Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Old Aug 10th 2014, 10:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
If the security guard gets adamant I say to him he has the right to detain me and call the police, I'm hoping one day one of them does, I'd love to sue one of the big retailers :-)
Suing them would be a complete waste of time: they're entirely within their rights to check your bags, detain you, and call the police if they consider it necessary.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 2:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

i used to have real issues with bag searching, but as I rarely shop here now except for food, its been a long time since its happened to me.
Used to really annoy me as I would be carrying laptop and all my gear for work, wearing an Emergency Services uniform, heading for a bus stop, and they would want the whole rucksack unpacked. One of my tricks was to stick an open tampon box on the top, tat scared off all the youngsters from wanting to look deeper!
One of the supermarkets we used always wanted my handbag emptied, so thats what they got. Upended and emptied.... so they couldn't serve anyone till I'd slowly packed it again.
I finally blew my lid when a store ordered me to remove my jacket at the checkout. I was ill, high temperature and shivering inside the jacket, and had bad eczema on my arms. Fetching security to ensure I removed my jacket meant I never shopped there again, and my language ensured that the checkout guy ought never to humiliate someone like that again. Never even got an apology from the store and as a result I now shop 90% online.

Its an appalling random policy and they tend to target people who aren't likely to argue, while teenage gangs just wander past laughing.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 3:11 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Pollyana;11364391]
I finally blew my lid when a store ordered me to remove my jacket at the checkout. I was ill, high temperature and shivering inside the jacket, and had bad eczema on my arms. Fetching security to ensure I removed my jacket meant I never shopped there again, and my language ensured that the checkout guy ought never to humiliate someone like that again. Never even got an apology from the store and as a result I now shop 90% online.
QUOTE]

That's absolutely disgraceful Name and shame them Polly, the bastards.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:30 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Suing them would be a complete waste of time: they're entirely within their rights to check your bags, detain you, and call the police if they consider it necessary.
The law page linked to earlier seems to suggest that they are entirely within their rights to make bag searches a condition of your entry but that if you refuse they can ask you to leave or detain you. If they detain you for a search and you have not stolen anything they are then open to false imprisonment.

I get why you might say it doesn't matter and it doesn't bother you but I object to the practice because I know the security guard or checkout operator is likely to ask some people more than others and it is probably similar to the UK stop and search laws in that respect. Plus, it contributes to a culture of mistrust; it's just not nice. The first time my teen was asked coming out of Kmart she was mortified: "Mum, he thinks I *stole* something".
Old Aug 10th 2014, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
The law page linked to earlier seems to suggest that they are entirely within their rights to make bag searches a condition of your entry but that if you refuse they can ask you to leave or detain you. If they detain you for a search and you have not stolen anything they are then open to false imprisonment.

I get why you might say it doesn't matter and it doesn't bother you but I object to the practice because I know the security guard or checkout operator is likely to ask some people more than others and it is probably similar to the UK stop and search laws in that respect. Plus, it contributes to a culture of mistrust; it's just not nice. The first time my teen was asked coming out of Kmart she was mortified: "Mum, he thinks I *stole* something".

Correct I've gone right into this, as I do walk when they ask to look at anything I'm carrying. It is definitely within their legal rights to ask to search in your bag, and indeed look, "without touching" in your bag. If you refuse and walk, the most likely outcome is a ban from that particular supermarket, as for detaining, It's only legal to physically detain you if you've definitely stolen something. They can request assertively that you stay. So I'll just continue to walk, as I think it shows a blanket mistrust to all shoppers. Personally I think they should beef up their store security with better cameras and be 100 pct certain of people stealing, before this blanket approach.

No one has ever gone to grab me, I've walked past security with my eyes locked on theres, whilst the cashiers are calling out for me to come back. I've not been banned either. Probably used to me at our local places.

I reiterate I have a real issue with this aspect of Australian culture.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 11:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Bag checks when leaving Australian shops

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I get why you might say it doesn't matter and it doesn't bother you but I object to the practice because I know the security guard or checkout operator is likely to ask some people more than others
When I lived in Walsall, the warehouse store I mentioned earlier required everyone to display their receipt and open their bag before leaving the store. No exceptions.

and it is probably similar to the UK stop and search laws in that respect.
I've never seen any evidence of this.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Nope. And thats a big NOPE. Ive caused great scenes coming out of JBHIFI. I refuse to let someone look inside my personal propety. I don't care what they say or do.

and its appalling customer trust too. Customers are these shops best assets.
Me too. I have only been asked once or twice, I refuse to stand there like a criminal and have someone rifle through my bags. I say no and walk on and if they want to detain me on their heads be it.

I also don't care what sign they put up, most people probably don't even see it and it certainly does not make a binding contract. Or they could sue me for breach of contract, but they are not looking in my bags.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Aug 10th 2014 at 11:34 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Me too. I have only been asked once or twice, I refuse to stand there like a criminal and have someone rifle through my bags. I say no and walk on and if they want to detain me on their heads be it.

I also don't care what sigh they put up, most people probably don't even see it and it certainly does not make a binding contract. Or they could sue me for breach if contract, but they are not looking in my bags.
Yep...... to put a sign up as a condition of entry, well big deal. Sorry my eyes weren't in top shape today OR I am dyslexic. If they are serious they can get you to sign, yes that's right, sign consent that you will agree to a bag search upon exit.

What's wrong with this detectors that beep and buzz if you walk out with an item? Surely passing through those provides a better customer experience than some nightclub bouncer asking to rifle through your bags.

Just keep walking - its lots of fun too
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:49 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've never seen any evidence of this.
Well, then it can't exist.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Its a minor annoyance and doesn't really bother me but whenever its happened to me they've only given the bag a very cursory glance. I could easily have had a stack of DVDs hidden in there. So not only silly but also completely pointless.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

EnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to beholdEnglishLass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
Its a minor annoyance and doesn't really bother me but whenever its happened to me they've only given the bag a very cursory glance. I could easily have had a stack of DVDs hidden in there. So not only silly but also completely pointless.
Same, they generally give a quick glance at the top of my large and very full handbag and never ever have they actually touched it. I could have half the shop in my bag.

Also, the door detector things at KMart always beep when I go thru and the staff just say oh you're fine, don't worry about it. I must look very innocent and law abiding.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:18 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80

Largely my experience of it too - A completely worthless security measure that largely seems to focus on decent people, rather than large groups of youths, school kids etc. The security staff usually select people to avoid confrontation.

S
Old Aug 11th 2014, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Take JB-HIFI, there's barely anything of any worth you can just walk out with anyway.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a fan of the bag check, however just open it on the way past, its pretty ridiculous because if you were going to pinch something you wouldn't put it in the bag you know they would check. Stupid really.

All 3 of the boys worked in retail casual jobs while at school, the hardware giant was amazing, people would try to steal everything, paint, toilets, power tools constantly.... Some pretty good security measures in place you are being watched. Even the staff could not walk out with their aprons in case anything was stuffed in them. Returning broken, old stuff was equally a problem, buy new then return old for a refund, used toilet bits included

One son worked in a supermarket, people stuffing products particuarly meat!! down their clothing was a huge problem.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 4:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
One son worked in a supermarket, people stuffing products particuarly meat!! down their clothing was a huge problem.
Saw this recently in Woolies! My OH actually told the security guard...who did nothing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.