Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australias environmental collapse

Australias environmental collapse

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australias environmental collapse

I feel so sorry for these famers/people. I can't imagine living (a) in such remote places and (b) with no water and (c) the fear of nothing changing but actually getting worse as the land becomes beyond saving.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7577528.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7584592.stm

Heaven knows how this will affect the rest of Australia. No water is a serious issue...........where I sit know we got loads falling out the sky
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: Australias environmental collapse

It's a funny old country of extremes - some parts are desert, others the wettest on earth, guess these farmers will just have to move on, there's a big push to farm further north in the tropics where rainfall is plentiful.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 3:21 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
I feel so sorry for these famers/people. I can't imagine living (a) in such remote places and (b) with no water and (c) the fear of nothing changing but actually getting worse as the land becomes beyond saving.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7577528.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7584592.stm

Heaven knows how this will affect the rest of Australia. No water is a serious issue...........where I sit know we got loads falling out the sky
It does look bad

I posted a similar thread here
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Rain is the oil of the 21st century and Britain has it by the bucketload.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

In Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really niceIn Like Flynn is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Rain is the oil of the 21st century and Britain has it by the bucketload.
Clean drinkable water is the new oil! Look at the cost of a bottle of a litre of water compared to petrol. I think I heard a statistic somewhere saying only 10% of the worlds water supply is drinkable. Scary.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:25 am
Banned

techieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant futuretechieguy has a brilliant future

Where is it said that Australia has some of the highest rainfall in the world? I don't believe that.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techieguy
Where is it said that Australia has some of the highest rainfall in the world? I don't believe that.
Australia wastes most of its water.

Do you know they irrigate fields of rice and cotton with water from the Murray/Darling basin? - insanity! What the **** are we doing growing rice and cotton in the desert?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:34 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Australia wastes most of its water.

Do you know they irrigate fields of rice and cotton with water from the Murray/Darling basin? - insanity! What the **** are we doing growing rice and cotton in the desert?
trying to stop made in china signs
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:39 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techieguy
north qld gets on average 3.2 mtrs per year
i dont know how that pans aout against other places but its a bloody lot of wet stuff in my book

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...y-rainfall.cgi
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:41 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
north qld gets on average 3.2 mtrs per year
i dont know how that pans aout against other places but its a bloody lot of wet stuff in my book

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climat...y-rainfall.cgi
I detect that this thread was really set up for a stir rather than sensible debate
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Someone told me Sydney gets far far more rain in a year than London according to Wikipedia this is correct. It's not like it doesnt rain in Australia its just that it doesnt rain in 90% of the country plus they waste too much water.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:10 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
I detect that this thread was really set up for a stir rather than sensible debate
Am I missing something GG?

I posted a similar thread because it was in the news 2 days ago here in the U.K
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 11:44 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's only an issue if we, as humans, continue to resist the natural cadences, ebbs and flows of this planet.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

I am going to do my bit by switching from Evian to Sprite.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
I am going to do my bit by switching from Evian to Sprite.
I'll do my bit also drink beer and save the water for my pool

John

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.