of enquiries.

Come on - it's NSW, where even the simplest things need complex rules, regulations or codes of practice...

S
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Come on - it's NSW, where even the simplest things need complex rules, regulations or codes of practice...

S
Actually, these set of rules are so vague they aint worth the paper. Same with most of the Office of Fair trading rules. They are more guidelines than rules
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:21 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

No one has ever asked to look in my bag.

However; my 14 year old daughter and her friends always get checked.

I've seen people be checked and as long as they hold their bag open they get a cursory glance and waved on. It seems pointless to me!
Old Aug 12th 2014, 10:26 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

S
what does 'reasonable grounds to suspect' mean? mere suspicion? actual sighting? recorded sighting? if the 'reasonable grounds' turned out to be incorrect, can i sue for illegal detention?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commonwealth
what does 'reasonable grounds to suspect' mean? mere suspicion? actual sighting? recorded sighting? if the 'reasonable grounds' turned out to be incorrect, can i sue for illegal detention?
Apparently not in the UK. 'I arrest you on suspicion off . . . " its used as a way of detainment.

The US uses "I arrest you for ........"
Old Aug 12th 2014, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The impression I get is that staff who are employed to do these tasks are often not the sort of people who are necessarily quick over 40m or 100m let alone out to the carpark...you could probably lap a few times around the mall until they tire...

Even the Melbourne burly ticket inspectors are now instructed to not give chase - on the grounds of elfin safety -but there have been incidents where they have got a bit excited.

In shops, I just swing my bag in their direction - in most cases they are not interested and a helpful smile too helps.

Tell me about some of the rules in place for the simplest things Swervo!
Old Aug 12th 2014, 11:14 pm
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Tell me about some of the rules in place for the simplest things Swervo!

Well, in recent months the bureaucratic excitement myself and my neighbour had to go through to get a rotten and dangerous tree removed. Despite the fact that it was rotten and termite damaged through its core and had dropped a huge limb into my garden and was plainly dangerous, the council were unwilling to let it be removed because it still had some green leaves on it. Even the tree surgeon had condemned it and stated it was a danger to people in the case that it dropped more limbs. But we still had to go through a lengthy appeal process where we had to explain all of this, and detail how the tree was intruding into the sewer and undermining the foundations of the surrounding houses. Still no go. In the end it was only when we asked the council to assume responsibility for any future damage and/or injury that the tree may cause in the future did they decide that it should probably come down.

Another is the fact that I have discovered that I need to submit a full development application - architects drawings, environmental impact assessment, disability access assessment etc - so that I can repaint my front door a different colour.

And trying to get visitors parking permits so that I can have more than one car owner come over for dinner on a Saturday evening evening - also not a simple process. Lots of red tape and stuffing about for something that should be reasonably simple.

There's your starter for three

S
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately bureaucracy and red tape has been taken to a whole new level in Australia. Importing a vehicle is an obvious example.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 10:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I dunno, I think it's sometimes useful for getting a bit of perspective when you feel yourself raging over really insignificant stuff; however, I agree that it can be used to prevent any dissent about anything and can be used a bit like way way back when grandparents would say, "eat all your dinner; there are starving children in the world!".
I used to get that all the time from Mum, except it was the starving children in Africa (obviously, Mum thought that all children in other countries were well fed)

I get what you're saying about perspective and that's a good thing to keep in mind. Nevertheless, if you're having a rant about something and someone tosses in 'first world problem', that's hardly likely to improve your mood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.