Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back from Melbourne, Perth next - what to do there?

Back from Melbourne, Perth next - what to do there?

Old Apr 30th 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Back from Melbourne, Perth next - what to do there?

Many thanks to those who offered their time & nuggets of information on what to do during our Easter reconnoitre/getaway to Melbourne. The wife and I had an excellent time (after the leak in the house was plugged, of course - the first few days were hopelessly wasted chasing after the plumber and the relevant tradesmen, sigh).

We've now booked a trip to Perth in June - if only to check out Dorothy's doom & gloom tales of how far the state has fallen, and just how bad things are - but also because a diabolical idea has been brewing in (this over-active and under-utilized bowl of semi-cooked congee in between my ears that doctors sometimes refer to as a) "brain" of mine.

If things are really, truly, veritably as horrific in Perth as she-who-has-the-cute-nickname-of-a-dam-building-semi-aquatic-furry-mammal claims, I would hope that property prices could similarly be depressed. Now, I've asked a mate of mine who was from Perth many years ago but is presently stationed in Singapore about suburbs close to the airport, and Subiaco came up as a rather trendy (and from memory - his, not mine - rather expensive) option.

If the economy is shot to pieces, perhaps - just perhaps - sellers are more willing to negotiate, and the prices listed on doman.com.au might be more reflective of hopeful persuasion, rather than a starting bid.

And, if the price (and location) is right, perhaps a small but hopefully decent one or two bedroom apartment in the $500K range might be ripe for the picking - and Perth is by far heck a lot of closer to Singapore if we ever wanna consider doing a visa run as a way to keep the 189 alive.

Why all this trouble? Because $500K is still a lot less than $5M required for the 188 when/if/should/God forbid the 189 runs out and I'm up a creek without a paddle for the RRV.

So, in a similar vein to our Easter break to Melbourne, the first week or so in Perth will be wasted on housing agents and apartment browsing in Subiaco. I only have a week allotted for that purpose, so I'm only looking at Subiaco - unless anyone here has any other good suburb suggestions they'd like to share, please?

Anyway, after that one week, we intend to get our holiday proper on track. We should have another week in Perth, and we would be ever so grateful for any suggestions for a (second) week well spent. To be honest, while we fly over to Australia at least half a dozen times a year, most of that is to Sydney, where family is. Melbourne is the only other place we visit, and then, only if there's a problem at the house that is more than what the agent is authorized to deal with. So far, in the last 10 years, we've only had to visit Melbourne thrice - so, thank Grud for double-bricked, fair-dinkum, Australian quality builds. The last time we found ourselves in Perth was 10 years ago - and from memory (mine, not my mate's this time), Perth was a very busy, thriving, throbbing city on the verge of great things.

Here's what what we've planned for the second part of the trip:

1. Friday Fremantle market - we'll spend a whole day there and she'll spend all that time filling the rental car with junk and purchases she'll probably never ever find use for. It happened at Queen Victoria Market, it will happen again.

2. Charter a yacht for a day trip to Rottnest island - and hope we don't get caught/fined for cuddling a Quokka - or get my nose bitten off when trying to taking a selfie with one. We did that 10 years ago (the yacht ride, not the furry marsupial cuddling), but back then, Quokkas weren't an internet hit and it is with bitter regret that I hadn't thought to molest them then .

3. A drive to Margaret River and spend a day getting utterly, completely rat-faced. That might actually stretch to 2 days, who knows.

That's about all I can think of to do in & around Perth (OK, so Margaret River is a "little further" away). Any other suggestions/hints/warnings would be most welcomed!
Old Apr 30th 2017, 4:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back from Melbourne, Perth next - what to do there?

One night in Margaret River isn't enough - it'll take 4 hours to drive there so plan on spending a couple of nights. The actual town of MR is a bit overrated in my opinion - better to travel to a few wineries for lunch and imbibing. Some very nice beaches within striking distance too, especially for surfing if you're so inclined. Depending on how much time you have, Albany is worth a visit for experiencing a rather quaint town/city - it has a lot of retirees from Perth as well as farms from throughout WA, but has fantastic beaches and some nice restaurants and cafes. Albany's about 1 hour from Margaret River. If tall timber and bush is your thing, consider Pemberton - some beautiful restaurants and bush walks.

The Swan Valley is very close to Perth CBD, worth a visit for (again!) wineries and food.

Good base while you're in Perth - Subi isn't bad, but I'd prefer Mount Lawley. A nicer café strip and like Subi, a stones throw from Perth CBD. Mount Lawley has the added advantage of Hyde Park, which is beyond beautiful, and it's within walking distance of Highgate which has the best pub in Perth (IMO!), the Queens Hotel. Mount Lawley is also close to Northbridge, which is where you want to be if you enjoy vibrant and varied nightlife (restaurant, pubs, clubs). Northbridge can be a bit 'naughty' in the wee small hours, but most sensible people are home by then

Any specific questions, just ask. Perth's my home town
Old Apr 30th 2017, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

For 500k you will get a lot these days. I sold my place last year for a less than 400k. A brand speaking new house next to the beach with killer views and all the up grades imaginable from a stand alone Italian bath to stone floors. 50 minutes from the airport. That's about 200k less than it cost to build.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 4:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
For 500k you will get a lot these days. I sold my place last year for a less than 400k. A brand speaking new house next to the beach with killer views and all the up grades imaginable from a stand alone Italian bath to stone floors. 50 minutes from the airport. That's about 200k less than it cost to build.
Where was that, Stormy?
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Will add:
Freo market, probably the crapest market the planet has to offer. Don't bother unless you are really into getting a boomerang made in China.
You will need more than a day for Margaret River. Some decent food, but most of the wines available to taste are very much aimed the tourists to the extent a significant number of the wineries only exist for it. But some very pretty settings.
Though, if going now, bear in mind it is almost winter and the area does get cold and wet and a number of places close for the season.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Where was that, Stormy?
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-wa-dawesville-121963642
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

One night in Margaret River isn't enough - it'll take 4 hours to drive there so plan on spending a couple of nights. The actual town of MR is a bit overrated in my opinion - better to travel to a few wineries for lunch and imbibing. Some very nice beaches within striking distance too, especially for surfing if you're so inclined. Depending on how much time you have, Albany is worth a visit for experiencing a rather quaint town/city - it has a lot of retirees from Perth as well as farms from throughout WA, but has fantastic beaches and some nice restaurants and cafes. Albany's about 1 hour from Margaret River. If tall timber and bush is your thing, consider Pemberton - some beautiful restaurants and bush walks.

The Swan Valley is very close to Perth CBD, worth a visit for (again!) wineries and food.

Good base while you're in Perth - Subi isn't bad, but I'd prefer Mount Lawley. A nicer café strip and like Subi, a stones throw from Perth CBD. Mount Lawley has the added advantage of Hyde Park, which is beyond beautiful, and it's within walking distance of Highgate which has the best pub in Perth (IMO!), the Queens Hotel. Mount Lawley is also close to Northbridge, which is where you want to be if you enjoy vibrant and varied nightlife (restaurant, pubs, clubs). Northbridge can be a bit 'naughty' in the wee small hours, but most sensible people are home by then

Any specific questions, just ask. Perth's my home town
Oh, you are such a dear! I tried the old karma button, but apparently, I have to spread the love around somewhat before I could pass you (some) more.

I'll take note of Mount Lawley - and I certainly remember Northbridge from the visit a decade ago! The Swan River is a good tip - silly how I totally blanked out on that. I might jolly well ditch old Maggie and just get shitfaced on the Swan then - 4 hours of driving there might be fine, but last I remember, the police don't take too kindly to raised blood alcohol limits on the way back to Perth, and RBTs are all too common on the roads these days.

Any idea on the likelihood of catching a migrating humpback or two off the coast of Fremantle? That's something doable that wouldn't require me to drive for hours (WA is *huge* and the distances are *ginormous*) from Perth.
Old Apr 30th 2017, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by verystormy
Oooh, that sounded absolutely smashing! I bet the buyer was pleased as punch with his purchase!

And thanks for the tip on the crap that's the Freo market. The missus isn't really keen on boomerangs from China - she was under the impression that it would be a bit like Camden Market in North London when we lived there ages ago: quaint little retro shops selling all sorts of trinkets and stuff that reminded us of a childhood long lost. At least that's what the blurb on Fremantle Market said!

And I had a look at the link you shared: breathtaking view! A tad too far away from the airport for a viable visa run, but goodness gracious me, that view! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by xizzles; Apr 30th 2017 at 6:06 pm. Reason: added comment re house
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Bloodyseppo is an unknown quantity at this point

Your original post said you were looking for something close to the airport? Not sure how firm that criteria is, but Subiaco is nowhere near the airport.

Do you have any "must have" criteria for your suburb selection?
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

One night in Margaret River isn't ......

Depending on how much time you have, Albany is worth a visit for experiencing a rather quaint town/city - it has a lot of retirees from Perth as well as farms from throughout WA, but has fantastic beaches and some nice restaurants and cafes. Albany's about 1 hour from Margaret River. If tall timber and bush is your thing, consider Pemberton - some beautiful restaurants and bush walks.

Albany is four hours from Margaret River, not one.

As a Regional West Australian let me just say there is so much more to this state than just Perth and wine . . .

For tourists, winter is the wrong time to come south of Perth, because it does get very cold (below freezing many nights) and so you can't go swimming on those fabulous beaches. Also, many of the buildings (even a lot of upscale hotels) aren't built for the cold and it does get nippy indoors. Winter is also the rainy season in the south and it does get very, very wet.

I would recommend north. If you can squeeze in two weeks - go north to Exmouth (two days' drive from Perth, overnight in Carnarvon, spend some time in the Kennedy Ranges), then after spending some time at Coral Bay and Ningaloo, cross east to Karijini, then back to Perth on the inland road (overnight in Cue). Not a trip you will ever forget.

If you really can only manage a week - for something different try a Wheatbelt loop. Go east from Perth through Toodyay/York (about 90 mins / 2 hours from Perth) to Wave Rock (about 4 hours from Perth), and then north to Cervantes (the Pinnacles) and Jurien Bay (3 hours from Perth). I quite enjoy Coolgardie and Kalgoorlie, if you could add it on as an extension from Wave Rock, there is a 300 km unsealed road right through the Great Western Woodlands linking Hyden with Norseman, but it is a fantastic unsealed road, 2WD suitable, the Shire of Dundas specifically maintains it for tourists and there are about 20 signposted sites along the 300 km. Then when you get to Norseman you can go north to Kalgoorlie, then take the Great Eastern Highway back towards Perth, then loop north and end at the Pinnacles and Jurien Bay. But Kalgoorlie might be a bit much for a week if you're already doing Perth and Rotto, but the other part (Wave Rock / Pinnacles) can easily be done in 3-4 days.

If you are coming in August/September that is also wildflower season and the Wheatbelt and Mid West will be alive with them.

Don't worry about the wine you can stock up in the Perth Hills on your way east or the Swan Valley on your way north.

Last edited by old.sparkles; May 2nd 2017 at 12:16 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bloodyseppo
Your original post said you were looking for something close to the airport? Not sure how firm that criteria is, but Subiaco is nowhere near the airport.

Do you have any "must have" criteria for your suburb selection?
Yeah ... it has to be absolutely, utterly less than $500,000 . Ain't going to bust the bank for a self-stay apartment. Subiaco is about 1/2 an hour away, by car. Good enough for me. It's an ambitious plan - a "holiday" apartment in Perth, for a visa run....
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by carcajou
Albany is four hours from Margaret River, not one.

As a Regional West Australian let me just say there is so much more to this state than just Perth and wine . . .
Please excuse me, I meant to write it's a 4 hours drive from Perth to Albany. To save you the time in having to correct me again, it's about a 4 hour drive from Bedfordale, a southern suburb of Perth, to Albany. So about 4 and a half hours from Perth city.

As a West Australian for almost all of my 58 years, I do realize that there's more to WA than Perth and wine, and I've driven, hiked and camped in a great deal of it. My opinion of June being a bad time to go south is very different to yours, but to each their own.

The June nights are colder in Kalgoorlie than Margaret River.
Old May 2nd 2017, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Please excuse me, I meant to write it's a 4 hours drive from Perth to Albany. To save you the time in having to correct me again, it's about a 4 hour drive from Bedfordale, a southern suburb of Perth, to Albany. So about 4 and a half hours from Perth city.

As a West Australian for almost all of my 58 years, I do realize that there's more to WA than Perth and wine, and I've driven, hiked and camped in a great deal of it. My opinion of June being a bad time to go south is very different to yours, but to each their own.

The June nights are colder in Kalgoorlie than Margaret River.

Um, my response to you was not snarky, nor was my comment about there being more to the state than Perth and wine aimed at you. Stop being so defensive.

The poster is unfamiliar with the area and looking for tourism suggestions, and in that context there is a huge difference between a one-hour drive and a four-hour drive. That is why I made the correction.

Relax and have a good night.
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:01 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by carcajou
Um, my response to you was not snarky, nor was my comment about there being more to the state than Perth and wine aimed at you. Stop being so defensive.

The poster is unfamiliar with the area and looking for tourism suggestions, and in that context there is a huge difference between a one-hour drive and a four-hour drive. That is why I made the correction.

Relax and have a good night.
Old May 2nd 2017, 1:51 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Yeah ... it has to be absolutely, utterly less than $500,000 . Ain't going to bust the bank for a self-stay apartment. Subiaco is about 1/2 an hour away, by car. Good enough for me. It's an ambitious plan - a "holiday" apartment in Perth, for a visa run....
I live in Mount Hawthorn, so about 10 mins drive north of Subi and can see Subiaco Oval from the backyard. I work at the airport, so can confirm that I can get to the International Terminal in 25-40 mins depending on traffic.......which isn't really traffic if your used to M25 traffic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.