Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Badge's cheap as chips airfares to the UK

Badge's cheap as chips airfares to the UK

Old Aug 5th 2013, 8:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Badge's cheap as chips airfares to the UK

Badge, on their website Royal Brunei Air is offering US$1,313 return for a few days at the beginning of October -
route Melbourne/Brunei/Dubai/Heathrow, same coming back.

Edit, on Wego.au this flight is AUD$1,357, including all taxes. That's for flights leaving at the beginning of October and returning around 3 weeks later.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 5th 2013 at 9:23 am.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's kind of hard work.

You need to get two ducks in a row - a cheap price from Australia to a SE Asia hub, and a cheap price from the hub to London. As you know, the cheapy Oz airlines have 'sales' where there are some sensible prices to SE Asia destinations, but the chances of cheap onward fares being available at sale prices at the same time, are low.

Therefore you are looking out for the Oz>SE Asia when you can get it, and then either hoping for a good price onward ticket, or paying the usual price.

All up, you *might* get a reasonable price, but then again you might find that a cheapo ticket all the way through is a better bet - only one duck to line up.

Either way, you are unlikely to reach the prices Lon>Mel - so if you are planning on trips less than 12 months apart, get the ticket the other way round.
Garry, this intrigues me, how does it work?
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Garry, this intrigues me, how does it work?
Basically you get to the UK somehow (eg when you migrate). Then you travel to Oz on a UK>Oz ticket, with the return booked for later in the year. It's best if you can book this exactly when you need it, but if not you need to book with someone who will allow you to change the date for a low/no fee.

The fun comes in that you need to book the ticket far enough ahead that you can get a good price, but you can only book the return a maximum of 12 months ahead. So if you need to book 3 months out for the price, you can only get the return for 9 months after the outward portion. Hence the need for a changeable date.

Would be much more sensible if they had longer validity tickets available, but if you are making a regular trip (see family, check on property, etc.) it can make sense ($1000 for known airline vs $2000 for the reverse trip).
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:40 am
Concierge

Basically you get to the UK somehow (eg when you migrate). Then you travel to Oz on a UK>Oz ticket, with the return booked for later in the year. It's best if you can book this exactly when you need it, but if not you need to book with someone who will allow you to change the date for a low/no fee.

The fun comes in that you need to book the ticket far enough ahead that you can get a good price, but you can only book the return a maximum of 12 months ahead. So if you need to book 3 months out for the price, you can only get the return for 9 months after the outward portion. Hence the need for a changeable date.

Would be much more sensible if they had longer validity tickets available, but if you are making a regular trip (see family, check on property, etc.) it can make sense ($1000 for known airline vs $2000 for the reverse trip).
I see! Very handy to know, thanks
Old Aug 5th 2013, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I see! Very handy to know, thanks
I'm doing it that way. single BNE - LHR for Oct cost me twice as much as the return I bought LHR-BNE-LHR which takes care of my next trip Just changed the website from Qantas Au to Qantas UK and halved the price!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:15 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm doing it that way. single BNE - LHR for Oct cost me twice as much as the return I bought LHR-BNE-LHR which takes care of my next trip Just changed the website from Qantas Au to Qantas UK and halved the price!
Forget the ACCC going after Adobe and Google, why don't they ask the hard questions about the behaviour of qantas? Surely there is some proto-MP that would like to make a name for themselves this election season by pointing up how much aussies are ripped off on flights?

And the situation of singles vs returns is nearly as bad. I was going to get a single this time and stay in Oz for a few years - but it was basically the same price to get the return.

It seems that the price has no relation to the cost at all.
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:51 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I wonder if this would work for my Christmas trip. Single there before, and then an open ended return back to Aus in early January...

S
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmmm. I wonder if this would work for my Christmas trip. Single there before, and then an open ended return back to Aus in early January...

S
I know that I got to fly back to the UK on the 22nd Dec on qantas because it was the return leg of a £700 ticket and apparently they don't price on the basis of the return leg season...

There seem to be strange things like this, with their pricing algorithms being so complex in trying to screw you out of a dollar that they don't actually understand it themselves.

BTW open returns are often silly money (they think you are a business traveller), but you can sometimes get the cheap tickets where it's $50 to change dates on the return half. You have to be careful and check though - otherwise you are stuck flying when the return is booked for. If you can change the date you can push it out to a maximum of 12 months from the outbound leg, even if you couldn't book it at the time (3 months out from the outward leg).
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I know that I got to fly back to the UK on the 22nd Dec on qantas because it was the return leg of a £700 ticket and apparently they don't price on the basis of the return leg season...

There seem to be strange things like this, with their pricing algorithms being so complex in trying to screw you out of a dollar that they don't actually understand it themselves.

BTW open returns are often silly money (they think you are a business traveller), but you can sometimes get the cheap tickets where it's $50 to change dates on the return half. You have to be careful and check though - otherwise you are stuck flying when the return is booked for. If you can change the date you can push it out to a maximum of 12 months from the outbound leg, even if you couldn't book it at the time (3 months out from the outward leg).

Yeah, just looking at it now - It seems that I can't book a return lag any later than July 2014, so I will have to see about which airlines allow a change for minimal cost...

S
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:51 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Yeah, just looking at it now - It seems that I can't book a return lag any later than July 2014, so I will have to see about which airlines allow a change for minimal cost...

S
The trick is a number of airlines don't even appear a year out, they can only be 9 months. It can be better to find an airline with the right fare rules (re changing date) and book earlier in the year, then move later. Only issue if when you move it to is at a high price point (eg summer holidays).

As I say, too damn complex for them to know what they are actually doing.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:25 am
has lost The Game

The trick is a number of airlines don't even appear a year out, they can only be 9 months. It can be better to find an airline with the right fare rules (re changing date) and book earlier in the year, then move later. Only issue if when you move it to is at a high price point (eg summer holidays).

As I say, too damn complex for them to know what they are actually doing.

Yes, I've run several different options, and I can't make any appreciable saving. I can fly out from SYD via Peking with Air China, and back again for AU$2505, or I can **** about trying to match up flights from different ends for about the same price.

I think that as it's Christmas, I'll just do the simple option this time...

S
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:46 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Yes, I've run several different options, and I can't make any appreciable saving. I can fly out from SYD via Peking with Air China, and back again for AU$2505, or I can **** about trying to match up flights from different ends for about the same price.

I think that as it's Christmas, I'll just do the simple option this time...
Just to give an idea of the tricks that can be played, if you were flying Lon>Syd - flying out at the end of Oct and back 23 Dec (eg just before Christmas), they you could get Emirates for £914 ($1572), Qantas for £873 ($1501) or Air India for £760 ($1307).

Considering that's only a few months away for the outward leg, and the return leg is the height of the high season, it's worth remembering if the circumstances match. Hell, with careful timing on sales you could probably find in cheaper to do two UK>Oz flights than one Oz>UK.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Emirates is alot cheaper now than it was a couple of weeks ago. For example 2 weeks ago, 2 adults, 1 child, 1 infant $9500 for Adelaide to Manchester return, on Sunday we booked same flight for $6130 to travel in December. I'd have been pretty sick if I'd have paid the higher price